Send Publishers a Stand-Alone book or the First in a Series?

MKnightium

Registered
Reaction score
Confusing title, I know. My apologies for that.

This was a question that's been rattling around in my head for the last few days. I've been in touch with Parvus Press, who I recommend 'cause they're good people, about publishing.

As a result, I've been working on a few things but, hence the topic, I'm conflicted on which to prioritize on and send to them: the first in a fantasy book series that's to span at least six books or a stand-alone, single entry novel.

I'm not sure which would be a wiser thing to send to them, so here's this fourm entry. Perhaps some light can be shined onto this.

...also gonna make sure I get notified about this fourm if people reply.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I would submit it as a stand alone with series potential. That way you cover both grounds.

MKnightium

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I could perhaps do that. Namely, the first in the series books makes it clear it's going for a series, but based on my notes it wraps up with a sound conclusion. So, I could shift my focus to working on that one, then.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You're never guaranteed that you're going to get the chance to publish an entire series, unless you're willing to self-pub. Whatever you write, write it as a standalone, even if it's possible to give it a sequel.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
What others have said. You have no idea if you are going to ever got a deal with this one book so introducing it as a series is putting the cart before the horse. Self-publishing is different because you know for sure the series will see the light of day. With trade, it's too much of a tossup. You don't know how things will end. Another thing, say you get a deal for this book and it flops. :e2drunk: If it flops you can forget a trade publisher offering you a deal for a series. No way is that happening.

Be patient, grasshopper. Write it as a standalone. If you get a deal and a pub is interested in making it a series, go from there.

Last edited:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I've always suggested the Star Wars method for writing trilogies - 1st book - self-contained, but lots of hooks for future stuff, no cliffhangers; 2nd book - everything goes to hell for the characters, may end on a cliffhanger; 3rd book, wrap stuff up (no Ewoks please), leave crumbs for possible follow-on books, but wrap up all the big threads.

Even Star Wars was planned as if there would only be the first movie because Lucas had NO clue if it was going to hit or not.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I would submit it as a stand alone with series potential. That way you cover both grounds.

This is exactly what I did. I always write my books with the escape hatch, "It can comfortably end here, BUT if you want it to go further, there's a series ready to pick up the deliberately loose threads scattered here and there."

So far I've never had to worry about a second book, but if, fates willing, the debut goes well next year, the publishers will be asking me about future plans for that follow on that first book.

Klope3

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but the topic is very relevant to my WIP. It's intended as the first book in a series, and has a big cliffhanger at the end (though the book's own main plot is neatly resolved). It's also intended as my first published book. I've heard that agents and publishers, in general, tend to be more interested in publishing series because they hook readers for more books, and therefore more sales.

It seems like this would have some truth to it, but it also seems like most of you disagree. Is the advice I got a common myth among writers, or maybe just some random person being wrong on the internet? Are publishers more interested in a series proposition if the author already has a good track record?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but the topic is very relevant to my WIP. It's intended as the first book in a series, and has a big cliffhanger at the end (though the book's own main plot is neatly resolved). It's also intended as my first published book. I've heard that agents and publishers, in general, tend to be more interested in publishing series because they hook readers for more books, and therefore more sales.

It seems like this would have some truth to it, but it also seems like most of you disagree. Is the advice I got a common myth among writers, or maybe just some random person being wrong on the internet? Are publishers more interested in a series proposition if the author already has a good track record?

Disclaimer: I am one person, and a lot of my understanding is based on my own experience and informal conversations with other authors and agents.

There's a difference between a book with series potential, and a book that ends on a cliffhanger and MUST have a sequel to satisfy the reader. The first is attractive because sure, fine, if the book does OK we'll buy more; but if the book doesn't do well (or, more accurately, well enough), they're not out anything serious. Books that are essentially not complete are higher risk, and whether or not a publisher is willing to buy one of them has everything to do with how much risk they're willing to bear.

So yeah, I think you've had bad advice on that front. There are a lot of myths that fly around, especially about trade publishing. That said, you've got to write the book you've got, and if your book needs a cliffhanger, there you go. Writing something you're not passionate about strikes me as a higher risk than a book that's probably going to be a hard sell.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
^^^^

What lizmonster said.

The first time anyone at my publisher knew I was writing a series was after contracts were signed, edits on the first book were finished, and I was on to my second editor. Publishers LOVE a series, but a first book shouldn't be submitted as the beginning of one. (I'm finishing book three now.)