Ursula Le Guin Steering The Craft

AW Amazon Store

AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Formatting and uploading to Amazon in 2019

Threaded View

practical experience, FTW

Formatting and uploading to Amazon in 2019

I'm curious if I'm on the right wavelength in my understanding of self-publishing through Amazon.

From my first foray into the KDP world (yesterday) it looks like I will upload my 'stuff' (manuscript, cover, etc) as an ebook. They walk me through the formatting and all the other details.

And then I can upload for POD, which is through Amazon too but uses basically the Create space system, which Amazon acquired. And the formatting will be different for POD, the steps a bit different, but the two processes (ebook and POD) are largely similar in process.

Does that sound right? Am I grokking how this works?

And -- the KDP-Select is an option I can take, and that would limit me to selling through Amazon but can have advantages... and I can switch back to regular KDP later if I want to expand my outlets?

And, if I buy a ISBN it will be consistent across platforms but if I suspect I won't use other platforms I might as well take Amazon's free identifier... Any other advantages to getting an ISBN independently and owning it?
    Last edited by Patty; 08-13-2019 at 09:21 PM.