Obituary of a Book

Teckmeister

Registered
Reaction score
I have heavy news to announce.

Last year, my book Guards Gone Wild! was accepted by 2 chain bookstores in Singapore. Namely, Times and Kinokuniya.

When I made that announcement, it was the proudest moment of my life as a writer.

Well, yesterday, my distributor informed me that my book was removed from all Times outlets in Singapore.

The reason was due to low sales. They had to make way for new titles.

Now, my book is only available at Kinokuniya outlets. Of course, it could also get removed from their shelves if sales are bad.

Maybe I have come to the end of my journey as a writer.

Loh Teck Yong

https://guardsgonewild.wordpress.com/2019/07/29/obituary-of-a-book/

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have heavy news to announce.

Last year, my book Guards Gone Wild! was accepted by 2 chain bookstores in Singapore. Namely, Times and Kinokuniya.

When I made that announcement, it was the proudest moment of my life as a writer.

Well, yesterday, my distributor informed me that my book was removed from all Times outlets in Singapore.

The reason was due to low sales. They had to make way for new titles.

Now, my book is only available at Kinokuniya outlets. Of course, it could also get removed from their shelves if sales are bad.

Maybe I have come to the end of my journey as a writer.

Loh Teck Yong

https://guardsgonewild.wordpress.com/2019/07/29/obituary-of-a-book/

If your books have been available for a year, you've done really well - and those are good bookstores. You'll need to get on and write the next one now. :)

( I know it stings, though.)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Don't lose hope. You've made it this far, you will make it that far again. Keep the faith and press on!!!!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Publishing is a heartless business, but I think a year at two big retail outlets is pretty awesome. I can't take away the pain you're feeling - and I do know it hurts, so :Hug2: - but I can be proud of you from afar. If you can, keep writing - it's a non-linear career, but it only stops when you do.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Take a deep breath, take a walk in the woods, pet a dog...do whatever calms you, and then get back to work.

What you're describing happens to every writer in the world, except those tiny percent of superstars whose books are always available on bookstore shelves. For the vast majority of writers, a couple of months in stores is all they can hope for and more than most get. After that, there is visibility on Amazon and other online stores and renewed life as an ebook. If your game plan as a writer is to be lauded as a world-class writer out of the box, and to sell like one, and to have a permanent place on bookstore shelves, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The chains' decision says nothing about the value of your work; it's a strictly commercial decision. There is, obviously, limited space on the shelves, and they're always going to favor the hot new book (whose publisher may be paying for good placement) over one that's been out a year.

You did well to get those deals. Now on to the next!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If your books have been available for a year, you've done really well - and those are good bookstores. You'll need to get on and write the next one now. :)

( I know it stings, though.)

This. Yes, it's painful and disappointing, but don't let that mitigate your pride and success.

You've done really well, and the best thing to do is get on with a new book.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
That's sad and sorry that happened but if you love writing then you shouldn't let that stop you. I was writing before I got a trade contract years ago and now I self-publish and will be writing even if no one ever bought one book from me again. If no one but me reads my work for the rest of my life I'm content with that. I write for me first of all. Readers are a bonus.
Being dropped from a publisher is no reason to stop writing if you still have the passion. You can also do other things to get your work out there but for me, my desire for writing is just too strong. If I ever stopped it will be because I physically can't do it and then there is still dictation.

Keep your head up and keep going. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
No matter the sales, huge congrats on getting published!

Have you tried helping a little to get the word out, for example sending review copies to bloggers and local journalists?

SAWeiner

Reaction score
As others have said, writing is a rough business. Just keep in mind that by being published, you are way ahead of many people out there. I still have to reach that milestone myself. Anyway, if you can get published once, it can definitely happen again, and maybe next time, it will be a best seller that becomes a lasting classic like Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn.

Last edited: