The Best (Free) E-Book Converter?

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I downloaded Calibre, but I can't figure out how to edit and change the font size of the title page with epub and it won't let me edit MOBI versions at all. Is there a better (and easier) software to go with?

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
For fiction, there is really no advantage. Amazon's preferred upload format is a Word document.

I never tried Kindle, but a friend uploads his MS Word manuscripts (with poetry) on KDP and they are distorted, i.e. a title that appears at the top of page 12 on MS Word, appears at the bottom of page 11 when the doc is uploaded on Kindle.

We tried to fix this problem a few times (making MS Word page frames 9X6 and then uploading), but on Kindle pages are distorted again.

Any idea how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
MSword works fine if you use paragraph styles exclusively. You can't do things like use the tab or space bar to indent paragraphs. You need to set styles for text, headings and titles and apply them uniformly. If in doubt use the Amazon-provided templates and pasted in text to adopt the formatting without changing anything. Do not use, at all, page numbers and other paperback style features. You can't force where page breaks appear other than at the end of the poem/chapter--the text is reflowable. Failing that use Liberwriter for about $40 per book.

Last edited:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Are you looking for something that can create epub as well? if not, Kindle Create is really easy to use and gives great results, including drop caps, table of contents, has built in themes, etc, but it's limited to publishing on Kindle.