Table of Contents Issue

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but how do you go about adding a page with no heading and still getting it to go there? I have a couple pages before and after the story that I don't need or want headings for. I'm computer savvy, but apparently not that computer savvy. lol

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Just put the front ones in front of the first chapter heading, and don't make a new heading for the ones after. Heading = chapter, etc. highlighted and assigned Heading 1 style in Word. When you insert a TOC, it will automatically place all text assigned the Heading 1 style in it.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
If you're writing in Word, or in another word processor that does mostly the same thing, you can do it by inserting section breaks. Each section can have new headings. Section 1 will be your blank pages at the beginning. Then insert a section break to start at a new page. This will be a page you want a heading for. Insert your heading, making sure to turn off the "Continue previous header/footer" feature, which you do separately for the header and footer. You can have separate even and odd page headers. You can have separate first page headers. At the end of your document, create a new section break and don't use a header in it.

This sounds easy, though I've done many stupid things with headers/footers and sometimes had to re-do my whole document to get them right. Anticipate some trial and error for this.

Best Regards,
NDG

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand the question. What do you mean by headings? Chapters, or something else?

We're confusing each other. lol Sorry about that.

So, my copyright page. As of right now, the only way I can get it to show up on the ToC and automatically link to the page is if I write “Copyright” at the top in “Heading 1”. I do not want it on the page, but I don't know how to get it to automatically link it otherwise. I'm also having the same problem with the title page and the preview page for the next book.

I hope I did a better job explaining and that makes more sense.

Last edited:

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
We're confusing each other. lol Sorry about that.

So, my copyright page. As of right now, the only way I can get it to show up on the ToC and automatically link to the page is if I write “Copyright” at the top in “Heading 1”. I do not want it on the page, but I don't know how to get it to automatically link it otherwise. I'm also having the same problem with the title page and the preview page for the next book.

I hope I did a better job explaining and that makes more sense.

What do you mean by automatically link? I put my copyright page before anything else that has a "Heading 1" style. It will go in front of your first heading, with no heading above it. If that doesn't makes sense, PM me and I will send you a sample of what works.