Hello everyone

Murky

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Kim and I am from Oslo, Norway.
I work as a system analyst and try my best to find errors in program code and break it in order to make the program more solid.
I am also an AFOL – an Adult Fan of Lego, I play in tabletop roleplaying games (primarily as a gamemaster) and do LARPS, and as luck would have it, I am also a (aspiring) writer and storyteller.

I have been a storyteller all my life, and still constantly make up stories and scenes in my mind. I have written some of them down over the years, but never really looked at my writing as a business until the recent years.

To sit by my lonesome with my manuscripts is not enough anymore and I decided it was time to not only lurk around AW, but actually participate.

I would love to be allowed to beta read for you, and while I am a newbie in that field, I hope my thoughts will be of some value.

I primarily like to write fantasy, sci-fi and science fiction, both novels and screenplays.

I read mostly everything (but erotica), but my favorite genre is fantasy.

Thank you for having me. I will try not to break anything.

Kim

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Murky. I picked these for you :e2flowers

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Kim! you must have a ton of ideas to draw from as a gamemaster and LARPer, plus you live in a country that oozes history and fantasy-esk charm. What a great advantage as a fantasy writer... glad to have you with us.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kim! Welcome! :hi: I'm Kat. It's OK, I've already broken most of the things, so you just settle on in.

My knowledge of Norway is limited to Edvard Grieg, the hardangfele, and the sound of your National Anthem out my dorm room window early on the morning of Syttendai Mai (my alma mater was founded by Norwegian immigrants). It sounds like a lovely place to live. What do you like best about it?

What's your latest WIP about? :)

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Murky

Registered
Reaction score
Fully aware I my reply will only help solidify the cliché - Our nature and fjords... I can take the bus or even the subway for fifteen minutes and be out in the forest and have miles in front me with untouched nature. On the same time, I can stay in downtown Oslo, and have all the same options as a major metropolis. (Oslo is a small, small town / village and a huge city at the same time - and strangely that somehow works)

My latest WIP is a fantasy novel (120k) which is currently in (self) editing, and I am some 5k words into part two.
Next step is to find beta readers and learn that process and build up the courage to start my search for an agent.

My tag so far is;
Two best friends travel to an alternate world, a world with no magic, pursuing a prisoner who possesses something impossible... magic!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Fully aware I my reply will only help solidify the cliché - Our nature and fjords... I can take the bus or even the subway for fifteen minutes and be out in the forest and have miles in front me with untouched nature. On the same time, I can stay in downtown Oslo, and have all the same options as a major metropolis. (Oslo is a small, small town / village and a huge city at the same time - and strangely that somehow works)

Cliché or no cliché, that sounds AMAZING. It's similar to what I like best about my hometown, only it's more like 45 minutes and a car because America. :p

Enjoy your time on the boards!

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
While I can't take your subways directly, every now and again I will fire up Youtube and watch one of those train ride from Oslo to Bergen, or a ride through the Alps(Part of it anyway--they can run for 7 hours.) Ten minutes and I'm fired up to get back into world building.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Kim (Murky). Glad to have you join us.

I am working with someone from Norway on the Norwegian translations for some short scripts in my fantasy novel. I used google translator for the initial translations but know you can't fully rely on it.

Re: legos - we still buy a new Lego Star Wars set for one of our sons, even though he is an adult and married. :tongue

Good luck with your writing. There's a lot of great information on this site.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome: