NFL Season Thread 2019

Dr. Jerry

Registered
Reaction score
It's looking like a good year to be an Eagles fan if Carson Wentz can stay healthy. If not they might be in trouble since there's no Nick Foles to step in. Man it was nice having a Super Bowl MVP as a back up but who knows, maybe Nate Sudfeld can provide that insurance. I'm definitely excited for the return of Desean Jackson and am looking forward to seeing some 70+ yard touchdown catches.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am a 49ers fan, and that hasn't been a fun place to be since the owner ran off Jim Harbaugh, tossed Colin Kaepernick to the wolves, but kept Blaine Gabbert and last season lost more players than the Bataan Death March. The Forty-Whiners even managed to lose both of their games against a putrid Arizona Cardinals team to give them their only wins of the season.

Good health and better play from the defensive side of the ball could put the Niners in the mix for a second-place finish, but I don't Seattle is going to drop off the map and the Rams are still the prohibitive favorite, but the 49ers could make things interesting.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
The Broncos are going to suck again, which is okay. I don't want to waste my time watching a bunch of overpaid athletes unless they're a great team, and I don't see that being the case, since they don't have a great quarterback or a great running back.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
The Broncos are going to suck again, which is okay. I don't want to waste my time watching a bunch of overpaid athletes unless they're a great team, and I don't see that being the case, since they don't have a great quarterback or a great running back.

I grew up in Denver and lived there until very recently (moved to TN for work), so I feel ya. Grew up on Lyle Alzado and Kevin Morton if that's any indication - Orange Crush days baybee!

Anyway, totally agree that I weep for the future of the Broncos, and when someone like me says this - you know it's bad. My biggest fear is that things will not get better until Mr. Elway steps away from the franchise. He was a great quarterback, don't get me wrong, but no one can tell him he's wrong. And you don't need someone like that running the team. So, until the Bowlen family gets it's ownership in order (not good for the franchise either when ownership is bickering), and cans Elway as President or whatever title he has now, they're just not gonna be able to compete - who would want to play for a team like that?

I'm willing to bet that the few talented players we still have will test the free agency market next year.. :(

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Been watching some of the old Hard Knocks episodes from the year they covered Rex Ryan and the Jets. I had never seen the show before. It's good reality TV. Man I am itching for football to start.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
It's looking like a good year to be an Eagles fan if Carson Wentz can stay healthy. If not they might be in trouble since there's no Nick Foles to step in. Man it was nice having a Super Bowl MVP as a back up but who knows, maybe Nate Sudfeld can provide that insurance. I'm definitely excited for the return of Desean Jackson and am looking forward to seeing some 70+ yard touchdown catches.

I don't make my predictions until opening week but I have to agree. The Eagles look loaded and are going to be my possible Super Bowl pick for this year. Wentz has never taken a postseason snap, so that could be a concern, but I think if he stays healthy they will go deep into the playoffs.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I am a 49ers fan, and that hasn't been a fun place to be since the owner ran off Jim Harbaugh, tossed Colin Kaepernick to the wolves, but kept Blaine Gabbert and last season lost more players than the Bataan Death March. The Forty-Whiners even managed to lose both of their games against a putrid Arizona Cardinals team to give them their only wins of the season.

Good health and better play from the defensive side of the ball could put the Niners in the mix for a second-place finish, but I don't Seattle is going to drop off the map and the Rams are still the prohibitive favorite, but the 49ers could make things interesting.

Garoppolo is a talented young QB, he just got hurt so early in the season last year. The 49ers are in a tough spot since they have to deal with Goff and Wilson in that division for a lot of years to come.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've signed up for two elimination leagues. One straight up elimination and one is a points league. I did these last year and got knocked out in week 1 after the Lions laid an egg against the Jets on MNF. It started off so well and ended in a dumpster fire. Maybe it will be better this year.

bugbite

Registered
Reaction score

This was a bit of a surprise with the timing only weeks before the start of the season. From what I read it seemed like he was alluding to post concussion syndrome, and further brain injury as the reason for retirement. I wonder if he did damaging things in his youth that are now catching up to him. When the NFL was dealing with their lawsuit from retired players one does have to wonder how much of that came from playing in the NFL, and how much was incurred from playing high school/college football. Hopefully with CTE awareness where it is now teenagers won't messing themselves up, and problems can be mitigated that can effect them down the road.

Or, I wonder if doesn't feel completely healthy to go through another NFL season, and plans on returning next year.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Packers @ Bears, Sept. 5th (game one regular season). College football was a blast this past weekend, but I am ready for some regular season NFL. There are some really big games in college this weekend. Going to be a fun weekend.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I might regret posting this later in the season after I get a bunch of shit wrong. Here are my 2019 predictions.

2019 NFL Picks

AFC

East 1. Patriots 2. Bills 3. Jets 4. Dolphins

North 1. Browns 2. Steelers* 3. Ravens 4. Bengals

South 1. Jaguars 2. Texans 3. Titans 4. Colts

West 1. Chiefs 2. Chargers* 3. Broncos 4. Raiders

AFCCG: Patriots over Chiefs

NFC

East 1. Eagles 2. Cowboys* 3. Redskins 4. Giants

North 1. Packers 2. Bears 3. Vikings 4. Lions

South 1. Saints 2. Panthers* 3. Falcons 4. Bucs

West 1. Rams 2. Seahawks 3. 49ers 4. Cardinals

NFCCG: Saints over Eagles

Super Bowl: Patriots over Saints

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Impossible to know who gets placed where in the playoffs. The teams who are not wildcards have advantages for sure. I'm looking to see improvement in the Chargers this year. They did awesome last year. Rams were strong last year, making it to the Superbowl. I'd guess they are more driven to get back there and take it all. For me, too early for predictions.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The Bears offensive was horrific tonight. Three points and did basically nothing all game. In the 4th quarter they turned a 1st and 10 into a 3rd and 40. I can't remember the last time I saw a team in a 3rd and 40. Packers take it 10-3 in a rather ugly game of bad offense and penalties. There was some solid defensive play but wow, the offense for both teams were way off.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I might regret posting this later in the season after I get a bunch of shit wrong. Here are my 2019 predictions.

2019 NFL Picks

AFC

East 1. Patriots 2. Bills 3. Jets 4. Dolphins

North 1. Browns 2. Steelers* 3. Ravens 4. Bengals

South 1. Jaguars 2. Texans 3. Titans 4. Colts

West 1. Chiefs 2. Chargers* 3. Broncos 4. Raiders

AFCCG: Patriots over Chiefs

NFC

East 1. Eagles 2. Cowboys* 3. Redskins 4. Giants

North 1. Packers 2. Bears 3. Vikings 4. Lions

South 1. Saints 2. Panthers* 3. Falcons 4. Bucs

West 1. Rams 2. Seahawks 3. 49ers 4. Cardinals

NFCCG: Saints over Eagles

Super Bowl: Patriots over Saints

Wow, giving the Broncos 3rd place? That's mighty bold given that we essentially have no QB anymore. Though technically I don't live in Denver anymore (got transferred to Nashville)...so maybe I can become a Titans fan? Eh, no, I can't switch teams, but still think the Broncos will be cellar dwellers this year. I like your other picks though :)

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The Antonio Brown saga is over in Oakland. Raiders released him today.

Edit:

That was fast. Just a few hours after being cut from the Raiders Brown inked a one year deal with the Patriots. He won't be available for the Sunday game against the Steelers and will join the roster on Monday.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Civil suit before criminal charges? Her motivations make me want to wait for the matter to play out in the courts before I formulate an opinion.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Predictions for the 2019 season:

AFC East - Patriots, Bills, Jets, Dolphins
AFC South - Texans, Titans, Colts, Jaguars
AFC North - Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Bengals
AFC West - Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Broncos

NFC East -Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins, Giants