I know this is about a year old but perhaps you or someone else could find some use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by starrystorm View Post

1) Is enochlophobia the right term? I've heard other words that mean the same thing as well.
I have never heard that term before, but it comes up as what you describe when I look it up.

Agoraphobia is likely more common. That is essentially a fear of not being able to escape. People with this condition are often afraid to go in closed spaces as they fear they will not be able to get help if they have a heart attack, for example. They can often be afraid of elevators, subways, trains, cars, and in the worst cases they will end up not leaving their home. This differs from social anxiety in that there do not need to be people around for the fear to ensue. If they are alone in an elevator they can have a panic attack. Women are more likely to have this as they are biologically more likely to have high levels of neuroticism - or proneness to stress.

Enochlophobia sounds more like a fear of a large group of people, maybe not related to the interaction with that group or the fact that you can't escape the horde. Not 100% of this though.

2) What are some (inaccurate) phobia cliches I should avoid.
There are different degrees of fear that is induced by the degree of the phobia, much like many other conditions. Like there are different levels of depression, phobias are no different. They do not always have to be extreme and bombastic like they are often portrayed in Hollywood. Much like Tourette syndrome is rarely when someone often blurts profanities.

Often times a phobia is brought on by a traumatic childhood experience. I used to be afraid of dogs because I had been chased around the neighborhood by two dogs in my childhood. These experiences that bring on phobias do not have to have happened in a childhood though. A person at any age can develop one. In fact, agoraphobia often manifests itself in women in their 30's.

3) How long does it take to recover. I know in the movie The Truman Show, Truman was facing his fear at the end and looked okay with it. Is it that realistic? I do plan on her trying exposure therapy a few months before the story begins, and at the end, she faces her fear to save the MC.
There really is no set time period for recovery. Of course it depends on the severity but it is up to the will of the victim to decide. By that I mean they have to choose to go through exposure therapy. In this practice you go through graduated exposure in which the fearful person is exposed to a safe version of the stimulus for as long as they can. Once they are bored of that you move closer until you eventually reach the point of not being scared.
To use the elevator example you want to start as far ahead as they can handle. If they can only see pictures of the elevator then start there. You show them pictures until they are bored. Then you go see one in real life, just looking at it. Move closer as they can handle. Then push the button and just look inside. Then get inside. etc etc. I would say a few months is realistic, and it HAS to be with the consent of the phobic person. If you trick them and throw them into the fire so to speak it can traumatize them even more.

As for Truman, it's a little tricky. Since he choose to venture into the ocean voluntarily it was up to him to brave his fear. Though people are generally not that brave it could happen.

4) The character is in a collapsing tunnel. A mob is trying to escape. She is at the back of the tunnel, the farthest from the exit. Since she is afraid of crowds, would she stay behind (or slow down) or would she try to save herself? Basically, would phobias slow down a need for survival? Sorry, if this was a stupid question.
Most likely the adrenaline and survival instinct would take over and they would get through, albeit stressfully. Sometimes this is done in a cheesy way in movies but the will to survive is one of the most powerful forces a human being possesses. I would realistically expect her to put her head down and just charge forward, all the while telling herself "there is no crowd" or "if I don't go I will die"; something to that extent.
If it is for her life yes, but people will often go through pain just to not feel their fear. I heard a story of a man who had dental surgery with no anesthesia due to his fear of needles.

5) If she had some kind of pill or mark that could almost erase the fear, would this be cheating? (She refuses to wear/eat the medicine because it makes her feel like an outcast/in pain).
I have honestly never heard of a pill that reduces a phobia. There are plenty of drugs that reduce anxiety and there are medications for panic attacks, if she was to take one of those it wouldn't be unrealistic. But a specific pill to remove a specific fear does not exist, therefore I would call that "cheating".

By the way, I like your profile picture!