Looking for Recs: Sci-Fi Romance

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations for books that are heavy on the romance and light on the sci-fi - but still definitely sci-fi. Preferably spaceships and robots sort of sci-fi, not dystopian. It can be adult or YA, but preferably adult. I tried looking on Goodreads Listopia, but so far most of the lists/books are heavy on the YA. Would also prefer newer books, if possible. Thanks!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Lee and Miller Plan B, or Balance of Trade.
Bujold Cordelia's Honor.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It's YA, but These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. After a spaceship crashes on an abandoned terraformed world, the sole survivors - a soldier of humble origins and an heiress - must survive until they are rescued... but the planet holds a dark secret that could destroy everything. (It takes a bit to get beyond some trope-bordering-on-cliche bits, but it does deliver on the emotions with a nice twist.) First of a trilogy.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting to, but I really enjoyed this one about a human and a humanoid alien on another planet.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I’ve been reading Ruby Dixon’s Ice Home series (earth women stolen and crash landed on an ice planet wit big blue heroes) —super fun and hawt sci-fi rom. Her Dagon series is also good but it’s more dystopian/fantasy than sci-fi.

I also enjoyed Emmy Chandler’s Prison Planet series though it’s a bit grittier and violent.

Both are are also KU authors, if that’s your thing.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm back. I'm kind of limited to what my library has. I really wanted to check out the Bujold series, but so far no luck finding any. I found a series at my library by Rachel Bach, the first book is called Fortune's Pawn. It was wasn't bad, but it wasn't the greatest, and I don't think I'll read the rest of the trilogy. Just not what I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm wondering if there are any that are less adventure/space opera and more romantic comedy set in space? Does that exist? lol I've just read a lot of newer sff YA lately and everything I pick up seems to be about saving the entire world, which only the main characters can do. I would love to read something fun and light that doesn't involve saving the world or evil political space plans.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back. I'm kind of limited to what my library has. I really wanted to check out the Bujold series, but so far no luck finding any. I found a series at my library by Rachel Bach, the first book is called Fortune's Pawn. It was wasn't bad, but it wasn't the greatest, and I don't think I'll read the rest of the trilogy. Just not what I'm looking for at the moment.

I'm wondering if there are any that are less adventure/space opera and more romantic comedy set in space? Does that exist? lol I've just read a lot of newer sff YA lately and everything I pick up seems to be about saving the entire world, which only the main characters can do. I would love to read something fun and light that doesn't involve saving the world or evil political space plans.

Bujold's A Civil Campaign fits that criteria. I'm surprised the library doesn't have Bujold's Vorkosigan books; many are Hugo and other award winners.

Does your library have ebooks? Do you read ebooks? You might like the free Baen ebook by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller Agent of Change though it's space opera of the save the world variety, and there's a core romance.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason my library only has audio books by Bujold. I listen to contemporary romance audio books all the time, but I have trouble following along with sff audio books - there are too many new, alien words and intricate world building. At least if I tune out for a minute or two with a contemporary book, it's easy to get back into. With sff, I always feel like I'm missing something and have to pay extra attention, but I like to listen to audio books while doing other things, like chores. After I'm done my current trilogy of contemporary romance books, I will give the Bujold audio books a try.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
For some reason my library only has audio books by Bujold. I listen to contemporary romance audio books all the time, but I have trouble following along with sff audio books - there are too many new, alien words and intricate world building. At least if I tune out for a minute or two with a contemporary book, it's easy to get back into. With sff, I always feel like I'm missing something and have to pay extra attention, but I like to listen to audio books while doing other things, like chores. After I'm done my current trilogy of contemporary romance books, I will give the Bujold audio books a try.

I used to listen to Shards of Honor in the car. I probably listened to it 8 or 9 times.

The reader wasn't great - he was male, and tended to go for a slightly childish sing-song when Cordelia was speaking. So in my head I made her sound like Ellen Ripley. :)

The book makes for a solid read-aloud, btw. I don't think you'd get lost.

litdawg

Helping those who help themselves
Registered
Reaction score
I don't read broadly enough to have good suggestions, but romance is one of the bigger subplots in Julie Czerneda's Species Imperative series. It's only a small subplot in the first book, but it grows quite a bit as the series continues. And the romantic tension plays an important role throughout.

Rocket

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for these recommendations!

I like the Ruby Dixon novels, too.

In the USA, most libraries in capital cities give cards to everyone in the state for free. A day trip to the capital usually can result in bringing home a card that will allow borrowing from an extensive e-book collection that can be download from anywhere.

If you have poor vision, you sometimes qualify as "print disabled" and have access to more free e-books.

Canada
http://www.kainailibrary.ca/services/print-disability-resources

USA
https://www.bookshare.org/cms/

International
https://archive.org/details/texts

If you have an echo device, Alexa can read any Kindle book that is listed under "books", but not those listed under "documents". Alexa reads surprisingly well, and might be good enough for you. I think Siri can read iBooks, but not as well. I have not tried the update in ios 13, yet. One of the reasons I pay for Kindle Unlimited is that Alexa can read the KU books that I borrow.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, more stuff to add to the TBR! The Ruby Dixon books look interesting and my library seems to have a ton of her audio books.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure it is still in print, but if you can find a copy, you might consider Merchanter's Luck by C J Cherryh. It's been donkeys since I read it, but there was a romance thread veined through a compelling story set in her Alliance/Union 'verse. I remember finishing the novel and reading it straight through again.