Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hounds: Uncle Jim is editing an anthology called "Horror for the Throne: One Sitting Reads"

Yes, the porcelain throne. :greenie

Here are the details from his website madhousemanor.com:

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Ian Randal Strock’s Fantastic Books has contracted with James D. Macdonald, Judith K. Dial, and Tom Easton for an anthology of 40 short horror stories to be called
HORROR FOR THE THRONEONE-SITTING READS
We will open for submissions on August 8, 2019. Submissions will close September 15, 2019. Proposed publication date is early 2020, in all the usual paper and electronic formats.
We’re looking for reprints. Previously published where the rights have reverted to the author. 500-2000 words. Pay is $20 flat fee for non-exclusive reprint rights. The stories should NOT involve bathroom horror.
Send submissions (and questions) to Tom at [email protected].
The book will join SCIENCE FICTION FOR THE THRONE and FANTASY FOR THE THRONE on Ian’s dealer table at numerous conventions (as well as on his website at fantasticbooks.biz and on Amazon etc.). With luck, everyone will decide they just have to have the whole set.
Buy one. Better still, buy a dozen. They make excellent gifts.

FAQs:
Q. What do you mean by “horror”?
A: Something that scares me.
Q. What rights do you take?
A. Non-exclusive reprint rights.
Q. I’m a big name author. What’s my pay going to be?
A. Twenty bucks.
Q. My story won an award! What’s the rate?
A. Twenty bucks, flat fee.
Q. What’s the royalty rate?
A. Flat fee.
Q. I have a super-scary drabble! Can I send it in?
A. Is it at least 500 words? If so, yes.
Q. I have an original story! Can I submit it?
A. I suppose so, but it’s still a flat twenty bucks, and you’ll only be able to sell it as a reprint afterward. Are you really sure you want to do this?
Q. My novel excerpt is 5,000 words! Will you look at it?
A. Yes, after you’ve cut 3,000 words.
Q. I don’t write horror, but I have a really funny Little Baby Bunny story. Want to look at it?
A. Maybe for the Baby Animals for the Throne anthology (not yet scheduled).
Q. I have a 1500 word previously published really scary horror story that, unfortunately, consists entirely of bathroom humor. Can I send “It Came From Beneath the Loo” for your consideration?
A. If you must, but be aware that it’ll had better be super scary and totally brilliant and utterly unique and all those other literary vitamins and minerals if you expect it to crawl its way up the sewer pipe.
Q. I don’t have a short horror story that fits your requirements, but I’m a big name author and I want to write a blurb for the back of the book telling everyone how much I loved it and how they should buy it. Can we talk?
A. Yes. Professor Tom wants to hear from you.
Q. Can I tell all my writer friends about this anthology?
A. Yes. If you don’t have friends make some friends just so you can tell them.

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I checked with Prof. Tom on the e-sub format requirements.
He's not fussy--there really are none, other than using common sense (file must be easily accessed/open/read - think doc, docx, rtf, txt, etc.).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm seriously anal-retentive and planned to sub to this on the first day.

Except I'll be driving to Suffolk VA for the fantastic Suffolk Mystery Authors' Festival on 8/8 and won't be back until dark o'clock Sunday night. Augh! I'm already fretting that all the spots will be filled by then. :eek:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have two horror short stories that were published in Sanitarium Magazine before they stopped publishing their monthly. The rights have reverted back. I'm surprised this publisher is actually asking for reprints but it's great, I'll submit at least one of the stories, probably both.

Of course if they are looking for 40 stories, I don't expect to be in the top 40 if they get a whole lot more than that submitted.

Thanks for sharing Calla Lily. :D

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a horror erotica short on which the rights reverted. Any response, Cobalt Jade?

Maryn, who'd have to check the word count