Alan, new here, Hi, South Africa does have lions, just not in all the streets.

AlanEB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to contribute and engage with a lot of you here.

I write science fiction and fantasy, usually not both in the same book but we know how fiction goes.
I love to read fiction of most any kind, I enjoy biographies in non-fiction and have read a lot of manuals and things, but going back, definitely read more fiction than non fiction. Last time I donated my books to the library I gave in over five thousands books I had finished and kept a few years.

I started writing in my teens, had a burglary (not uncommon in SA) and had my boxy computer and all backup disks taken. Started again sometime later, then the third time was with a friend who pushed me to do it and I now have two books to my name, so progress indeed.

I do enjoy helping out a community of writers and aspiring writers, so I would be happy to see if I can help in any way. The world of writing, the landscape of digital distribution, its changing and has changed. Part of our ability to support each other comes first from being willing.

I still work a day job while writing, with the hope that I can switch to full time.
Until then I practice as much as possible and work to deadlines, while keeping up to date on many things science related.

Drop me a line whenever.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Disappointing to learn about your lion deficiencies. Are they only allowed on avenues and roads, then?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Alan. That's one interesting introduction.:welcome:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Then why do people live there? Are there giraffes on the streets? That'd be ok.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Alan! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat. Unlike you I tend to keep books forever. Like you, a burglary once derailed my writing plans.

Seconding Cornflake on the giraffes.

This is a great community—wacky and useful and everything at once. The whole site is lovely, but you'll probably find your people over in Science Fiction/Fantasy and if you like helping other writers, you can share your thoughts at Basic Writing Questions or the AW Roundtable. That's just a smattering of links—our lovely mod, Regdog, will have more.

Enjoy your time here!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Alan, from a fellow Joburger! Good to have you with us. 5000 books! that's crazy. That's like one a day for 13 years.

AlanEB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
:hi:

Disappointing to learn about your lion deficiencies. Are they only allowed on avenues and roads, then?

Our tree lined paths cover both cement, tar and dirt or gravel. Roads the same, without the trees but often surrounded by veld.

So when I say they are only allowed on dirt or gravel, that should tell you enough about where they can go on any named means of travel.

Of course that does not stop them, just where they are not allowed.

AlanEB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Isn't that a picture of a Lynx? Or maybe a bobcat?

We get lions, various kinds of deer, giraffes, elephants, jackals and hyena depending on where you stay and a lot of tortoise wandering around, the old ones blocking driveways at times.

Of course please do not take this as sensationalism, spend 40 years in country and you accumulate the rare occurrences.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude! Congratulations on being a South African author, seriously, kudos.

AlanEB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Giraffes are sticky animals, a bit uptight and snooty, they stick to the nature reserves of which one is probably only a days drive from anywhere you live in South Africa.
We get various other kinds of animals to make up for the scarcity of roaming lions, I think the giraffes are rubbing off on the wild animals and teaching them to start neighborhoods and secure zones for themselves.
By other animals I should probably expand to anything on legs, two, four, six eight, multitude....
Crawling and slimy beings are not discriminated against either, its an equal opportunity street filling kind of place.

Oh, and our shoes....

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for the welcomes.

skylessbird2218

I Don't Bite...
Registered
Reaction score
hi, alan, and welcome. for me, it wasn't a burglary, but ants.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

UchronianSteve

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there Alan, from Texas, USA-have been here for a little while myself(though not quite as involved on the forums as I anticipated to be at first-life's kinda gotten in the way of that), and I, too, am an active writer(who's hoping to become more so over the next few months or so). Hope you have fun here.....:)