NFL Season Thread 2019

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
A one-point loss in Seattle while breaking in a new coach and system wasn't the worst way for the Bengals to start the season. I was worried they were going to be Miami Dolphinned.

It will take time and probably won't happen this year, but I think Zac Taylor will get the Bengals where they want to go.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Lions sure blew that game on Sunday against Arizona. They had it and gave it away. Like Dennis Green once said "we let em off the hook!" With that tough NFC North that tie could be costly for Detroit if they are fighting for a playoff spot late in the year.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger both went down with injuries today. There is some speculation that Brees could be out of the year but it remains to be known at this point.

Adam Vinatieri had a bad game today and is considering retirement. He will make an announcement on Monday.

Patriots destroyed the Dolphins 43-0 in a battle of best vs worst. Miami's offense had no points, gave up seven sacks, and had four interceptions, two of them returned for touchdowns. Yes, the Patriots are that good and yes, the Dolphins are that bad.

The Lions bounced back from that wild tie last week in Arizona by holding off the Chargers. Looked like LA was gonna score late in the 4th but Rivers got intercepted in the end zone.

Crazy ending in the Bears Broncos game with Chicago getting the win.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Antonio Brown cut by the Patriots today after he sent threatening text messages to a sexual abuse accuser. Hopefully he will just go away now.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this weeks games? Baltimore @ KC sounds like a good one, probably the best match up of the week. They had a crazy game last year. Denver @ Green Bay? Oakland @ Minnesota? Two games that are almost sure blowouts are NYJ @ Patriots and Miami @ Dallas, but other than that it's a decent set of games.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
KC and Detroit both hold on in tight games. The Lions Eagles game was sloppy and the Eagles lost more than the Lions won. Jets and Dolphins kept it closer than I expected. Miami had a chance to get a TD right before the half and take the lead but they turned it over. It was all Dallas after that.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see the Saints up 33-14 in Seattle right now. WOW. Four minutes left.

Edit - Saints hold on and win 33-27

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I might regret posting this later in the season after I get a bunch of shit wrong. Here are my 2019 predictions.

2019 NFL Picks

AFC

East 1. Patriots 2. Bills 3. Jets 4. Dolphins

North 1. Browns 2. Steelers* 3. Ravens 4. Bengals

South 1. Jaguars 2. Texans 3. Titans 4. Colts

West 1. Chiefs 2. Chargers* 3. Broncos 4. Raiders

AFCCG: Patriots over Chiefs

NFC

East 1. Eagles 2. Cowboys* 3. Redskins 4. Giants

North 1. Packers 2. Bears 3. Vikings 4. Lions

South 1. Saints 2. Panthers* 3. Falcons 4. Bucs

West 1. Rams 2. Seahawks 3. 49ers 4. Cardinals

NFCCG: Saints over Eagles

Super Bowl: Patriots over Saints

Eagles: 1-2 start ; Saints: 2-1 (no Brees for 6 weeks and they lost to Rams with him) ; Rams: 3-0.

Still liking your NFC prediction?

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Eagles: 1-2 start ; Saints: 2-1 (no Brees for 6 weeks and they lost to Rams with him) ; Rams: 3-0.

Still liking your NFC prediction?

I think the Eagles need to get healthy and start catching the ball. Wentz has not been perfect but he didn't get much help from his WRs this week either. I still think Philly is loaded and can make a run. It's too bad about Brees getting hurt, that could keep the Saints out of the playoffs or at least out of a high seed.

I tend not to get too caught up in early season outcomes. I've seen plenty of teams start slow and have great seasons and also teams that started fast and crashed in the second half. That being said I am sure to be wrong about some of it. :)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Interesting start to the NFL season, so far. Sad to see Flacco and the Broncos doing so poorly (no wins). Let's see how week 4 goes.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
What's stunning to me about Denver is that they have struggled to get sacks. I thought that would be one of their strongest elements.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Eagles (34) - Packers (27) tonight. Packers were on the 1 yard line of the Eagles and couldn't get the touchdown to tie it up. The Packers beat themselves.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Week Five coming up. Eventually, the Patriots are going to run out of NAIA teams to play.

Can't believe the Chiefs are an 11-pt (10.5 some places) favorite against the Colts. Somehow, that just seems a tad excessive.

Can't figure out some of the teams out there - even with injuries, seems like teams are playing well below expectations league-wide.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Not going to even discuss the bad beats the Broncos are getting from really bad referee calls, but they have at least twice now had chances to win games only to beat themselves in the end. Von and Chubb barely showed up this season and now Chubb is out, so...

Yep, cellar dwellers

As to the rest of the league - seems Mahomes can do no wrong (even staring down refs now - though he was really just looking to see if there was a flag thrown for his offensive line holding). Dallas is looking good, and the Dolphins are the only threat to the Broncos not​ getting the first pick in the 2020 draft.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I realize it's only the first four weeks, but it's hard to envision the entire AFC with only 3 teams above .500.

I thought we were getting Bronco'ed when they put two seconds back on the clock last Sunday, but luckily, Detroit was too far away to attempt a field goal.

Sorry to hear about Chubb's injury. He's one of the few Broncos I like. Now you just have to hope Elway doesn't trade away your first round pick in an attempt to save this season.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Week Five coming up. Eventually, the Patriots are going to run out of NAIA teams to play.

Can't believe the Chiefs are an 11-pt (10.5 some places) favorite against the Colts. Somehow, that just seems a tad excessive.

Can't figure out some of the teams out there - even with injuries, seems like teams are playing well below expectations league-wide.

Bills were 3-0 before their loss to the Patriots last week (close game too).

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone still following the NFL season?

Seems like the Ravens are the stronger team than the Patriots (after they lost to the Texans who were beat by the Broncos later). The Patriots lost to the Ravens earlier in the season.

How are your teams doing?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
It seems when I give up on the Broncos, they tend to do better. I shoulda given up on Week 1 :)

(They still are horrible this year comparatively...)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting strategy. It might pay off next season.

College bowl games start next weekend. I think I'm going to wait to see who gets in the playoffs before I support anyone through till the end.