Snowflake method

dennis7490

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used it, and if so what did you think?

Thanks,

Dennis

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using it as of about a week or two ago and really liking it a lot. I'm on step 6 but doing step 8 simultaneously (I actually love spreadsheets and squealed in joy when i saw i would get to make one), and also writing a few scenes, which are much easier having worked through the logistics of the scene and story arc beforehand.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I did it for my first WIP and it was really helpful. I haven't had success with it since, but I've found myself using parts of it. For example, I just got done writing a big-picture multi-paragraph view of my novel from three different POVs, which I know is one of the steps? Also the one-sentence step (1) is so helpful to identify big-picture problems with the conflict and stakes.

For me it was most helpful because it forced me to think in terms of plot, and I tend to think in terms of character and situation.

I'd say give it a try if it looks intriguing, if steps appeal to you (like spreadsheets—the spreadsheet was fun!), or if it addresses a weak point of your writing. :)

dennis7490

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I'm horrible with spread sheets, so it doesn't sound like the program for me, since both of you mentioned spread sheets. I just bought Save the Cat for novels, and I like his program for screenplays, so will stick with that.
Thanks,
Dennis