• Extrovert

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I voted introvert. But am an introvert with stage skills (trained for opera), and have no problem whatsoever with piping up when I need to if I'm around people. If I'm in a people situation, I act extroverted. But with a few exceptions, you have to drag me to go to social events.

I have no problem writing dialogue (usually).

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose my characters are defined by being people broken by traumas, or obsessively driven by what they do, and only are incidentally introverted or extroverted.

My most extroverted character loves what he does, except for his customers who tend to be wealthy, entitled asshats. He does like being around people, just not most of the ones who hire him. :tongue

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

I voted introvert. But am an introvert with stage skills (trained for opera), and have no problem whatsoever with piping up when I need to if I'm around people. If I'm in a people situation, I act extroverted. But with a few exceptions, you have to drag me to go to social events.

I have no problem writing dialogue (usually).

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

There's a difference, I think, between being introverted and being shy. I love people. I'm pretty damn good at public speaking. I've sung for an audience more than once, and I was fine with that. But I must have alone time to decompress afterward, or I get cranky and weird.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
People are really draining and I have a hard time trusting them. I've gotten better but it's still a bit rough, and making eye contact remains excruciating. But I like talking to people, I can be an absolute flibbertigibbet when I get going.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
According to Myers Briggs every time I have taken it I have been just over the halfway point between E/I toward I. Close enough to the middle between the two that I'd hate to label myself either. But always a smidge more I than E.

I did not vote in the poll, because I feel like I am smack in the middle. But I might lean I.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
According to Myers Briggs every time I have taken it I have been just over the halfway point between E/I toward I. Close enough to the middle between the two that I'd hate to label myself either. But always a smidge more I than E.

I did not vote in the poll, because I feel like I am smack in the middle. But I might lean I.

I didn't vote either, for the same reason.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve never felt like either described me. Some social interactions drain me, others give me life and energy. Some days I’d kill for a little solitude, others I can’t get enough interaction.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a difference, I think, between being introverted and being shy. I love people. I'm pretty damn good at public speaking. I've sung for an audience more than once, and I was fine with that. But I must have alone time to decompress afterward, or I get cranky and weird.

Yep, that sounds like me. Need lots of inward time to function in social situations.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
Of course there will. But us dominators will need an hour or so every evening and half a day on weekends for some "me" time to recharge.

I think for me the act of writing (even if inspired by events out in the world) is a solitary thing that requires some energy, so I'm not sure how an extrovert can stay stimulated during the hours and hours of butt-in-chair it takes to get 90k words down of a story that works. I'm sure it happens, just like I can be in social situations and function just fine, but writing doesn't work that way for me. Writing is part of how I process my world and I need to withdraw inward for that.

I find that when I am trying to write I usually have my SO next to me so I can feed off of his energy. For it helps to talk over my thought processes.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
I think I fall on the extroverted side of extroverts. I love conventions filled with thousands of people, writing in public, working my table at a convention, visiting with complete strangers, and I've always been a big fan of the night life. While quiet evenings with a few friends is a cool thing, I still loved clubbing when I was in college, football games, and hanging out at the Student Union.

Bring on the people!

Extrovert! :hi:

By the fates I am so fortunate to find two of you! Quick lets band together to feed off each others creative energies!

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
*Pops out of cave* I'm so glad y'all found each other! *Pops back into cave*

SAWeiner

Reaction score
I am another introvert here. I was super shy and nervous as a child. I am better as an adult, but while others at work chat away, I happily work on decisions I need to write.

RCRichardson

Registered
Reaction score
. . . But am an introvert with stage skills (trained for opera), and have no problem whatsoever with piping up when I need to if I'm around people. If I'm in a people situation, I act extroverted. But with a few exceptions, you have to drag me to go to social events. . . .

Seriously, I'm kind of like Siri.

As a child, I was shy and didn't care for large groups of people. But as soon as those people (for whatever reason) turned to look at me, something clicked and I would break into my "Hello, ladies and germs, a funny thing happened to me on the way to the school yard this morning" personality--which surprised even me! Unfortunately, it also surprised my teachers, who often made me stay after school. I didn't mind the punishment, though. I considered it the same thing as being "held over for two more weeks in Vegas!" (Ha, ha!)

As I got older, I was lucky to have jobs that allowed me to be creative (as an introvert) and still address large crowds (as an extrovert). So, I consider myself to be a little of both.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... Unfortunately, it also surprised my teachers, who often made me stay after school. I didn't mind the punishment, though. I considered it the same thing as being "held over for two more weeks in Vegas!"
:Clap:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would stand and speak on this dichotomy, but Lavern says otherwise, so . . . :e2paperba

Chronodendron

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, introvert to an almost debilitating degree here. It's actually getting worse as I get older. I find I don't have the energy or patience to deal with mindless noise anymore. Writing allows me to take a break from the world and recharge.

Ricardo Salepas

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an ISTJ.
I'm in introvert to an extent and a balanced extrovert as well.
It all depends on the people I'm around at the time and how comfortable I feel around them.

Pinkarray

Registered
Reaction score
I can be both introverted or extroverted so I'm what you call an ambivert. I'm not the type of person that would go "hi everyone" at a party or something like that but sometimes if I find someone who seems interesting at a group, I can strike up a conversation to get to know them. Small groups where we share our stories or our lives are good for me. I like parties but I don't talk to everyone I meet.

But I'm not the type of person that would hang out with a friend everyday, enjoy being around crowds, or hear people screaming and talking crap. Sometimes I even push away some people that want to be friends with me. I have social anxiety disorder. If I don't take free time to just be alone, then it'd be harder for me to think and concentrate on writing. Having a lot of free means more time to wind down and write. Constantly worrying about schedule and other things makes me not feel like writing.

birdieb

Registered
Reaction score
when i don't have the confidence to be the one to initiate higher quality or deeper conversations i become introverted because by definition i'm acting powerless and settling for something i don't want and yet lacking the courage to create the circumstances i do want.

when i do have the confidence to initiate deeper or higher quality conversations i become, with time, neither one nor the other. If we're speaking strictly materially and behaviorally I'd still probably read like a fairly extreme introvert to an observer, but in reality I'm enjoying the quality of both solitude and socializing more because I have the confidence to be myself in either scenario and it's not being myself that's most draining (eg, "recovering" during solitude is me taking my mask back off to relax whereas when I don't need to "recover" in solitude then the quality of my solitude also goes up and not just the quality of my socializing).

alright! i hope that made sense!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My version of Hell is a mixer. I'm the guy roaming the margins, making just enough eye contact to confirm I don't know you, then roaming and pacing. I've been totally bald for about 15 years, but still feel the urge to duck into the men's room to adjust my hair just for something to do.

However, once I can find a one-on-one interaction to have, I'm fine. I don't need to know the person, it just needs to be no more than one or two others. I just can't deal with a group of four or five or seven all trying to outdo each other like some verbal volleyball match. But after even a one-on-one, I need some reflection time before I'm ready for another round.