First Book You Read

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
What's the first book you read? By this I don't mean a children's book as a kid or something you had to read for school. What I want to talk about is the first book you ever went out and bought with money you saved up because you wanted to read it. And why that book?

For me it was Private Parts by Howard Stern. I was in high school and watched Stern on the E! show at night and had become a big fan. I had already seen the movie several times and loved it. I wasn't a reader at the time but saved up some money from working a minimum wage job and went out to Barnes and Noble one night to get the book. Got away from the TV (not Howard) and video games for a few nights and locked myself in my room to read the book.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
The Stepsister, by R.L. Stine. This was in 2002. I was 21 years old. Before then, I'd only read books for schoolwork and textbooks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I remember the first book I read, but it was indeed a children's book. I have zero idea about the first book I bought and read?

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember what it was called, but I do remember it was about ancient Egyptian mummies and how they were made. I was like....6 or 7. I actually hated reading before my mom made me read about Egypt and I've been an avid reader since.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Heck if I know. I remember the first book I read myself was a version of Goldilocks and The Three Bears. The first chapter book I read was a Sweet Valley Twins chapter book. The first YA book I read was Tamora Pierce's Wild Magic series. But the first book I bought for myself? No idea. I was already too in love with books to make note of it being a special occasion.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I know, it would have been from a Hardy Boys knock-off series called The Three Investigators. Each book ended with the team debriefing Alfred Hitchcock about the cases. I think I got a box set of the first three books as a gift, and loved them so much I bought the others as I was able to. I was about 10 (Incidentally, I couldn't read until I was about 8 or 9).

The cool thing is my dad is mentoring kids in reading, and somehow came across the series and is reading them with the kids, and he and I discuss them too. It's amazing how much of the stories I remember after 40 years and thousands of other books read in between!

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Wahhh! I loved the Three Investigators... and Trixie Belden...

I think the first books I really remember buying were a stack of Nancy Drews. They were the 1980's rewrites, and I was so confused when I got them home as to why the titles were familiar, but the stories were totally different from the ones I'd checked out at the library.

About the same time, I think I acquired Baby Island (because I was a sucker for stranded-on-an-island stories) and The Little Princess/The Secret Garden (because I loved FHB). Baby Island, I bought for the cover. The Nancy Drews and the FHB's, I bought because I loved them from reading them at the library, enough to want to buy my own copies.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. I didn't have to buy it because my mom worked at the library, but remember reading Book of Three and absolutely needing to continue with the series. Maybe in 3rd or 4th grade. I had already seen Black Cauldron but like a lot of Reagan Babies had a hazy memory of it. The series did not disappoint in the slightest, nor did it when I went back as an adult to reappraise it.

I read The Hobbit around the same time, and was and forever am a huge Tolkien fan. But the Prydain series will always be special, it's plainspoken and yet subversive, and all the characters are complex and surprisingly angsty. And Princess Eilonwy, not the protagonist but given a lot of screen time, was one of the earlier example I can think of of the 'strong female character' in kidslit. She was a boss.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
First one I bought on my own? Yeesh, I cannot remember that far back.

I do remember reading the Choose Your Own Adventure junior book about building your own robot. And then there was Mail-Order Wings, which was a favorite because the girl got to fly. (Always thought the end was a bit of a letdown, though. I mean... wings, for cryin' out loud!) I may or may not have gotten that through one of those Scholastic Book Fairs.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Lemony Snicket's All the Wrong Questions. A prequel to A Series of Unfortunate Events. I remember it being outside and just waiting on a chair for my dad to come inside with the package. I felt so grown up.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
No idea. We spent a lot of time at the library when I was small, and as I grew I often got books for gifts. By high school I was hoarding lunch money to buy paperbacks, but I can't even guess where I started. It was a while ago. :)

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
This thread mainlined me straight into an ecstatic reverie. Oh, sweet memories of Scholastic book fairs in elementary school!

And the book club? Pouring over the form, agonizing over selections, filling it out and giving it to the teacher... and then the long, delicious wait... and the day they'd arrive! Grubby hands cracking open new books, kids chattering, teacher trying to marshal us all into the next construction paper and Elmer's glue project but no because BOOKS! (My picks usually had horses in them.)

I just spent ten minutes trying to find images of Scholastic Book Club order forms from a certain decade in the previous century. Oh, the magic!

eta: Omg I bought this book back then

3038456533_c92e066c8d_z.jpg

AHHHHHHHHHHH *collapses in a puddle of nostalgia*

Last edited:

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I'd read a lot in our local library and from my Granddad's bookcase before I bought books for myself. Apart from comics, the first actual book I bought was a paperback of Where Eagles Dare by Alistair MacLean, sometime around 1968 when I was ten, after seeing the movie. The next one after that was probably The Ipcress File by Len Deighton, because I was on a spy kick in the late '60s

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We got most of our books from the library and I got some as gifts. Was required to save my allowance, not spend it, so purchases were few. I did buy a few of the Scholastic books: Incredible Tales by Saki (which I still have and recommend) and Jade Snow Wong's autobiography, which I gave to the local elementary school when I left home (I recommend it too).

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
Oh, I wish I knew what the first book was I bought myself! I only remember I was a kid, lol.

I'm going to ask my mom.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I used to love my Golden Books, especially the one about dinosaurs.

th

Heh, check out the price! 25 cents!!

And on the inside cover: This book belongs to... norman
(coz I didn't know how to write capital letters lol)

And yeah, the book club picks at school were one of the most magical times of my childhood. It’s weird, all of us here have similar memories about stuff like that but hardly anyone I know IRL gives a shit.

When I was 17 I started to keep a record of every book I ever read and it’s become a kind of secret diary because I can remember a lot of what I was doing at the time I was reading some of those stories, e.g. a particular holiday or reading on the veranda or weather etc, which allows me to access memories that those book lists trigger. None of which helps me to remember the first book I read or the first book I bought, since that predated my records. I was too young, books have always been part of my life as far back as I can remember.

----------------

ETA. A memory has leached into my mind. I remember my mum telling me that my first book may have been:

md517796343.jpg

OMFG how cute is he?!

I remember that book and almost remember my love for it. Just looking at that cover that I haven't thought about in at least forty years...

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember because when I was a kid/teen I used to get books from the school library and the library in town. I'm not sure I bought any books with my own money until I was in my 20s.

Regarding books we didn't have to read at school, I've always read books outside of school anyway, but in secondary school one of my friends was in a different English set to me and so had different set texts to read and a couple of times I read the set text for her class, just because the books looked good. She thought I was insane for doing that. I'm trying to remember which books they were now. Books I remember reading from the school library that I didn't have to read included "I am David" by Anne Holm, "Brother in the Land" by Robert Swindells and "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. I can't remember if any of those were set texts for my friend's English class. I just remembered one of her set texts - a book called "Buddy" - I just googled to try and find who wrote it, I think it's by Nigel Hinton but can't be 100% certain I'm not confusing it with another book. The Wikipedia page says it's often used in Britain and Ireland as a set text in English so that adds to the probability that it was this book. I can't remember enough of the plot to tell from reading the plot summary on Wikipedia. *facepalm*

The first adult fiction book I read was probably a Stephen King. I think the first Stephen King I read was Firestarter. I can't remember whether I bought myself any Stephen Kings. Unless it counts as buying it if you get a book token for your birthday/Christmas, in which case I'd have no idea what the first book I bought was. Probably would've been an Asterix book (been collecting them since I was six).

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
The first adult fiction book I read was probably a Stephen King. I think the first Stephen King I read was Firestarter. I can't remember whether I bought myself any Stephen Kings. Unless it counts as buying it if you get a book token for your birthday/Christmas, in which case I'd have no idea what the first book I bought was. Probably would've been an Asterix book (been collecting them since I was six).

I believe the first novel I read that I actually finished was a Stephen King book. At least it is the first one I remember reading.

insolentlad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
insolentlad.com
Though I read loads of supposedly 'adult' books from the library or my folks' book shelves, I strongly suspect the first I bought for myself was an Edgar Rice Burroughs title. Which ERB I couldn't begin to say, but I eventually bought all that were available.

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes. My first book was "The Merchant of Death" by D.J. MacHale. First book in the Pendragon series. It was actually the hardcover two-in-one edition that included the second book "The lost city of Faar". I remember being in the bookstore with my mom and begging her to buy it for me, having already read book one via a friend from school who loaned it to me. Good times:)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like others, I'm not entirely certain what book I first purchased for myself, but chances are good it was Scott O'Dell's The Island of the Blue Dolphins. Talk about a kick-ass heroine.

Gang aft agley

defunct human bean
Registered
Reaction score
The first book I remember reading for pleasure (didn't purchase it, checked it out from my English teachers wall-o-books) was The White Mountains by John Christopher when I was ten. That trilogy started my love affair with science fiction and was a gateway drug into the seedy underworld of fantasy too.

First book I purchased? Not really sure, but I do remember buying Imajica by Clive Barker at a yard sale when I was fifteen. That was triiipppppyy. Matter of fact, I may have to add that to my reread list. Thanks for this thread :)

Last edited: