Why Is It That Almost Every Sci-Fi Series Has ONE Kind Of FTL?

18-Till-I-Die

Registered
Reaction score
So this is something I have been working on for a whole, an attempt to create a broader range of faster-than-light travel technology, somewhat unique even for the different factions or races seen in the setting. Some are fixed, and therefore faster and more stable but more expensive, but others are FTL drives and therefore more cost efficient but also much slower and more fickle. This is partly because of something I noticed in sci-fi, which to me strikes me as bizarre. It always struck me as strange (perhaps "unrealistic" isn't the right word considering the genre) that seemingly every race in a given universe or setting all use the same kinds of FTL.

Like, I can understand that perhaps the Federation nation-states all use Warp Drives as a matter of course, but why would the Dominion or the Kazon or the Borg use it too? Why would the Klingons? When these races all existed for millennia or more before mankind, what possible reason would it be they ALL developed identical technology? I can even kind of see why all of them having phasers and disruptors is bizarre, but I can at least suspend disbelief for this because "X gun uses biggest boom, so we'll design a version of it" is kind of a realistic military strategy. But if the physics exist to allow for faster-than-light travel, why does it seem so stale?

Another example, but ironically one that gives a kind of explanation, is Mass Effect. The premise being that virtually all FTL travel is achieved via Mass Relays, which is technology far beyond the ken of the younger races in the galaxy. But even then, no one developed anything else? Or just decided to use relativistic travel? Or maye even some naturally evolved or naturally extant form of FTL like a wormhole network? The explanation given is more logical than most at least...not surprisingly because it's better written than Star Trek but I digress...

So one of the main bullet points (like nine out of fifteen on the list) when I was worldbuilding the setting for the series is the idea that there are numerous different forms of faster-than-light travel, most "fixed" and the rest "drives", which were developed independent of each other and kind of unique to specific regions, factions or races. For example the most widely used is a network of wormholes which also serve as communications networks, but this requires you "build" (for lack of a better term) wormholes and "pair" them like bluetooth meaning you have to get to a system first them set up the wormhole and pair it to another system. After that it's instantaneous travel between the two, but because the gates are all situated at specific distances this means traveling from one side of the gate network to the other (approx. 70,000 light-years) takes a year, but traveling the same distance using FTL drives (specifically the ones used by this larger faction) would take fifteen years since they go way, way slower. That's one example, there are twenty others.

Just me spouting random ideas, but I was wondering if anyone thinks the idea of EVERYONE in a given setting all using the same weapons, drives, etc is unusual and more so what is the main..."reason" I guess is the term? Like I would like to imagine it's not just laziness or a paucity of ideas, but maybe it would seem like too much of a mishmash of concepts? What do you think, is the idea of multiple very broad FTL concepts too out there or a good idea or not?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine doesn't.

But the reason, obviously, is because we are limited traveling around the Universe without FTL travel.

The kinds of FTL people have imagined are many.

Star Trek's warping space is a valid idea.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not entirely sure what you're asking.

Let's talk about the different ways to build a nuclear fission reactor. I think they fundamentally all "burn" a fissionable fuel to create neutrons, the desired end product being electricity. Some do it by using neutrons to heat water into steam, which turns turbines, which makes electricity. Some (small ones, for space applications) heat something (not sure what -- not water) and then convert that heat directly to electricity.

Are you asking, for FTL engines in SF, why aren't there the equivalent of the many variants of fission reactors?

Or, why aren't there entirely different physics in SF, such that some FTL drives (say) go through "subspace", while others tunnel a wormhole, while others change the fundamental speed of light locally or something?

If the former, pretty sure every species building an FTL drive that operates on some common physics would be implementing it slightly differently?

Whereas if the latter, I dunno. I guess it seems optimistic to hope for even one way to do it, given the physics we know today? :evil

Also, seems likely that if there were different physics to be exploited, there'd be advantages and disadvantages for each. Maybe the reason all species are shown using similar drives is that all of them have arrived at the same kind of drive because they're using them similarly? Like, some might use more fuel, or have unshielded side-effects on passengers, or be efficient but slow, etc.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
My guess is that, since FTL is more or less "science magic" at this point (I believe there may be ideas or theories, but nothing remotely close to practical application), the idea is that there wouldn't be that many ways to achieve it. A rocket is a rocket on any planet, after all, and physics are physics. Convergent evolution, technology style.

For writing purposes, it gives a story a framework: the Macguffin Drive can do This and This but not That, so That would be a plot complication and This or This can be relied upon. Species X's Macguffin Drives may be more efficient sprinters, and Species Y's may hold up better long-haul, while Species Z has an experimental new fuel delivery system that produces great results but is potentially unstable, but generally there's things the reader knows they can or cannot do, possibilities and limitations. Create too many ways to zip around, and you might risk having too confusing an array of Thises and Thatses - wait, Species A uses a wormhole-cannon, but B uses a warp bubble... how is that going to interact, especially when Species C zooms on up to Species D's stargate in a subdimensional fusion technobabble drive, and can they even exist with the same physics? The more ways you come up to travel FTL, the more you're going to have to figure out how they mix and mingle, and if they're even possible in the same universe given the stretch in physics to accommodate them.

IMHO, all this energy put into myriad FTL possibilities in the same universe might be better spent elsewhere in the novel. Ultimately, your job is to tell a story. Do all these different means of travel serve your story, or is it just a mental exercise or personal indulgence? Will the reader be able to keep track of them - and will they have any incentive to? Is there a point beyond "look, cool physics!"?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
The thing is, faster-than-light travel pretty much breaks the entire universe. So fictionally, you have to have some sort of explanation about why the universe isn't broken. Keeping track of a bunch of those...less fun. And as Brightdreamer points out, unless your story is about the Technology Wars, it's probably more than your readers want to handle.

18-Till-I-Die

Registered
Reaction score
lizmonster, brightdreamer:

Well part of it is kind of self-indulgence, in that I enjoy exploring the logical limits of a setting, but yes it does have a direct impact on the setting as well. The example of the wormhole gates (not the actual name, mind you) directly applies to communications and travel times. It's one of the three main forms of interstellar communications available, and so it directly applies to most or all forms of communication. Plus the effects of the travel time (each "paired" gate is a defined entry or exit point for another "paired" gate, so any non FTL ships have to travel set routes which can take nine months to a year to travel 70,000 LY) directly effect the story, so instead of ships just hopping from here to there in incongruous times it takes a set time to get somewhere, even if communications is literally instantaneous. This also creates "true routes" controlled by companies, who may or may not charge for this even if you're part of their nation, nominally, since they're effectively corporate dynasties and have almost complete autonomy plus their own militaries.

Certain regions also don't gate these gates, they use other types of these mass, commercial FTL systems, as opposed to FTL drives which tend to be military or corporate ships, and their FTL may be faster or slower or less stable etc, which directly effects military planning or how to access a region--if your entire military is used to employing wormhole hubs, but they only have these older, cruder "drift points" to use which are just as effective but WAY slower and only so many ships can "drift" at once, suddenly your fleet is half as fast and has to move piecemeal. It's like if a nation on Earth depended on, like, a certain fuel and now they have to use this older equivalent when over in Afghanistan, which works but requires more frequent fill-ups and the vehicles all run slower (for whatever reason) so your whole strategy changes in that region.

A kind of underlying concept also is that FTL drives are just way, way less safe--most rely on what can only be called "fickle" laws of physics or even rare fuel sources, so if you screw up you may end up with your whole fleet out of fuel in a system with no other FTL systems...or thrown backwards in time, or disappear entirely only to reappear a millennium later, or turn into a cloud of radioactive dust, or end up in the middle of a LARP of the Event Horizon script. The risk increases the further you go. So they tend to be shorter ranged by necessity if not design and used almost exclusively by military vessels or by corporations for short "hops". Civilian ships have none, basically.

Which again directly ties into military strategy. Realistically this means a fleet can come at you from any angle, even if you lock down the "conventional" routes and paths in and out of the system, but this is slow, ungainly, can be "tracked" at a distance.

Just an idea.

Introversion:

Yes I was kind of thinking of the latter question, like because FTL doesn't work on the same principle as just a rocket, it seems to be something beyond the ken of what we understand as physics now (which is probably next to nothing, but I digress) so it seems other groups may have other means. Some may have seen, or had access to something, so wildly different it opened a door we literally couldn't imagine, and vice versa. So the idea of EVERYONE just building the same thing seems...off to me. Maybe it's because I'm OCD so I spend too much time thinking about it. But it seems like it limits the ways it can effect a story for simplicity's sake.

MaeZe:

I'm one of those weirdos who thinks we may, like a millennium from now, develop genuine faster-than-light travel. If only because like a century ago, people thought walking on the Moon was some kind of insane fantasy. So maybe in 3060 people will look back on how we never believed Jump Gates would work and think it's as absurd as the people who used to think space flight was never going to happen. But I'm also a borderline hippie spiritualist lol

18-Till-I-Die

Registered
Reaction score
God I'm stupid lol

"True routes". I meant TRADE routes, or shipping lanes, take your pick the terms are used interchangeably in the setting.

katfireblade

Fluffy lurker in shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I always figured we likened FTL to cars--all cars are capable of going at least 80 mph, usually more like 100 mph. They drive basically the same speed limits. Subconsciously influenced by this, writers imagine space travel to be much like road travel--all engines are built to a base standard of speed and so everyone gets around much the same.

There's a certain amount of sense to this too--it standardizes space travel (aka, trade, business, and all those cogs that keep societies running), and is certainly what would eventually happen organically. I mean, if XYZ race had craft twice as fast as ours, you better bet we'd beg, borrow, steal, or murder to get out hands on one so we could duplicate whatever the heck they did. And as for Joe Blow and his adorable little tweaks that just made his family sedan-style ship three times as fast, hey, we can either buy his secrets or steal them.

That said, I have frequently seen nods to other races having ships that were faster, or the military or other government organizations, or small agile craft run by thieves--you know, where you'd expect a little more power. However, the story always seems to take place in a smuggler's craft, or a military vehicle, or some upper echelon exploration vehicle so we always wind up with the elite rides. Rarely do we see the universe through the eyes of Johnny Rich's pleasure craft, which is plenty fast but no match for the local law enforcement vehicles; or the plodding mining craft; or the space truckers.

Maybe it's not a problem with world creation so much as focus. I mean, we really do like our fast rides. :ROFL:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I am a reader, and what I don't want in a story is tons of technical stuff just for the sake of technical stuff.

In the same way that I don't care about the specific make the police cars are, unless it makes a difference to the story, I don't care how the FTL or other ways of gadding about the universe actually works.

Space ship go fwoosh! is all I really need, unless, as in 'The Cold Equations', it makes an important part of the plot.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think, is the idea of multiple very broad FTL concepts too out there or a good idea or not?
In a tv show or in real life? ;) In a tv show it's much easier to explain it once and then just use the same tech over and over without the need to take time off each episode to introduce a new drive used by some new characters. Even if the authors of the show had the imagination to invent so many different drives, I don't think the general public will tolerate having a miniature lecture on different alien techs in each episode. It gets way too repetitive. In real life - we don't know yet, it's all 100% invented so if you have a world where each alien planet has invented their own FTL method, that's perfectly okay. It doesn't seem strange to me either way.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to think of FTL drive as the fictional gubbins to allow one to get to the meat of the story in a SF tale. As lizmonster said up thread, FTL breaks the universe. Much as I love Trek, its FTL travel is pretty much fantasy, but I'll happily suspend my disbelief, if a writer spins a neat yarn that entertains.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I tend to think of FTL drive as the fictional gubbins to allow one to get to the meat of the story in a SF tale. As lizmonster said up thread, FTL breaks the universe. Much as I love Trek, its FTL travel is pretty much fantasy, but I'll happily suspend my disbelief, if a writer spins a neat yarn that entertains.

This is the thing. (Not to carp on this, but I actually think about it quite a bit for my own work. :)) With one FTL system, you have to cope with relativity in one way. You write some mumble-ansible phrases, assert some limits, and go from there.

With multiple FTL systems - wormholes, FTL drives, etc. - you've got relativity coming at you all over the place. Which is fine; I mean, if you think about it long enough, you realize that successful FTL travel also implies the possibility of time travel, and everything goes to mush.

The point being, the more you complicate the issue, the more variables you have to deal with, and the more likely you are to collide with the real-world truth that FTL travel makes things really weird. Which can be wonderful fodder for an SF story - but only if it's the point.

Which isn't to discourage you! Write what you want to write. But you may want to consider writing it all down and setting it aside as a series bible, without inserting too many details into your narrative.

18-Till-I-Die

Registered
Reaction score
This is actually a really interesting discussion to dive into, maybe it is just me being OCD but the actual applications are interesting to talk about in-universe...

Katfireblade:
Well that's the thing though, is that there are demonstrable differences between cars, between military and civilian vehicles, between the vehicles and amenities available to the rich and poor. A maserati is demonstrably different than a Tesla which in turn is different in numerous ways from a relic car from 20 years ago, and all are completely different than the vehicles a military has access to. They're similar in function (a car and an electric car and a military truck all "get you from here to there quickly") but simply by necessity they're wildly different in how they do that and what that means in context. Obviously, a military truck is far more hardy and durable than a Tesla but probably not as fast, as one is designed for civilians to get around in Los Angeles and assuage their Liberal guilt to get around in a city, and likewise an SUV is designed for cities but has greater carrying capacity probably at the cost of speed. They all do the same thing, in theory, but in context no army would replace their cargo trucks with electric cars for obvious reasons lol

I was also thinking of frankly some races developed this or that technology and never told anyone how. It may require specific conditions or even specific resources, or at least knowledge, only they have and if they monopolize it or it proves impractical to outsiders then they have access to it and no one else does. An example being one faction uses a separate wormhole hub to the rest of the universe, but their gates are "ghosted", hidden between stars in such a way as to be all but impossible to detect, and normally they use relativistic drives which are already almost impossible to detect--so they can just pop up anywhere and no one has any idea where or how they'll show up, to the degree some less advances races attribute it to outright magic. So obviously Faction A wants to keep this network hidden from Factions B, C and D because of the strategic advantage despite being somewhat slower and less widespread (allegedly, no one knows how huge this "ghost gate" network is, as it's hidden, so it could eclipse the corporate wormhole hubs).

Frimble3:
IDK that seems kind of...limiting to the story. That's kind of what always struck me as being out-there about Star Trek, they never had any logical reason for why anyone did anything or any race had any technology beyond just "Group X has cloaking". Which to me, seems stagnant. I almost kind of liked the "Bio-Ship" dudes from Voyager showing up and swatting the Borg aside, as it shows how stagnant and weak they were now. They'd become fat with power and got obliterated as soon as a (marginally, not even that much) more advanced race showed up.

Curlz:
Well, I find it could be easy to do in a few sentences. One book I suggest would be Bolo Strike, where they introduce an entire alien fleet, it's structure and weaponry ("slasher" starfighters, relativistic kinetic missiles, monitors with main guns firing relativistic missiles, etc) all in literally a few sentences, maybe a paragraph--most of it describing the battle itself an not the technology. And in doing so they give not just an image of the enemy fleet, but how it works, the order of battle and the weapons in a heart beat. It's complicated stuff but summarized in a sentence or two, and instantly you realize what they mean (describe the "relativistic battleships", then say their "kilometer long railguns" were firing, then describe them hitting the good guy's ships and how it unleashes "tens of megatons" per shot--bang one sentence you know everything about that technology, ship design, firepower, etc without even leaving the description of the battle sequence).

The Lensmen series does this fantastically too. *puts on Lensman fanboy hat* They manage to describe incredibly complex worldbuilding about their FTL drives, their weapons and how this effects military engagements in a couple of paragraphs, much of it being a description of a BATTLE SEQUENCE, and by the end you instantly know what they're talking about and half is presented as off-hand descriptions of the technology between paragraphs describing combat scenes. It's incredibly well written. And in doing so it gives a level of depth and power in the setting that makes you understand just how absurd and galaxy-spanning these people are, when the Lesnmen and the Boskonian Empire (yes that's their actual name) are throwing antimatter bombs ("Nega-Bombs") the size of planets at each other through wormhole cannons across intergalactic distances.

Granted both these books were written by seasoned authors who know what they're doing, so God only knows if I could...

Lizmonster:
Well I'm one of those crazy people who thinks we may develop FTL someday...by someday I mean in the 32nd century mind you. For the record, yes I do have a huge "world bible" I set up, again because I'm OCD lol

I also wanted to try and integrate it into the storytelling, as I said to develop the world around these technologies. The example of how some regions may have a wildly different system available, so you need to change your military strategy, is what I mean. But yes, FTL drives are kind of inherently time travel devices, which is why I was saying that if you don't use more stable "fixed" FTL, then the result is you may get thrown backwards in time or vanish entirely or get pitched into Hell, etc. So almost no civilian vessels have FTL drives almost as a safety measure--the same way we don't allow military grade nuclear reactors on civilian fishing boats, even if they could fit one, because the danger is too great if something goes wrong. Obviously a few "outlaws" or crime syndicates do though.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think the reason most SF universes with FTL contain one and only one type of FTL is a function of the rule of narrative conservation. All FTL is magic, as Lizmonster says. It's handwaving a bypass to the known laws of nature for narrative purposes. It's an SF convention that you're allowed one free trick like that, with all its ripple effects on the story verse. IOW, you can break the universe once and get away with it for the sake of letting the story happen. If you're really good, maybe you get another freebie or two that do different things for your story. (So, you can maybe have FTL AND psi powers in the same story. You can juggle AND throw knives. If you're good enough.)

But two different universe-breaking systems in the same story, that both serve the same narrative function (i.e. transport within the story timeline)? That's really stretching the reader's tolerance for impossible things. We already let you pull warp drives out of your sleeves, so where have you been hiding those wormholes?

Could be you've got a good reason for it. Could be you can talk really fast to obfuscate the fact that all your FTL systems are impossible IN DIFFERENT WAYS and completely incompatible with each other.Could be you've got a whole deck of "Get out of Relativity FREE" cards hidden up your writing shirt. Could be your handwaving is skillful enough to defy all the hole-poking picky readers will try. Or it could be your attempt falls flat and readers throw your book against the wall. Or, more damningly, shrug & move on to something else by someone else.

If you're really, really, really good at SF storytelling, you can massively flout the conventions of the genre and get away with it and people will give you awards & ask for more.

If you're not that good... :Shrug:

Last edited:

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Like, I can understand that perhaps the Federation nation-states all use Warp Drives as a matter of course, but why would the Dominion or the Kazon or the Borg use it too? Why would the Klingons? When these races all existed for millennia or more before mankind, what possible reason would it be they ALL developed identical technology?

There are perhaps too many SF worlds in movies and TV series that simply don't differentiate various sentient species in a believable way. It's even more striking to me that those Star Trek species would just happen to be bipedal oxygen breathers with psychology and behavior very similar to humans. This is also a problem in many novels, but perhaps because of production constraints it is more common in filmed entertainment.

There are quite a few authors who have attempted a more plausible hard SF approach to aliens in novels and short stories. Gregory Benford for one has written books featuring massive sentient magnetic fields, gas clouds, blobs of ethane on ice worlds, even a rogue sentient black hole capable of FTL locomotion etc.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
FTL is fun, but I try to figure out how much time passes in hyperspace relative to our dimension and my brain breaks. I tend to prefer the bonkers explanations for FTL to the more plausible ones (Bistromathics, anyone?).

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Star Trek in particular, I can think of at least four different kinds of getting-around techs: Standard warp drive, a weird teleportation thing used in one episode that had a bad habit of damaging the passenger, trans-warp as used by the Borg, and whatever was used to move Voyager to the other side of the galaxy--which I will assume was the same tech used to move the Enterprise to the center of the galaxy in the episode "The Nth Degree." Plus of course there are wormholes as in DS9.

What's notable about this list is that two of the techs require advanced technology, which none of the standard Star Trek races has arrived at yet. One has a clear disadvantage, and you'd probably scrap that one pretty fast. And if you think about how a civilization develops, they'll tend to discover alternatives in the same order, and they'll generally tend to scrap the dangerous ones as soon as they discover safer ones. So a largely parallel development track results in a largely parallel level of tech for a similar age of civilization.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Liaden series - two different types of FTL - one that all the humans use, the other and very different in the way it runs was created by a race that look like giant turtles are very long lived and tend to think of humans as a bit ephemeral. In a couple of the books the differences between the drives operation, and also how the passengers on the ship are affected, are important to the plots.

BillL

Registered
Reaction score
To offer one possible answer why multiple different alien races could all discover the same technology: it's honestly not that hard to believe. Is it likely that each of these different alien races were once protozoic amoeba in their own primordial oceans? Did they evolve into tiny fish who eventually stumbled into their unique air and sunlight? Did they discover fire and farming and irrigation? If the fictional aliens in a sci-fi work are remotely relatable to human civilization, then even though they probably took wildly different paths to get to their present forms, it's not hard to imagine that they hit certain familiar technological milestones during their evolution.

Trying to ignore the FTL question altogether isn't a good option considering the stunning amount of time it would take for residents of different solar systems to reach each other. Just as this is a challenge the author has to resolve to build a logical narrative, the fictional aliens must decide how to approach the FTL reality they live in. FTL capability is the barrier to entry for any galactic travel or collaboration. So a democratic, "fair" civilization would probably ensure every party has access to the same technology to level the playing field and welcome as many species as possible. A less-friendly universe might hoard such technology unevenly or deliberately restrict "undesirable" aliens to inferior forms of FTL technology.

Imagine if you could only use Twitter by mailing handwritten tweets to the government while more well-off citizens were free to use the internet. That would be ridiculous--and FTL travel in a grand sci-fi extravaganza is just as big a deal as the internet, if not more so. It seems natural for a sci-fi story to let everybody play with the same deck of cards because otherwise, the overwhelming advantage of denying a rival the most powerful reality-breaking tool in existence makes it hard to devise a "fair" conflict.

Also, if we're talking about Mass Effect, I remembered an extremely informative event from the development of another game: Stellaris. Bear with me: early-ish in the game's development, players could choose between THREE different types of FTL travel to move between solar systems. One was slow but had freedom of choosing destinations, one was fast but required you to stay on the galactic roads, and one was a weird wormhole-driven thing which required construction of certain facilities to enable travel. The developers controversially removed these choices and replaced them with a single option for FTL travel. The original idea was to give players choices in what advantages they could exploit and when... but the problem with FTL travel is the magnitude of efficiency it offers. In the right situations, one form of FTL was overwhelmingly superior to the others to the point where conflicts became insurmountable. You could orchestrate one military chokepoint based on your movement options compared to your opponent's and completely demolish them in a fight. It was also too complicated for new players to learn and just... too much. So they simplified things to a comprehensible, fair system where conflicts could play out based more on planning and reason, not overwhelming advantages based purely on luck.

Back to how it relates to writing: if an infinitely huge galaxy invents an infinite number of FTL travel methods, someone is going to have an overwhelming advantage at some point. Whether the conflict in the story is military, political, economic, personal, or existential, if a race against time ever factors into the story, one FTL method will win and the other will lose and it would take a fluke or a miracle to unbalance the playing field in the opposite direction. Maybe you're imagining a setting where there are many versions of FTL travel but they all offer similar performance--but if that's the case, why bother mentioning it? It's way easier to pick one set of rules and stick to it. Otherwise, you end up with explanations and hypothesizing almost as long-winded as this post I just wrote.

Azdaphel

Registered
Reaction score
If every species live in the same universe, then they are bound by the same laws of physic. So they are bound to use similar ways to travel but the most advanced may have more efficient technology. There are different theories on how we could travel to distant stars, but unless you understand those theories, I'd advise against imagining many different ways to travel. If you do understand them, they can give you plenty of ideas but don't overdo it.

Don't forget that behind all theories about space travel there are the theories of Einstein.

Max Burke

Registered
Reaction score

I've always wondered the same thing. Most everyone here as already pulled up the main reasons why it is like that. Either just for simplicity's sake, or used as a theme for the story or world.
I'll pull up an example: Take this quote from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda: Dylan Hunt once said: "Slipstream Drive, It's not the best way to travel faster than light, it's just the only way."
The story tries to have a cohesive world, where everything makes sense in it's own logic. In science fiction, not everything can be completely consistent with real-world science and physics,
but it can at least be internally consistent with it's own definition of science and physics. It wouldn't make any sense to have two species develop two completely different forms of
FTL travel technology. Especially if they operated on completely different interpretations of science and physics. That's why most science fiction avoids having too broad of spectrum of technology,
it's harder to explain, and boring to everyone except us nerds. It would certainly be possible, and quite interesting to read about a sci-fi world where each specie has developed their own
entirely unique and different technologies, they would just need to both operate under the same interpretation of science and physics. It would just require a lot more careful world building.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Relativity is not the final theory. Probably not. What goes on inside the event horizon of a black hole, for example, "breaks" relativity.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, faster-than-light travel pretty much breaks the entire universe. So fictionally, you have to have some sort of explanation about why the universe isn't broken. Keeping track of a bunch of those...less fun. And as Brightdreamer points out, unless your story is about the Technology Wars, it's probably more than your readers want to handle.

So generally the less explanation of FTL the better. Iain Banks broke all the rules there with a multimodal FTL and time travel to other universes etc.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
So generally the less explanation of FTL the better.
When you're making up something whole clothe, that's generally a good idea because the more detail you put into why this made-up, unrealistic thing is totally realistic and works according to the rules as we know them, the more chances you have of screwing it up in ways that casual readers will recognize.

One of the more common demonstrations of this is giving the tech a concrete speed limit and being meticulous in distances between places. A trip that takes three weeks at max speed at one point of the narrative takes three days some time later.