Website Header with Wordpress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
What's usually the best size to go with?

Also, will they work with a professional setup or does the site have to set up as a blog?

Voodoo Chicken

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

Fun fact: I lived in Indianapolis for about three years before I moved out west.

Your question seems a bit vague, so I might be misunderstanding here. The size of your header depends on what theme you are using, if you are using an image for your header and if you are hosted on a shared platform like wordpress.com

Most wordpress themes are responsive. That means things like your header will automatically adjust to any screen size including mobile devices. In this case, the display size is largely irrelevant.

A header image that fits the default wordpress theme is 192x740 pixels but this will vary from theme to theme. You can download the default image header that came with your theme to check it's display size before replacing it with an image of the same height and width.

Responsive design eliminates a lot of worries about how much real estate your header takes up on the screen, but if you are using an image be sure to keep the actual file size down to less than 100Kb if possible.

This can quickly devolve into a technical discussion though, as there are many ways to customize and style your header if you are familiar with CSS sheets, etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. Thanks. :)

The template you are using will generally tell you what size header to use.

If it doesn't give you a measurement, then see what size the sample image / placeholder image the template comes with is using, and use those dimensions.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most themes have a header background and text overlays for the title, tag line, etc. plus a space for a logo. I often use a colored background and then the logo and text will contrast with it. When I use a photo background, I usually size it as 100 pixels high by 1200 pixels wide but make sure that, if compressed, nothing gets cut off or ridiculously compressed. Kind of an art form. :)

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.