• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Ecology? The salmon cannon

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, ok, the company spells it "canon", they say so as not to make it sound destructive, but that's just silly. This thing takes fish into one end and shoots them out the other. :snoopy:

What is the 'salmon cannon' and how do the fish feel about it?

The Guardian said:
Earlier this week, a video shot through the Twitter feed fray with the velocity of a fish hurtling through a pneumatic tube.

The short video (set to house music, strangely) is a compilation of clips showing variations of the fish-shooting technology that Washington-based company Whooshh first developed five years ago. Not only has the video given the internet an ideal subject of absurdist fascination to dethrone last week’s 30-50 feral hogs, it’s also raised a lot of questions, like, “Wait, what?”, and “How does the fish feel about this?” and, “Can they potentially do this with humans?” (I can’t be the only person who was wondering this.)

For answers, I got on the phone with Vince Bryan III, CEO of Whooshh Innovations and inventor of the Salmon Canon (purposely spelled with only one “n” to distinguish the eco-friendly invention from a murderous weapon). His company’s name is derived from the sound fish make as they fly over the high dams that otherwise may block their upstream migratory routes, preventing them from spawning (declining salmon stocks are an issue of critical importance in the Pacific north-west).

Do you have any plans to make a human-sized cannon?

Only to the extent that we’ll move sturgeon at some point. Large, 200-plus pound sturgeon, and that will require us to make a larger tube. And at that point we’ve got a long list of volunteers who have said that they would like to be the first, and if somebody wants to do it, they’re welcome to try.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really want someone to take the company video and dub, “Wheeeeeeeeeee!” over it for every fish. :ROFL:

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
I really want someone to take the company video and dub, “Wheeeeeeeeeee!” over it for every fish. :ROFL:

this + animated googly eyes = INSTANT virality

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
They're using this technology 'near' me, on the Fraser River in B.C., to get salmon around a landslide blocking the river. It's spawning time, and without this tech, we could lose the whole run for years to come.
So far, the salmon are moving, and the Fisheries Department is hoping to save 'many' of them. But, we still don't know if they'll be too rattled from their exciting adventure to spawn.
Fingers crossed, please.

The landslide hasn't completely blocked the river, but the bottleneck is making the water flow impassable for most of the fish. And, while crews are working to remove it, you can't just blast rock, 'cause that would kill the fish crowded around the base, like teenagers waiting to get into a club on Saturday night.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do think it sounds like a great tech, assuming it does what's claimed -- the "not harming the fish" part, 'cause it clearly moves 'em from points A to B. It's just one of those fortunate confluences of hilarious and useful that come along too infrequently.

"Wheeeeeeee!" --the fish

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

I want them to play "I Can't Drive 55".

Any species that makes the salmon cannon can't be all bad.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'd know the cannon was right up there with 'that's what salmon do', if you'd seen salmon jump Brooks Falls in Katmai, Alaska, and work themselves up the fish ladders at the Ballard Locks in Seattle (it was impossible to find a video of the salmon jumping their way up the ladder, the search engines were seriously lacking).

If you have seen these things in real life, then the idea of a dam cannon is fantastic!!! Salmon smack into rocks, they jump again and again up the ladder, smacking all the way. Compared to a cannon, I think the cannon would be less traumatic.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
There is evidently some problem with the cannon, as the latest reports are full of how many, many loads of salmon have been shifted upstream by the helicopter-bucketful.

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the cannon isn't working, or maybe just can't handle the necessary volume?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
They haven't said, but only a pitiful few salmon have made it upstream to spawn.