• Introvert

Votes: 59 93.7%
  • Extrovert

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
Now, now I am not saying that we should fight (unless the mods say otherwise). But I am merely asking the question if more writers are introverts or extroverts. Now I know there are ambiverts but for the sake of research I want to know which side you fall more on. Because for me, an extroverted writer, it is extremely hard to find others like myself. For my dream is just to get into a voice call with extroverted writers (introverts can come too, I just know that they won't be keen on the idea) and just discuss writing woes and talk nonstop.

P.S. I apologize if this is the wrong place for this, I couldn't find the appropriate sub thread for it.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is the right place for this. I am definitely an introvert, where introvert means you get your energy internally, when you're not surrounded by other people. Or, yanno, a person. (Chickens don't count.)

I was married to an extrovert who got all his energy from other people. There's - quite a difference. It's not right or wrong. It's just - quite a difference.

ETA: I would imagine it's tricky to find extroverted writers. But I wish you luck :)

Last edited:

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is the right place for this. I am definitely an introvert, where introvert means you get your energy internally, when you're not surrounded by other people. Or, yanno, a person. (Chickens don't count.)

I was married to an extrovert who got all his energy from other people. There's - quite a difference. It's not right or wrong. It's just - quite a difference.

ETA: I would imagine it's tricky to find extroverted writers. But I wish you luck :)

Yeah my significant other is an introverted writer and he still doesn't quite understand that my creativity is sparked by social contact. Now he isn't an extreme introvert but on the scale of extroversion to introversion we greatly differ. That being said he understands my plight then doesn't. You introverted writers have it so easy :tongue

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You introverted writers have it so easy :tongue
Bless you, we really don't. The whole world is extroverted.

(I'm guessing you feel the other way about The Whole World ;) )

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
You introverted writers have it so easy :tongue

Nooooo, we don't! The many times I just want people to STOP TALKING TO ME so I can think about my story! :cry:

I hope you find your posse. My first thought was a writer's group? I was so glad when I found this site because I didn't have to sit in a room with other people and talk to them. I could just type. But an in-person group where y'all can bounce ideas and critiques might be a grand idea for you. I don't know.

Good luck to you and your SO, and welcome to the boards! :hi:

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm introverted as hell. Animals don't count as people when it comes to depleting my energy, but they are people in every way.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
Bless you, we really don't. The whole world is extroverted.

(I'm guessing you feel the other way about The Whole World ;) )

Lol usually. But with the writing world, it seems it is dominated by introverts. Is this something I should be worried about? Is there going to be a world domination soon done solely by introverts?

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
Nooooo, we don't! The many times I just want people to STOP TALKING TO ME so I can think about my story! :cry:

I hope you find your posse. My first thought was a writer's group? I was so glad when I found this site because I didn't have to sit in a room with other people and talk to them. I could just type. But an in-person group where y'all can bounce ideas and critiques might be a grand idea for you. I don't know.

Good luck to you and your SO, and welcome to the boards! :hi:

Yeah I hope so too! And finding an in person writer group is easier said then done here (because most of you are introverts!). And thank you I am happy to be here! I am loving how active it is compared to places like reddit.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In some ways, I do think it might be easier to be an introverted writer - as long as people ignore you. People mostly do ignore writers. But if you were an extroverted writer, it might be harder because really who wants to deal with the twinned but divergent threads of writer and extrovert? Though I have to say, I have met some, and they are the best raconteurs.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
I'm introverted as hell. Animals don't count as people when it comes to depleting my energy, but they are people in every way.

I wish I can get social energy from animals like some introverts have told me that they do. But alas, I must feed on the energy of the talkative.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
In some ways, I do think it might be easier to be an introverted writer - as long as people ignore you. People mostly do ignore writers. But if you were an extroverted writer, it might be harder because really who wants to deal with the twinned but divergent threads of writer and extrovert? Though I have to say, I have met some, and they are the best raconteurs.

Yeah I am surprised that my SO can deal with it. I believe it is a learned skill, from what an introvert says that is.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't talking to you.

( An introvert will get this ;) )

Ooh, let's be friends! We can not talk to each other. It'll be great!

(Sadly, it probably wouldn't work as I'm an extroverted introvert. :p)

One problem with being introverted is, I don't like getting out into social situations as much as an extrovert, which means I have less opportunities to observe people and use these observations to make my writing believable. Now, the flip side is, when I am in social situations I tend to fly-on-the-wall watch others interact, taking mental notes and not getting distracted by being involved in the action myself. But I'm sure there are benefits to being an extrovert writer.

I'm actually really interested. Care to fill us in, Karatics? :)

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I can get social energy from animals like some introverts have told me that they do. But alas, I must feed on the energy of the talkative.

I wouldn't say I get energy from my cats, but they don't drain my energy like people. I even need space from the people I love most. It actually makes me feel bad because people think I don't like them and it's just that I need to be left alone sometimes.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, let's be friends! We can not talk to each other. It'll be great!

(Sadly, it probably wouldn't work as I'm an extroverted introvert. :p)

One problem with being introverted is, I don't like getting out into social situations as much as an extrovert, which means I have less opportunities to observe people and use these observations to make my writing believable. Now, the flip side is, when I am in social situations I tend to fly-on-the-wall watch others interact, taking mental notes and not getting distracted by being involved in the action myself. But I'm sure there are benefits to being an extrovert writer.

I'm actually really interested. Care to fill us in, Karatics? :)

One benefit that I can name off the bat is that dialogue comes as easy as breathing. And when it comes to planning a story (that is if you are a plotter) just talking over your idea to someone can fully flesh out an idea, even if the idea that is created is something other than you imagined.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One problem with being introverted is, I don't like getting out into social situations as much as an extrovert, which means I have less opportunities to observe people and use these observations to make my writing believable.

People are people, though. If you're a person, you can imaginate other people. I don't hate people - I kind of love them. I just want them to be - over there. And, yanno, quiet.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I get energy from my cats, but they don't drain my energy like people. I even need space from the people I love most. It actually makes me feel bad because people think I don't like them and it's just that I need to be left alone sometimes.

Yeah when my SO and I first got together it was a struggle when he just wanted to "be left alone". It was never too long mind you but it anything over 2 hour stretches are hell for me. But there is an exception and that if I am currently invested in social interaction at the moment. So I don't feel the effects as long but then second the interaction ends, it starts to come back.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely an introvert. The more time I spend with other people, the more energy it takes from me. I can be loud and bubbly and social, but it drains me so much, and the more I have to do it, the harder it is.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
People are people, though. If you're a person, you can imaginate other people. I don't hate people - I kind of love them. I just want them to be - over there. And, yanno, quiet.

*Where the Extrovert is beckoning over the person that mccardey shooed* Hey you, yeah you. How is it going? Did you see this one movie? Oh I noticed you were talking about that one book, I love that author's works too! Did you read anything else by him? *this continues for awhile, possibly forever*

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can be loud and bubbly and social, but it drains me so much, and the more I have to do it, the harder it is.
THat! That there!! And the more you do it, the more people expect you to do it. And the thing is - you're doing it because you know how much you would rather be anywhere else. Just - yanno - watching. And being ignored.

Karatics

Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely an introvert. The more time I spend with other people, the more energy it takes from me. I can be loud and bubbly and social, but it drains me so much, and the more I have to do it, the harder it is.

Yeah my introverted friend is the same as well. She can be super bubbly but afterwards she is in a shell for 3 days.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol usually. But with the writing world, it seems it is dominated by introverts. Is this something I should be worried about? Is there going to be a world domination soon done solely by introverts?

Of course there will. But us dominators will need an hour or so every evening and half a day on weekends for some "me" time to recharge.

I think for me the act of writing (even if inspired by events out in the world) is a solitary thing that requires some energy, so I'm not sure how an extrovert can stay stimulated during the hours and hours of butt-in-chair it takes to get 90k words down of a story that works. I'm sure it happens, just like I can be in social situations and function just fine, but writing doesn't work that way for me. Writing is part of how I process my world and I need to withdraw inward for that.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what I am. I love hanging out with people and get energized from chatting with friends, but I also get energized from alone time. Too much of either depresses me. So I guess I’m an...extroverted introvert? Iono, any hybrids around?