Hello there!

lgallo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

My name is Lia, I hail from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm new to AW and the writing community, in general, but not writing itself. I've indulged in it as a hobby for years, throughout college and into marriage/parenthood, but would love to quit my day job (nursing) and pursue it as a full-time calling.

I write fantasy with a mythical/romance bent. I love reading the same, but pick up all kinds of fiction, poetry, and women's nonfiction. I also have a soft spot for comical autobiographies.

I'm excited to start beta reading - I love to see other people's imaginations at work.

When I'm not inside with a book or my pen/paper/laptop, I'm outside in my garden. I love to grow all sorts of things, but my favorite veg is definitely sweet peppers, my favorite annuals are zinnias and cosmos, and my fave perennial is gladiolus (I have a dark, wine-red variety that makes me squeal!)

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lia! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat.

Thank you for your service as a nurse. This is not to make you feel guilty for wanting to quit and do writing full-time, but just because I have mad respect for all that you do. What type of nursing?

You'll be in good company here. We have lots of fantasy writers, and a whole subforum for sci-fi/fantasy. What's your latest WIP about?

Here's where we keep the beta requests—you'll need 50 substantive posts before you're allowed to request your own betas, but you can indicate your availability and respond to requests that interest you as soon as you want to.

Your garden sounds lovely. My thumbs are the opposite of green, but I moved to a neighborhood with lots of gardens so I could cheat and enjoy other peoples' flowers. :e2flowers

This is a great site. Looking forward to seeing you around the boards!

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Lia. Glad you could join us.
Are there any comical autobiographies that you would recommend? I really enjoyed Gerrald Durrell and would love to read some more.
Hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

jokertk

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Igallo. This is a great site;glad you found it. It would be great to be able to quit the full-time work and put that energy into writing instead. Take care

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

lgallo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kat!

I mainly practice in perioperative - pre-surgery, post-anesthesia, post-recovery/discharge. I went part-time a few years ago, but, as my grandma (a nurse of 50+ years) said, "You never stop being a nurse."

I'm excited to explore, thanks for the handy links. Latest WIP in a nutshell (teeny, tiny, minuscule nutshell) is an adult fantasy novel about a woman's transformation from royal family black sheep to unpopular queen to savior of the kingdom.

Also, love the banjo cat!

lgallo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I really enjoyed Jenny Lawson's two books - hers are more 'interior', she talks about her struggles with mental illness. Their titles are 'Let's Pretend This Never Happened' and 'Furiously Happy'.

Last edited:

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kat!

I mainly practice in perioperative - pre-surgery, post-anesthesia, post-recovery/discharge. I went part-time a few years ago, but, as my grandma (a nurse of 50+ years) said, "You never stop being a nurse."

I'm excited to explore, thanks for the handy links. Latest WIP in a nutshell (teeny, tiny, minuscule nutshell) is an adult fantasy novel about a woman's transformation from royal family black sheep to unpopular queen to savior of the kingdom.

Also, love the banjo cat!

Thank you. I was so pleased when I found her!

WIP sounds quite interesting.

I believe your grandma. I rarely call the nurse hotline because my mother was a nurse before I was born and she will ask me all the pertinent questions in chart order and demand that I start certain remedial efforts!

Good luck with all your endeavors. See you around! :)

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, Lia! Your WIP sounds delightful.
I was surprised by how lovely I found Pittsburgh when I visited for the first time not long ago. I could easily see the view over the city in its river-island valley inspiring flights of fantasy.

tommyrulez_99

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. That would be a good concept, nurse transplanted to a plant kingdom and finds love. ;3