Going to Belfast Ireland - must stop places if I have a day? (warning:large IMG at thread end 800px)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I’ll be there in Sept for a week for work and MIGHT get a day on my own to take the camera out and about. Unlikely I’ll have a rental car. Where would one go if I’ll be in the Dublin Belfast area with 24 hours?

Last edited:

SAWeiner

Reaction score
The Archaeology Museum there was really impressive.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Grrr...as it turns out, the week of meetings will be in Belfast, not Dublin...updated thread title accordingly.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you've got a full day, I'd take a look at one of the bus tours like this one.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
If you've got a full day, I'd take a look at one of the bus tours like this one.

Just got word today that my boss’s boss is going to take us on a trip to the North Shore and stop at the Causeway. Great suggestions though, thanks! :Clap:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Love, love, love, love Northern Ireland. The "big" attractions have recently been completely overrun with Game of Thrones tourists (they even drive their tour buses into places with great big "No Tour Buses" signs). Hopefully that will die down soon (they've completely taken over Seville and Croatia as well). I was first at the Giant's Causeway in 2000, and was last there in September 2018. It's almost out of control at the moment.

Most Giant's Causeway tours will take you to Dunluce Castle, which is definitely one of the highlights of the country. It's absolutely spectacular. I also love the area around Enniskillen, but nobody on a short trip to Belfast is going to make it there.

Belfast has the incredible Titanic museum, which has won a bunch of international awards, and the SS Nomadic beside it, which is the last White Star Line ship in existence. Also, the city's old pubs are fantastic.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
If you're a Game of Thrones fan, the touring exhibition is open until 8th September - https://www.gameofthronesexhibition.co.uk/ (my sister and her husband were in Belfast last weekend to see it and the Giant's Causeway).

I leave Saturday, so get in Sunday am - not sure I'll make it in time...getting to Belfast around 3 and tours end at 5...*yawn* Will try, though it looks like there are still plenty of tix available though not sure I want to buy in advance should my itinerary force me to miss it.

Love, love, love, love Northern Ireland. The "big" attractions have recently been completely overrun with Game of Thrones tourists (they even drive their tour buses into places with great big "No Tour Buses" signs). Hopefully that will die down soon (they've completely taken over Seville and Croatia as well). I was first at the Giant's Causeway in 2000, and was last there in September 2018. It's almost out of control at the moment.

Most Giant's Causeway tours will take you to Dunluce Castle, which is definitely one of the highlights of the country. It's absolutely spectacular. I also love the area around Enniskillen, but nobody on a short trip to Belfast is going to make it there.

Belfast has the incredible Titanic museum, which has won a bunch of international awards, and the SS Nomadic beside it, which is the last White Star Line ship in existence. Also, the city's old pubs are fantastic.

Great ones, tks :) Any pub recommendations for those who enjoy single malts?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I know very little about single malts, but there are aged versions of Jameson's available only in Ireland.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Update: Game of Thrones exhibit was surprisingly good, albeit a bit pricey for the 20 minutes (and I took my time going through). We hit the North Shore on Wed or Thursday I think.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love the photos. Looks like you had great weather while you were here.:greenie

Status
Not open for further replies.