got my first rejection

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm seeing this as a good thing for a couple of reasons. 1: I was pretty sure I was going to get a rejection. It was for a flash fiction magazine and I don't really write (or really enjoy writing) flash fiction, but I've been trying to broaden my writing horizons and I tend to overwrite so I thought it would be a nice challenge. 2: Having my first rejection means I actually tried to submit something so it's progress. I actually just posted another submission to the same magazine so we'll see how it goes. I think this one's better so I have higher hopes, but I'm still kind of expecting a rejection. Their word count limit is 1000 words and my flash fiction literally has 999 words so...I did it, but just barely. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but I shouldn't be hearing from them for about 4-6 weeks so we'll see. I'm still seeing this as a win.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Keep at it, you'll get there.

redstick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimriley.net
If you think about it, rejections are out fertilizer. I know we call them BS, but they help us change. They help us grow stronger because we then have to become better writers so that we don't continue receiving them. So accept that rejection as a catalyst for change and improvement.

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com
2: Having my first rejection means I actually tried to submit something so it's progress.

That is a great thing. Putting your work out there by submitting is always a daunting thing so it's a real triumph that you did it.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be proud for challenging yourself and stepping out of your comfort zone. It takes guts to do that!