Kids Mimic what they see.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Our best friends went out of town for a weekend getaway in NYC and left their 4 year old daughter and 20 month old son with us to watch for three nights. (Note we're empty-nesters)

Needless to say, I spent time writing this weekend between helping out with the kids. Truth be told, my wife managed the kids most of the time. So while tapping away on the keyboard on ms revisions, reading threads here on AW, writing a crit on critters, and working on a new webpage, I happened to step away from the PC for several minutes. When I returned to my office, I found the 20 month old boy climbing down from my chair. "WHAT?" I found about two sentences worth of complete gibberish inserted into the middle of where I was working. :tongue . It was pretty funny.

The boy has a thing for pressing buttons. We have to put up the remote controls for the TV, cable, and Apple TV whenever he comes to visit or else he will grab them and start pressing random buttons. Yesterday, I asked my wife why she gave him a calculator. She said she didn't and we both wondered where he found it. He just walked around the house happy as a lark, pressing buttons on the calculator. We do have an old flip phone that we let him play with (Yes, we removed the battery so he can't dial 911). And then last night when I went to bed (we have one of those sleep number beds) I found my side of the bed rock hard. The boy had grabbed the control sitting on my end table and maxed out the firmness to 100 (my sleep number is 65).

The kid is a riot. I've never seen a happier boy, but he is mischievous. He's in the other room right now growling at his sister and then giggling. I find some of my best humor just watching what kids do and say. I'm sure we all have our funny stories that we sometimes tie into our writing.

I thought of one more, only because he just did it again. The toddler went into our laundry room and reset the next load of our front load washer to wash at 1 hour and 58 minutes. I have no idea how he did it.

Last edited:

RCRichardson

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, ha, Robert!

Years ago, even before my two nephews could read or write, they would climb onto my desk chair and press the buttons on my computer keyboard. I would show them how to do different things, and eventually it became their favorite "toy" (although I had to watch them carefully).

Now they both have degrees in computer science and I can't tell you how many times I've had to ask them how to do different things (sometimes things that have nothing to do with computing, ha, ha!).

It's a crazy world!