Need Ideas For Literary Festival

Teckmeister

Registered
Reaction score
Singapore is having a literary festival next year. It's called #BuySingLit. And there's an open call for programmes (right here: https://buysinglit.sg/buysinglit-2020-open-call/). Interested parties have to submit their proposals by 23rd of this month.

The #BuySingLit festival is looking for programmes that say Singapore literature is engaging, interesting and representative of our cultural identity. The festival also wants to promote the message that Singapore writers and publishers and booksellers have an important role in bringing our stories to all.

Programmes may include but not limited to author talks, workshops, performances, panel discussions, book clubs, pop-up stores, cosplay etc. All programmes must be held in Singapore during one or both of the #BuySingLit weekends.

Now, I face 2 problems. Firstly, I don't have anyone, not one single friend, to assist me so I can't do anything big. An author talk maybe, but nothing like a workshop.

And secondly, my book is a non-fiction memoir about my work as a security guard. Unlike a YA fantasy novel or a children's storybook, there isn't room in a non-fiction memoir for dress-up games or puppet shows.

So I am stumped for ideas about what I can do for a programme. Feel free to share your ideas with me.

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
A couple of programs (in addition to the examples you mentioned) that seem like staples at U.S. conferences and festivals:

Book Signings: Authors sign copies of their books, including signing books they can sell on-site as well as signing readers' previous purchases.

Free Book Tables: Authors donate a copy or two of their books by leaving them atop free give-away tables. Readers can leave a book on the table in exchange for any book they take, so the free table always has books on it.

Up Close and Personal: Authors meet small groups of readers for open discussions over coffee, drinks, etc.

Good Luck!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Drink coffee while a real security guard tells you fascinating real life stories of the weird world of security?
This is a great idea! Do you have a friend in Security who can tell a story well? Team it up with you reading a bit from your book, and perhaps a Q&A from the audience about security, how it's changed since you first started, where it's headed?

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you can partner with a local sponsor? I did some events in the past where we found sponsors to cover entire cost of the event incl. venue rental, VIP's airfare, hotel etc and bags of goodies for attendees