The Weirdest Google Search

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
What are some of your weirdest, wildest, or most incriminating Google searches you've had from legitimate book research? Here's a few of my recent ones.

- Is camel meat kosher
- Yak milk tastes like?
- Natural poisons with no taste

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Oh, hm, thing is, when I search for things, they don't seem weird in my head . . . So I've probably searched weird things without thinking too much of it.

I had to google some medical stuff for one WIP, like:
re-attaching a severed thumb c. WWI
blood transfusions c/ WWI
can you catch yersenia pestis from a dead body?

I've also had to google mundane things that are out of my usual cultural purview, such as:
rules of cricket
Eton Pops
fly-fishing

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Oh, hm, thing is, when I search for things, they don't seem weird in my head . . . So I've probably searched weird things without thinking too much of it.

I had to google some medical stuff for one WIP, like:
re-attaching a severed thumb c. WWI
blood transfusions c/ WWI
can you catch yersenia pestis from a dead body?

I've also had to google mundane things that are out of my usual cultural purview, such as:
rules of cricket
Eton Pops
fly-fishing

I discovered that Sumer is a brand of ladder from India, so if I wanted to research what Sumerian ladders looked like I had to add in Akkad as well.

I’ve long since learned to add in Mesopotamia when researching Mesopotamian cities like Isin, easily confused with modern things like ISIN. But (whines) Mesopotamia is lonnnng to type ...

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
W
- Is camel meat kosher

It's halal, dunno about kosher.

I've eaten camel meat. In fact I've even made camel lasagne. (Used to live in Saudi and minced camel is cheaper than minced beef and tastes the same. Though if you buy it non-minced you have to cook it for much longer than beef... but it still tastes the same.)

For me it's not so much the google searches but the stuff I've included in my books that I didn't need to google, such as post-mortuary cannibalism in Neandertals and other early humans. (Don't worry, no graphic scenes, just hinted at for scientific realism...)