Formatting and uploading to Amazon in 2019

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious if I'm on the right wavelength in my understanding of self-publishing through Amazon.

From my first foray into the KDP world (yesterday) it looks like I will upload my 'stuff' (manuscript, cover, etc) as an ebook. They walk me through the formatting and all the other details.

And then I can upload for POD, which is through Amazon too but uses basically the Create space system, which Amazon acquired. And the formatting will be different for POD, the steps a bit different, but the two processes (ebook and POD) are largely similar in process.

Does that sound right? Am I grokking how this works?

And -- the KDP-Select is an option I can take, and that would limit me to selling through Amazon but can have advantages... and I can switch back to regular KDP later if I want to expand my outlets?

And, if I buy a ISBN it will be consistent across platforms but if I suspect I won't use other platforms I might as well take Amazon's free identifier... Any other advantages to getting an ISBN independently and owning it?

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
but the two processes (ebook and POD) are largely similar in process.

Well, yeah, mostly...that is, the uploading process is similar. But don't forget that for an ebook, you can upload a word doc (but one that should be set up in certain ways) and all you need is the front cover. For print, you need to design the inside (and yes, having graphic design experience will give you a better looking book. Either that, or have it professionally formatted for you) and then have a wrap cover made, which includes the back cover and spine--and you'll need to have the interior done first so you know how many pages the finished book will be and thus how wide the spine.

I'd do some research before jumping in, because there are a lot of little fiddly things you need to know. For just one example, the word doc that you upload to Amazon for the ebook version? Go through it and make sure there aren't any extra spaces between words or at the ends of paragraphs, because that will mess up the finished layout. There's a lot of stuff like that to learn, and if you like detail work, you can learn to do it reasonably easily. If you're not detail-oriented, consider hiring it out.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've done a fair amount of detail level work. I think that part will be OK, and I have the cover artist lined up. (I assume I need the blurb and so on, ISBN maybe or bar code, for the cover artist?)

When I was poking around yesterday, it looked like the interior formatting for KDP/POD could be done through the KDP platform. They seem to claim that it uses the Create Space system (since they acquired it) and two of my local buddies used create space previously--with good results.

So I'm waffling on the 'hire a formatter' because these couple 'Create Space' books sitting next to me look decent, and based on the sales I expect (maybe five? Ha! If I'm lucky) the several hundred bucks for the extra polish of a professional formatter sounds like a loss. OTOH Marissa, it sounds like you've used the KDP setup since they took over Create Space so I don't want to screw up.

I mean, it goes without saying that I probably will.

Is Evergreen through KDP?

Last edited:

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
I never tried Kindle, but a friend uploads his MS Word manuscripts (with poetry) on KDP and they are distorted, i.e. a title that appears at the top of page 12 on MS Word, appears at the bottom of page 11 when the doc is uploaded on Kindle.

We tried to fix this problem a few times (making MS Word page frames 9X6 and then uploading), but on Kindle pages are distorted again.

Any idea how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I've done a fair amount of detail level work. I think that part will be OK, and I have the cover artist lined up. (I assume I need the blurb and so on, ISBN maybe or bar code, for the cover artist?)

Yes, for the POD you'll need all the stuff you want on the cover--back cover copy, taglines if any, ISBN if you decide you want to go beyond Amazon and make it available to a wider audience via IngramSpark. You don't need a bar code--KDP will put that in for you.

When I was poking around yesterday, it looked like the interior formatting for KDP/POD could be done through the KDP platform. They seem to claim that it uses the Create Space system (since they acquired it) and two of my local buddies used create space previously--with good results.

CreateSpace had been part of Amazon for years. They just decided to remove the illusion that it was a separate entity and rolled it into the KDP interface. I'm not as happy with that--I liked the CreateSpace uploading interface better (no, it's not the same.) What they have are templates that you download and insert your book into--which will involve some tweaking and adjusting and work on your part: it's not just a matter of uploading a word doc and voila!, it spits a print-ready pdf back out at you. I do my own interior design because I do have some graphic design abilities and like to make a pretty book. I'm fussy that way. I really have no idea if their templates turn out a book that would make me cringe or not.

So I'm waffling on the 'hire a formatter' because these couple 'Create Space' books sitting next to me look decent, and based on the sales I expect (maybe five? Ha! If I'm lucky) the several hundred bucks for the extra polish of a professional formatter sounds like a loss. OTOH Marissa, it sounds like you've used the KDP setup since they took over Create Space so I don't want to screw up.

I mean, it goes without saying that I probably will.

Is Evergreen through KDP?

Among other places; it will be out from my publisher's on-line store as well as through all the other usual suspects. And in print from both Amazon and everywhere else via IngramSpark.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Createspace has been genuinely replaced, not absorbed. Createspace and KDP print were borth available for some time, they have differences in many things including interior and cover formatting requirements.

For text I use the templates they provide and they seem more than adequate for a person familiar with how to use MSword styles.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Thank you for the input!

I think I'll keep plugging at learning the KDP stuff, but it sounds like I should also get the back blurb sorted before the cover artist starts working on my cover.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The biggest thing is knowing how to format properly in Microsoft Word. A lot of people make simple mistakes like hitting tab for the beginning of a paragraph instead of setting up the proper indent. I don't know if that's the case for you. At any rate, if you are good at formatting in Word, you'll probably have just a few things to clean up. If there are any sections where you did different things with formatting, make sure to check them. For me, those were the sections where I labeled Part I, Part II, etc.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
There are definitely a couple tabs skulking around in there.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
My process?

I write the ebook first, in Word. I get it edited, do proofing runs, etc... in other words completely vet it for errors, then publish the ebook. They will give you an ASIN number, like an ISBN. That is free. That is all you need.

I take the Kindle Word document, and then format it for KDP Print. Unlike the ebook, fonts, font sizes, gutters, margins, even/odd headers, etc. are relevant. What you will end up creating is a PDF version of the book. Look at a paperback novel. See how it is formatted. Make it look like that.

I use the same cover image for the KDP Print version, using their cover creation tool, where you can use your image as the front, and then fill in the text boxes for the back. They will give you a free ISBN. The cover creation tool will generate the correct bar code. I like to have the ISBN on the copyright page, so I don't upload the PDF until I get it and can insert it.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I never tried Kindle, but a friend uploads his MS Word manuscripts (with poetry) on KDP and they are distorted, i.e. a title that appears at the top of page 12 on MS Word, appears at the bottom of page 11 when the doc is uploaded on Kindle.

We tried to fix this problem a few times (making MS Word page frames 9X6 and then uploading), but on Kindle pages are distorted again.

Any idea how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Page numbers go away when the uploader converts the Word file in to the Kindle ebook format. You won't see page numbers. You do understand that an ebook has flowable text, to fit the reader device, correct? If the text is in the right place in relation to the titles, it should be good to go.

Also, as mentioned, there are strict format requirements available on the KDP website. If these are not followed, it will not look right.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Page numbers go away when the uploader converts the Word file in to the Kindle ebook format. You won't see page numbers. You do understand that an ebook has flowable text, to fit the reader device, correct? If the text is in the right place in relation to the titles, it should be good to go.

Also, as mentioned, there are strict format requirements available on the KDP website. If these are not followed, it will not look right.

Thank you for your reply... I spent time on things that do not interest me, just because my buddy decided to become a "poet".

Page numbers do not appear on Kindle, but I could see how a title has moved from where was supposed to be to another page.

Anyway, I will look for the KDP website...

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Read, read, read. There are tons of web articles on formatting and preparing your manuscript as well as designing and preparing covers. An ebook is much easier to format because you don’t have to worry about the mechanics of a printed book. An ebook cover, again, is fairly simple. A print cover must be formatted for your exact page count and paper thickness so the spine is the right size.

You can do all of this yourself, or you can hire someone to help you. If you do it yourself, you can format from your Word file but there are some fiddly things you need to get right.

If you have money and a Mac there is a program called Vellum that is very user friendly for formatting the insides of all the versions of your book (ebook and print for Amazon and for other vendors if you choose to use them). That still doesn’t take care of your cover. You can do that yourself or have a designer prepare it for you.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I've got folks lined up, but want to focus on the KDP part of it here so i can sort that out. I'm taking this research thing seriously and doing it in bite sized chunks.

I don't want to buy software for this--that's settled--I either want to use the KDP setup (which is why I'm asking about it here) or the folks I hired (definitely easier.)

The cover is settled. I've got a great artist lined up. The formatting, I'm waffling on. If KDP is easy and tends to work, then it seems worth it to learn it. I suppose I could try, and if I fail, hire a formatter after the fact.

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure you can do it. Good luck on your journey!

AlanEB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hi,

I recently published in KDP, and did so in the early 2015's as well, the process is much improved now in 2019.

I can honestly say that there is a lot of great help and assistance for KDP and the amazon crews are always willing to sort out any issues you might have.

They have a lot of FAQ's and threads with helpful links and topics so I will not repeat it all here, but to cover some of the questions I've seen.

KDP select nets you higher royalties and locks you into Amazon only, and yes you can change this later after a certain period expires.
KDP select also gives you more advertising and marketing options.

Do not confuse KDP select with Kindle Unlimited, this is a seperate feature where you share your work for reading and get paid by the page and not units sold. Its very helpful if you are on KDP select, its probably less helpful if you want raw sales. I think it will grow in popularity and I have earned royalties from it.

The books for hardcover and epub etc. have the mechanisms for upload, proofing, error handling, format handling and so on all on Amazon.
First tip:
The ebook and paperback are done separately, get your cover, do the book and get the ebook done first, there are a lot of great opensource and free ebook coverters that will help you with this, save as .mobi format and you can open your book in kindle and see how it will look.
With that done you then start a paperback upload linked to the ebook, then you can use the Amazon paperback creator to make a paperback cover, including the ISBN positioning etc.

PM me if you want any other help, also go look at TCK publishing who have a great many free resources that explain details of amazon self publishing.

I'm happy to help.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Thanks Alan!!!

All of that made perfect sense to me. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
So my cover is being designed and this is very exciting, and I have a question about the ISBN number.

The cover artist will place the ISBN and barcode if I provide the number. I don't have a number yet. My understanding is that if I publish through Amazon (I intend to do that, KDP/KU and POD), I will be given a 'free' ISBN and barcode. (I planned to do this--after I have the formatting/cover/etc finished.) Or, I could pay for an ISBN number now, separate from Amazon.

I'm puzzling over whether I should try to start the self publishing with Amazon in order to get the free number, so that i can send it to the cover artist as he's working on the art. Or if I should shell out the bucks to buy a number independent of Amazon. (I don't want to.) Or if I should not worry, stick to plan A which is to get the free barcode after everything else is all lined up, and wherever the (free) ISBN ends up through Amazon/KDP/KU, it won't really matter to the reader's experience anyway.

Any thoughts about this? I see that Alan (two posts up) recommends positioning the ISBN manually at the end. That might be all I need, upon reflection.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Have the cover artist leave a blank space on the back cover in the appropriate position (lower right side--he/she will know where.) When you upload the cover, Amazon will put the barcode/ISBN etc. into that space for you. Nothing to fret over.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Have the cover artist leave a blank space on the back cover in the appropriate position (lower right side--he/she will know where.) When you upload the cover, Amazon will put the barcode/ISBN etc. into that space for you. Nothing to fret over.

This. There's a checkbox when you upload the cover to say whether the cover has the bar code on it already. If it doesn't, they generate the bar code and add it to the book using either their ISBN or one you provide them. Only reason you might want to generate your own bar code is if you want the price included. The Amazon cover template shows where they put the bar code so you can leave any crucial text or images out of that area.