New way to passively resist the surveillance state?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fashion line designed to trick surveillance cameras

The Guardian said:
Automatic license plate readers, which use networked surveillance cameras and simple image recognition to track the movements of cars around a city, may have met their match, in the form of a T-shirt. Or a dress. Or a hoodie.

The anti-surveillance garments were revealed at the DefCon cybersecurity conference in Las Vegas on Saturday by the hacker and fashion designer Kate Rose, who presented the inaugural collection of her Adversarial Fashion line.

Rose credits a conversation with a friend, the Electronic Frontier Foundation researcher Dave Maass, for inspiring the project: “He mentioned that the readers themselves are not very good,” she said. “They already read in things like picket fences and other junk. I thought that if they’re fooled by a fence, then maybe I could take a crack at it.”

To human eyes, Rose’s fourth amendment T-shirt contains the words of the fourth amendment to the US constitution in bold yellow letters. The amendment, which protects Americans from “unreasonable searches and seizures”, has been an important defense against many forms of government surveillance: in 2012, for instance, the US supreme court ruled that it prevented police departments from hiding GPS trackers on cars without a warrant.

But to an automatic license plate reader (ALPR) system, the shirt is a collection of license plates, and they will get added to the license plate reader’s database just like any others it sees. The intention is to make deploying that sort of surveillance less effective, more expensive, and harder to use without human oversight, in order to slow down the transition to what Rose calls “visual personally identifying data collection”.

“It’s a highly invasive mass surveillance system that invades every part of our lives, collecting thousands of plates a minute. But if it’s able to be fooled by fabric, then maybe we shouldn’t have a system that hangs things of great importance on it,” she said.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the same idea would work with facial recognition software? Force-feed it portraits of ancestors, or animated figures, or artworks, etc, to clog the system?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The article actually mentions a fabric called the Hyperface pattern, designed to feed false positives to face recognition software.

I briefly worked for a startup that was trying to apply machine-learning to security cameras. (Interesting space, but wasn't a good place to work.) They had cameras all throughout the offices, with their software monitoring -- it was a testbed. The system was designed more to recognize a human than a particular human, with a goal of reducing false positives in monitored spaces.

The system would send "alerts" for possible "hits", and so we'd go through those alerts in the morning, mostly to see what it was getting wrong over night. It would catch family photos on people's desks (not bad), wrinkles in the fabric on coats draped over chairs (less good), moving shadows cast through the office windows from a tree near the building (less good), etc. SOmetimes you could sorta/kinda see what the software was "seeing". At other times it was, "Really? You thought that was a face??"

I know that this kind of software is getting better, and a big shop like Amazon will do a better job of it than that tiny startup. But I suspect the machine-learning ways of doing this have gone about as far as they can, and it'll take a new theory of facial-recognition to be dramatically better. That Hyperface fabric would absolutely mess with the "mind" of most machine-learning facial recognition software. :evil

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.... it would be great if tech could stay at that fuzzy level. But living in a surveillance state isn't all bad, yet neither is it all good: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/opinion/china-internet-surveillance.html

Privacy? Compromised.
Criminals? Captured / identified quickly.
Social order? Reinforced.
Social freedom? None / compromised.

And the list goes on.

Does Ms. Rose have a solution for fooling the Chinese cameras? If so, would be grand!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hmm.... it would be great if tech could stay at that fuzzy level. But living in a surveillance state isn't all bad, yet neither is it all good: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/opinion/china-internet-surveillance.html

Privacy? Compromised.
Criminals? Captured / identified quickly.
Social order? Reinforced.
Social freedom? None / compromised.

And the list goes on.

Does Ms. Rose have a solution for fooling the Chinese cameras? If so, would be grand!

Yeah, I was wondering if the ability to fool surveillance systems might not be exploited mainly by people who plan to commit crimes or acts of terror. Most everyday citizens don't really care, rightly or wrongly, if an airport camera or surveillance near an ATM records their image or not. We may even feel safer in some situations. Honestly, we've been putting up with cameras in some public places for decades (I remember them in stores when I was a little kid), and I've sometimes wished there was more photo enforcement of traffic laws. I do take a certain grim satisfaction when I see that camera flash when someone blows through an intersection on a red light.

The problem lies in drawing the line re reasonable expectation of privacy in a given setting versus a legitimate desire to promote public safety. And of course, there's the gnawing anxiety over when the government might step over the line and spy on people for more than overt criminal activity and simply start flagging us for saying or doing "suspiciously unpatriotic" things.