Crossover question

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
First, an admission: I've been thinking that "crossover" meant some sort of genre blend, like SF AND F, or historical AND romance. Apparently, this is not the case?
So, real question, what are the rules on crossover, in the sense of a book that could be adult or YA? (because that's what it means, right?) I'd love to call mine NA (new adult) but there's zero romance for the MC, and apparently that's what NA requires these days. There's some cursing, and the character is very much an adult, albeit she's not good at adulting. If I cleared the cursing, could it be "crossover?" Anything else governing that, in most cases??
Thanks!

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
I highly recommend listening to Pub Crawl podcast ep 87 & 88, Deep Dive into Children's Publishing. They cover the nitty gritty of the different levels of MG, YA, the history of NA, and what distinguishes YA from adult, and what crossover potential means. It touches on your questions but is also a great listen overall.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I have no idea when I will have the mental bandwidth for that, but I'll try. (I hate podcasts, because I have to sit and listen and I cannot skim or listen FASTER the way I can read)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
(I hate podcasts, because I have to sit and listen and I cannot skim or listen FASTER the way I can read)

Same, but I'm really into them now becuase I've been combining them with mindless, grindy video games

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Yep, I listen while doing something else (driving commute, cleaning house, mindless tasks, etc.). You can also turn the speed up and listen 1.5x or 2x to get through faster.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
First, an admission: I've been thinking that "crossover" meant some sort of genre blend, like SF AND F, or historical AND romance. Apparently, this is not the case?
. . .
Thanks!

As I understand it (and I'm no expert), while both tend to be used as marketing terms, some folks confuse crossover with mash-up.
It seems to be generally accepted that mash-up refers to a blending of two or more recognized genres within the same work; whereas, crossover refers to the targeting of a given work at two or more recognized reader demographic/audiences, hence the labels MG, YA, NA, etc.