What promo efforts do NOT sell novels

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
TL;DR version: go write more books.

One great thing for all writers about self-publishing is that those s-p authors who have been knocking it out of the park are business savvy, and they've tracked various promotional efforts, kept records, compared results with other top writers, and know what for sure doesn't work to increase book sales. They're also not guarding the information jealously in most cases. As it ends up, some of what trade publishing has been doing for decades is nigh-on worthless in the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century. Wait, a few of you are saying. Why would some handful of self-published writers you may never have heard of know more than Big Editor at Big house? Simple. Having real-time reporting of sales lets the self-publishing pros see the real-time effects of various promo efforts. They test promotional efforts in isolation, sometimes a group of them run an experiment together, and they record the results. And what they have concluded is useful for all authors to know.

Remember as a writer, you are not at all a typical reader ("but reviews matter to me!" means nothing to Jo Author's bank balance unless you're willing to buy 100 copies of her new book every day out of your love of reviews), and normal non-writing novel readers are who pays a full-time novelist's bills. Also, remember, just because R.J Famousauthor who is making a half a million dollars per year does some of the useless stuff doesn't mean it caused the millions. Maybe his agent or publisher told him to do it, operating from inaccurate assumptions about efficacy of promotions. Maybe the author simply likes doing it.

The financial goal for most writers I know is to achieve the level of writing income where they're netting 125%+ of what they did in their day job, and that's who I'm talking to here, novelists who want that too. That means selling thousands of books per year, year in and year out, without having to put endless effort (beyond writing new books) into making that happen.

So here's what those clever self-published authors have tracked/concluded:

I) What definitely doesn't sell novels

A. Blogs and blog tours. Particularly don't blog about writing craft and writing business issues. If you're not on the best seller lists regularly, few people care what you have to say about those matters. And even if they did care, and you explained said bookisms better than anyone in history ever has, and through some clever SEO optimization, you actually get strangers to find that post via Google, it still won't result in novel sales for you. If you don't have a fan base yet, there's no reason at all to blog.

B. Social media daily/weekly activity. I know agents/publishers demand you are active on it, but you won't get more than a handful of sales this way. And though it's not "fair," you'd better be young, thin, beautiful, witty and charming to achieve even twenty sales per year via social media—and then you'll get creepy personal messages much more often than you'll get book sales.

C. Book promotional videos. A total waste of time, money, and effort.

D. Articles published in major newspapers about the author. When this happens, authors who can track the results see a blip of about 2-10 extra sales, but at a royalty of $2 per ebook or hardcover, that's much closer to zero income than to a livable wage. Even a mention on a major network TV show only results in 100 or so sales. (someone here had that happen and confirmed this result earlier this year.) Local TV news? It's no better than a big daily newspaper. Publicity as practiced in the 1960s is not worth the time spent on it. Thank a newspaper for wanting to interview you, decline with regrets, and get back to work.

E. Reviews. While an average rating of 1.5 out of 5 stars will likely hurt your sales, most readers do not care about reviews. Most don't read them. Some only read them after they've bought and read the book. So quit obsessing about reviews. Reviews are the result of sales, not the cause of them. Quit manipulating or outright scamming to get reviews—you are risking your reputation (and more) in doing that, for a result that doesn't work to sell books anyway. Let them happen as they will, in their own time, and forget about them, because they are not intended for you.

F. Book tours/signings/conventions. If you like schmoozing with your fans, if you're great at it and can handle awkward people with aplomb, do it occasionally as a treat to yourself, and have fun. But you won't win new fans this way. Veritably no one goes to a book signing of an author they never heard of. You'll probably lose days, if not weeks, of writing time in this effort, and for what? Five sales at each venue? Phht.

G. Paid-for "professional" book reviews like Publisher's Weekly. Repeat after me: Readers. Do. Not. Care. So you shouldn't either.

H. Book giveaways.

I. Do-dads like mugs, T-shirts, bookmarks, and other such items.

J. Great writing. Oh dear, I know this is hard to hear for some of you, and it certainly was hard for me to learn, but you only need to be competent at the line level and slightly better than average at story-telling to be a full-time novelist. There are tens of thousands of beautifully-written novels that never sold a copy. Readers are not agents or critique circles or writers who read the articles that you have read about the craft. They're readers, and they like what they like, and an absence of adverbs and "filtering" phrases doesn't even register with them. If you're trying to promote your prose to an agent, you may need to worry about that sort of thing to get over that hurdle. But to appeal to readers (and if you are either trade or self-published, you will eventually need to do that), you need only be a great story-teller who can twang the heartstrings of readers, writing in simple and clear prose.

J. Family and friends and co-forum members buying your book. This won't support a career and its effect will only last for a few days. So quit bugging your friends and family to buy your book. That's not their jobs, and it won't help you be a pro. It's rude of you to insist or to get huffy over their not doing so. Be a better friend/sister than that.

II) What might work to sell your book. This isn't from the pros collecting the above information. It's from me—what I've seen over many decades of watching and asking and listening and tracking sales.

A. A great description of your book, particularly one with a clever high concept, clearly stated, that makes thousands of strangers say, "I have to read that!"

B. A great cover.

C. Certain kinds of advertising. The two I'm sure can work, that I have seen work for many people at the level of sales I'm talking about (not 25 sales once in a while, but thousands of books in a month), are Bookbub featured deal ads on a first-in-series book lowered temporarily to a $.99 price, and Facebook pay-per-click ads (though unless you are very lucky at first in your design and tag line on that ad, you'll have to keep trying various designs to find one that works, and it costs money to run multiple tests). But when you do the accounting on if an ad worked for you or not, think about the time you spent fiddling with the ads, learning what works, paying for art or worse learning how to do the art yourself, and interfacing with the system—and, if over a year you lost a whole novel's worth of writing time while learning/placing several ads, you have to ask, was it worth it? Or would having one more novel earn you more money than the ads? Also, if you're spending $50,000/year on ads at Facebook to gross $100,000/year (I know a lot of people who do exactly this), maybe don't run ads next year and see if you net that same $50,000. If you can keep your net the same without the ads, why line Zuck's pockets on the way there?

D. Having an always-free ebook that begins a long romance series. It has worked for some people in the past, gaining them fans, but it's no guarantee. It seldom works in other genres (I can count the number of times it has on my fingers). Usually, people who want free stuff want only free stuff. Most won't switch to buying—after they have your freebie, they'll just go look elsewhere for free stuff from someone else.

E. Writing more books. My favorite advice to give is "don't bother with (X promotional effort). Just write more books." This is also not a guarantee, but doing so maximizes your chances of writing The Book that breaks you out, that gets you the first agent or better agent if that's your goal, that appeals to readers and makes them buy your whole back catalog, or that pays your bills for five years or more after its publication date. Just because this latest book of yours (that you're beating like the proverbial dead horse with every form of promotion known) isn't taking off in a gallop of sales doesn't mean the next book also won't take off. The next one might in fact take off on its own. So write the next book. And write the one after that. And so on until you achieve your income goals.

F. Making sure your loyal fans know about that new book. A mailing list is one way that works today (though this will probably change at some point in the future.) So if you have more than 25 fans, maintain a mailing list. (Not your publisher's. Not Bookbub or Amazon's. One you personally control.) Don't use it to chit-chat about your cat's chronic fur ball problem, about how hard writing is, or to brag on the kiddies' accomplishments at middle school. Use it as a precise sales tool, to announce new book releases.

III) What definitely will work

A) Word of mouth. Readers (thousands of them, not coached, just deciding to on their own) telling other readers, family members, and friends about your book.

It's golden. You cannot control it or force it. It happens if you're lucky, and you're thrilled when it does. Because you can't do anything to force the process, get back to writing that next book instead.

B) Having high schools in the US decide your book is required reading for the next couple of decades. Oh, may that happen to you! But you can't control this either.

C) Hollywood options your book, makes an expensive movie of it with big stars, and the movie is a hit. Once again, not in your control. If it happens, congrats! The sales effect is shockingly brief, so keep writing the next book.

Conclusion: the three things that absolutely work, 100% guaranteed, you have no control over. If you are trade published, the only thing of the Part II "might" list that you can control is to write more books. If you are self-published, get your cover, description, and pricing in order, and make sure you are writing in a popular sub-genre, and if you can get a Bookbub, get one, and if you have released two complete series, give FB ads a go, but spend most of your time and mental energy in writing the next book because, once again, you can actually control if your next book gets written.

Guard your time like it's the precious commodity it in fact is. Spend most of it writing books, 1% of it on promotional efforts that might work, and none of it on the promotional efforts that do not work.

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this, seems like quite helpful advice!

However, this part I don't quite follow:

D. Articles published in major newspapers about the author. When this happens, authors who can track the results see a blip of about 2-10 extra sales, but at a royalty of $2 per ebook or hardcover, that's much closer to zero income than to a livable wage. Even a mention on a major network TV show only results in 100 or so sales. (someone here had that happen and confirmed this result earlier this year.) Local TV news? It's no better than a big daily newspaper. Publicity as practiced in the 1960s is not worth the time spent on it. Thank a newspaper for wanting to interview you, decline with regrets, and get back to work.

E. Reviews. While an average rating of 1.5 out of 5 stars will likely hurt your sales, most readers do not care about reviews. Most don't read them. Some only read them after they've bought and read the book. So quit obsessing about reviews. Reviews are the result of sales, not the cause of them. Quit manipulating or outright scamming to get reviews—you are risking your reputation (and more) in doing that, for a result that doesn't work to sell books anyway. Let them happen as they will, in their own time, and forget about them, because they are not intended for you.

I'd agree that whether a reviewer gives your book 2 stars or 3 stars may not influence prospective buyers, but unknown authors certainly need all the press they can get. If nobody has ever heard of me, I'd be inclined try my best to come up with a clever press release and circulate as many review copies as possible.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I) What definitely doesn't sell novels

B. Social media daily/weekly activity. I know agents/publishers demand you are active on it, but you won't get more than a handful of sales this way. And though it's not "fair," you'd better be young, thin, beautiful, witty and charming to achieve even twenty sales per year via social media—and then you'll get creepy personal messages much more often than you'll get book sales.

So...this is the one I disagree with, because although it doesn't work for everyone, I think Twitter is a big help for me, and I known I'm not the only one.

I write rom-coms with Chinese-Canadian characters, and I've been publishing since May 2018. I had previously been published with a number of small presses under a different name, with terrible sales numbers. Sometime in April 2018 (I think), I wrote a thread about publishing as a WOC. A much bigger romance author saw my thread on Twitter, looked at my profile presumably, and quote tweeted my pinned tweet about my upcoming book.

I got 120 pre-orders in 24 hours. I was basically unknown and had a new pen name.

Now, I had a very hook-y title and a good cover, but people had to hear about me...and that happened on Twitter.

Now, I'm aware that me hanging out on Twitter is mostly me making connections with other authors, not readers who don't write at all, but I have readers who follow me too, and being connected to writers who write similar things to me is important and does help with sales.

I can track other spikes in sales to other authors recommending my books on Twitter, to when I announce my books are up for pre-order, and to when I announce a sale on social media. People who run blogs sometimes see these, and when, say, Smart Bitches Trashy Books posts about sales on my books, I can clearly see it in my numbers.

I have <2000 Twitter followers and I'm really not that big of a deal on Twitter...and I'm not making near as much as I did at my day job. But I've only been indie for a bit over a year and I have a fanbase. There are limits to what Twitter can do for me, but I'm pretty happy with where it's gotten me so far.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
So...this is the one I disagree with, because although it doesn't work for everyone, I think Twitter is a big help for me, and I known I'm not the only one.
I've only been indie for a bit over a year and I have a fanbase. There are limits to what Twitter can do for me, but I'm pretty happy with where it's gotten me so far.

It could be that a niche genre makes Social more useful. It's hard to find your audience, for sure, and any way you can do it that works, stick with it if it isn't eating up your writing hours. I see you write a lot of books, which is going to help you maximize your income. Does Amazon not even have an Asian Romance sub-cat? Man, that sucks, both for you and for readers trying to find you through searching at Zon.

To add my single anecdote to your single anecdote, I was earning FT income before I tried social media and had my best ebook sales month after I quit it. My avatar shows a nice (but hardly my best) week of Amazon sales from after I quit. But to tell the full tale, one would have to look beyond a handful of anecdotes at a wider study: how many authors aren't selling anything who are on social media, and how many of the top 100 authors do or don't have a social media presence? I've done the research in my genre, and it's not at all necessary. The top person in my subgenre earns millions every year and doesn't hang out on social media. Some of the top 20 are dead, which makes it hard to Tweet. ;)

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
It's your time, PostHuman--do with it whatever you'd like! But in the days of self-publishing, literally thousands of people are contacting newspapers, magazines, libraries, and associations begging for attention. You'd need to be clever indeed to be heard through that noise (probably most of it is just tossed, unread.) But even if you did win through to the LA Times having a page 2 entertainment section article on authors like you, including a photo of your book cover, you'd sell 10 books. That's not a living. If you spent 50 hours trying to make it happen, writing, revising, getting feedback, finding contact names, sending press releases, and you get back $2 for each of the 10 books you sell as a result, then you've paid yourself less than a dollar per hour. It makes more sense to me to put up a lemonade stand.

Honestly, I'm not your enemy. I'd love for every hard-working author to experience success the way I have, and I don't resent the top people in my genre who make a million dollars every year or a high six figures. I applaud them! To you, I say this with the kindest intention: Write more books. If you don't have at least six out--including a completed series--in a popular genre, there's no reason to spend one second thinking about promotion. Even if you do, write more books. The next one might take off on its own.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I just think it is misleading to list social media as something that "definitely doesn't sell books," when for some people, it definitely does...

I think there are many different things that can work, and certain things will not work for all people. I would not discount social media as something that cannot work, though it is obviously not necessary, as evidenced by the many writers that do without it. I honestly do not believe I would have a career with this second pen name without Twitter, and I have heard other romance authors say the same thing.

And yes, writing Asian-Canadian romance may be part of it. Because, yeah, to some people that is a niche genre, just because I write characters who aren't white. They're still rom-coms, though. The idea of Amazon having an Asian romance category, quite honestly, made me laugh, though perhaps it shouldn't have. My books are currently listed both as romantic comedy and multicultural & interracial romance.

(This does create issues for ads, though. On FB for example...who on earth should I target? I know some authors do great with FB ads, but in the little I've played around with them, I've just wasted money. Will have to try again at some point...)

It could be that a niche genre makes Social more useful. It's hard to find your audience, for sure, and any way you can do it that works, stick with it if it isn't eating up your writing hours. I see you write a lot of books, which is going to help you maximize your income. Does Amazon not even have an Asian Romance sub-cat? Man, that sucks, both for you and for readers trying to find you through searching at Zon.

To add my single anecdote to your single anecdote, I was earning FT income before I tried social media and had my best ebook sales month after I quit it. My avatar shows a nice (but hardly my best) week of Amazon sales from after I quit. But to tell the full tale, one would have to look beyond a handful of anecdotes at a wider study: how many authors aren't selling anything who are on social media, and how many of the top 100 authors do or don't have a social media presence? I've done the research in my genre, and it's not at all necessary. The top person in my subgenre earns millions every year and doesn't hang out on social media. Some of the top 20 are dead, which makes it hard to Tweet. ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I think social media doesn't sell books, except when it does. LJD, you were lucky enough to be noticed by someone who had a lot of readers/book buyers as followers, and you had a damn good book to back up that notice. That can happen, but it is unusual.

Of course, since Twitter is relatively low-friction, why not work with it? Ditto Facebook. There's no real reason not to use them, because you never know.

But they all come down to the same thing: people have to hear about you. Even trade publishers have trouble with that one sometimes.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, the exact situation that happened with Grumpy Fake Boyfriend was unusual, yeah, and I've never had anything quite like that since. But it happened because I was there and I was prepared, and I continue to be able to correlate spikes in sales with certain tweets. I do a cover reveal on Twitter when I put a book up for pre-order, I see a jump. I see it again when I send out a newsletter. I suspect at least half of my readers found out about me either directly from Twitter, or from someone who heard about me on Twitter.

And Twitter is free, whereas Facebook ads will likely take me a lot of money for figure out how to get them to work for me.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I mean, the exact situation that happened with Grumpy Fake Boyfriend was unusual, yeah, and I've never had anything quite like that since. But it happened because I was there and I was prepared, and I continue to be able to correlate spikes in sales with certain tweets. I do a cover reveal on Twitter when I put a book up for pre-order, I see a jump. I see it again when I send out a newsletter. I suspect at least half of my readers found out about me either directly from Twitter, or from someone who heard about me on Twitter.

And Twitter is free, whereas Facebook ads will likely take me a lot of money for figure out how to get them to work for me.

FWIW (and given I'm only one person, it's probably not worth much :)), I did an A/B test with Facebook ads for a couple of Goodreads giveaways. The difference in signups was statistically insignificant. I don't spend on Facebook anymore.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I’m not 100 percent convinced that an NYT review or an NPR interview would only sell 10 copies. This is where a lot of readers, especially literary readers like me, learn about new books. Having never attained either, though, I can’t say. Local news and radio, while fun and not that time consuming, didn’t do much for me sales-wise that I can tell. My launch was mainly a chance for friends and family to buy the book (they did). I managed to get my book on EW; that caused a jump, but a small one.

I agree with prioritizing the writing. For me, that means prioritizing good writing, or some balance of good and commercial writing, but that’s me. I have a day job so I can write what I want to write. If my main income came from writing, I’d shift accordingly.

Just want to say, though, that in the trade publishing space, trade reviews (PW, etc) are vital. They’re not for consumers, who indeed rarely read them. They’re for librarians and booksellers, who are a strong conduit to consumers and word of mouth. Certain types of books still get a huge boost from bookseller enthusiasm and handselling. Trade conventions play into this, too, because that’s where writers meet booksellers and librarians.

If you’re self-published, then no, don’t pay for those reviews (trade publishers don’t). I can’t tell you how often someone contacts me at my job asking me for newspaper coverage based on their glowing Kirkus Indie review. I treat those reviews with a high degree of skepticism because I know they’re paid, even if the reviewer retains editorial independence.

Knowing the market for your genre/category is key. Personally, I’m not convinced that trade publishers don’t know what they’re doing in terms of promotion. (They’ve phased out book tours and blog tours, for instance.) I think they’re experimenting with what works. (In YA, for instance, I’ve seen a lot of emphasis lately on big cover reveals and coverage from popular Booktubers. And the books that get this kind of attention, solicited by the publisher, tend to do well.) But if you are trade published, you don’t get to decide whether you’re the lead title that gets that kind of promotional attention. Realizing you’re not can be a real lesson in humility.

So I agree that it’s best for your career and mental health not to try to control aspects of the process that are inherently out of your control. It’s a lesson that many writers have learned the hard way.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Personally, I’m not convinced that trade publishers don’t know what they’re doing in terms of promotion.

In terms of methods? I'm sure they know what they're doing. Focus and content, though, can vary widely from book to book, and sometimes they do get it spectacularly wrong.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
In terms of methods? I'm sure they know what they're doing. Focus and content, though, can vary widely from book to book, and sometimes they do get it spectacularly wrong.

Oh, I agree. I just don’t believe all their methods are inherently outmoded. They’re trying to adapt to a changing landscape, with various levels of success.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Oh, I agree. I just don’t believe all their methods are inherently outmoded. They’re trying to adapt to a changing landscape, with various levels of success.

Agreed. I don't think their methods are outmoded at all. What a lot of folks don't understand (including me, in the beginning!) is that they don't primarily market to readers; they market to bookstores and distributors (including, I believe, Amazon).

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I just think it is misleading to list social media as something that "definitely doesn't sell books," when for some people, it definitely does...

I think there are many different things that can work, and certain things will not work for all people. I would not discount social media as something that cannot work, though it is obviously not necessary, as evidenced by the many writers that do without it. I honestly do not believe I would have a career with this second pen name without Twitter, and I have heard other romance authors say the same thing.

And yes, writing Asian-Canadian romance may be part of it. Because, yeah, to some people that is a niche genre, just because I write characters who aren't white. They're still rom-coms, though. The idea of Amazon having an Asian romance category, quite honestly, made me laugh, though perhaps it shouldn't have. My books are currently listed both as romantic comedy and multicultural & interracial romance.

(This does create issues for ads, though. On FB for example...who on earth should I target? I know some authors do great with FB ads, but in the little I've played around with them, I've just wasted money. Will have to try again at some point...)

I agree, LJD. Social media works for a lot of people. From what I've seen many who claim it doesn't work do not use it correctly. Most people only think of social media as spamming their books all over the place or begging people to read their work. Yeah, if all you do on social networks is spam and never interact or form relationships with industry folks it's not going to work. Social media puts you in touch with readers universally that you wouldn't reach otherwise but you can't just do it to sell books. One of the biggest ways social media has helped me is I've been able to score networking opportunities and cross promotion with authors who write what I do. No way would I have been able to connect with even a fourth of the people I've come in contact with in the industry without social media. It's a blessing to people like me. I'm an introvert and I have social anxiety disorder. I can't stand being around people and if I had to rely on physically promoting my books outside of the home I'd be in horrible trouble. Social media has come a long way. I admit, I wouldn't even be on any of the platforms if I wasn't an author but it's been a blessing for someone like me because I can promote, market and network without leaving my house.

What has been the most effective way to sell for me lately are ads and having a presence on Bookbub. It's getting now to where you gotta use Amazon ads, FB ads or Bookbub ads if you want a chance at visibility. Amazon is ridiculous now. Everyone and their momma running ads on there now because without ads, it's getting impossible on Amazon because they have done away with Also Boughts on many pages so organic reach is nonexistent. At least I am wide though and not fighting for visibility like KU authors. I have other avenues where I sell my books and not dependent on fighting for eyes at one store.

A mailing list is a must too because those are your most loyal fans who will always buy your books.

But yeah for me lately ads, Bookbub Featured Deals (when I can get them), permafrees (making book 1 of my series free) have been most effective. Other things I used to do don't work anymore or are no longer worth the effort. For example, I have a PA (personal assistant) who promotes my books for me too. I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of her because what she is doing isn't effective anymore. It's not her fault and she does a great job, it's just that her promotion isn't as effective as other things I do. It's weird because a PA used to be all I needed. I used to have 3-4 PAs at one time promoting my work. But times have changed and like everything else with self-publishing, you gotta adapt to survive.

Last edited: