Is it worth it to keep pushing a "niche" project?

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
So, have had several rejections in the last few days. It's a project which seems mostly horror, and I've been querying under various other genres as far and wide as I can, despite my better judgment. Haven't had too many rejections, 20+, but honestly, a quick survey of the remaining agencies tells me submitting to most of them would be a waste of my time. They just don't seem compatible with my project, tonally, commercially, etc. There are agents that want "genre bending" novels, but honestly, I'm not even sure what they think that means.

Putting amount of rejections aside, when did you know it was time to shelve your first novel?

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on how out there it is, you could try Quirk Books. They like obscure and different stuff, but it has to be pretty out there for them to consider it. They published the Miss Peregrine series and books like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. So, really out there, high concept stuff.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on how out there it is, you could try Quirk Books. They like obscure and different stuff, but it has to be pretty out there for them to consider it. They published the Miss Peregrine series and books like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. So, really out there, high concept stuff.

Good suggestion, except I queried Quirk first about a year ago (never heard back). But yes, it's definitely something I'll keep in mind for future projects.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
There have been times when other things were just more fun, plain and simple. At those times I put my novel away.

I'm dragging myself back into it now b/c I'm determined to get it published by year's end, but it sounds like you are looking for a strong trade debut (I'm not.)

Still, I'd say if you have no joy from querying, leave it. Work on something else. Creation is the opposite of external rejection. You aren't a writer because you want rejection--you're a writer because you enjoy creating something.

So, no harm in shelving it for a while. And bonus--new agents come along all the time so you can dust it off in a year and toss out a few more queries.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
20 rejections isn't a lot in this field. I've read of authors getting 60+ before signing. If you feel passionately about your project don't give up.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Do you have the drive to keep pushing it or would you rather move to something more commercial that's easier to place? Many writers have books they write (and love) strictly for passion and often these are not the books that sell the most or get them deals. To get deals, commercial projects with bigger markets have the better shot. Agents want books they can sell easily to a pub and pubs want books that they fill will sell easy. Many good books are passed over because they are outside-the-box or "different". That doesn't mean you can't write (or push) it but it's about your goals. If your main goal now is to be published then try working with another project for a while that isn't so niche and see how that works. Later on you can concentrate on the niche book.

Twenty rejections isn't anything though. Some authors get 100 before they reevaluate their plans.

You can always self-publish too. It's a good option for books that don't easily fit in a box.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
It took me 45 queries to give up on first project, got an agent after 30 on the second, left that agent, found an agent after 100 queries for my current project. I agree with Patty. If YOU like the book, then keep trying. You are the first/most important advocate.

CalRazor

Registered
Reaction score
There have been times when other things were just more fun, plain and simple. At those times I put my novel away.

I'm dragging myself back into it now b/c I'm determined to get it published by year's end, but it sounds like you are looking for a strong trade debut (I'm not.)

Still, I'd say if you have no joy from querying, leave it. Work on something else. Creation is the opposite of external rejection. You aren't a writer because you want rejection--you're a writer because you enjoy creating something.

So, no harm in shelving it for a while. And bonus--new agents come along all the time so you can dust it off in a year and toss out a few more queries.

Yeah, this concentration of rejection might be telling me to set the novel down for a while. And who knows? Picking it up again after a hiatus could bring a fresh perspective.

Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Do you have the drive to keep pushing it or would you rather move to something more commercial that's easier to place? Many writers have books they write (and love) strictly for passion and often these are not the books that sell the most or get them deals. To get deals, commercial projects with bigger markets have the better shot. Agents want books they can sell easily to a pub and pubs want books that they fill will sell easy. Many good books are passed over because they are outside-the-box or "different". That doesn't mean you can't write (or push) it but it's about your goals. If your main goal now is to be published then try working with another project for a while that isn't so niche and see how that works. Later on you can concentrate on the niche book.

Twenty rejections isn't anything though. Some authors get 100 before they reevaluate their plans.

You can always self-publish too. It's a good option for books that don't easily fit in a box.

I've thought about ebooks, not only because of the niche aspect of the novel itself, but also because the MC is niche. It's something to consider as I'm pursuing another project I guess. You bring up a good point about having a coherent goal. What do I want? Not sure at this point. I do think he's a great character, one worth fighting for. Maybe the time just isn't right.