Hello from California

wordhasher

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Thomas, Been lurking for awhile and thought I'd finally 'fess up. The information exchange here is priceless, so thanks for that. Currently living on the coast in Monterey. (It seemed to work for Steinbeck and Robert Louis Stevenson, so....) Ex- US Marine, military journalist, freelancer, bouncer to rock stars, bartender to academics, professional student, traveler, raconteur, lately a product of the UC Berkeley Extension writing program. Been stomping terra for over half a century & lived to tell the tale, so I'm shopping a debut novel around to any takers (military fiction, 100K words, funny, tragic). Pretty good at blackjack. Okay at chess. Can't jump rope to save my ass, but I can dance all right & swing a mean golf club. I have a cat named Alice, and I play guitar & sing when no one is around. Or during writer's block. Which probably sucks for my neighbors sometimes.

Last edited:

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Hello from a fellow (recent) Californian! And welcome to non-lurkdom :)

LazyDaze

A Slow Grind
Registered
Reaction score
so I'm shopping a debut novel around to any takers (military fiction, 100K words, funny, tragic).

Hello, What is meant by this. You want someone to read your book? Anyhow, welcome. I'm still a bit of a lurker. I read military fiction sometimes. I liked Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes; Five years in the French Foreign Legion, Simon Murray;Cain at Gettysburg, Ralph Peterson; and the Black 33 and 34 by James Jonahue are fun too. Military can be good reads, hope you had fun writing it.

j

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Man alive, those are some credentials. if you've drawn from half of that experience in your novels, it's going to be pretty Bad-ass. Best of luck with shopping it around. Let us know when it's snapped up.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

wordhasher

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, What is meant by this. You want someone to read your book? Anyhow, welcome. I'm still a bit of a lurker. I read military fiction sometimes. I liked Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes; Five years in the French Foreign Legion, Simon Murray;Cain at Gettysburg, Ralph Peterson; and the Black 33 and 34 by James Jonahue are fun too. Military can be good reads, hope you had fun writing it.

j

It means I am trying to sell it, LazyDaze. ;-)