Mood Wheel

Drew Snider

One Iota of Aesthetic Distance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fullstoryhollow.com
RULES

• Roll a 20 sided die. (A 6 sided die will work; roll it 3 times and add 2 to your total.)
  • Pick a mood from the list.
  • Create a dramatic post explaining your actions from the previous hour.
  • Word Limit: 500

MOOD WHEEL

1. Gorilla Panic
  2. Alert
  3. Excited
  4. Elated
  5. Happy
  6. Vibing
  7. Contented
  8. Serene
  9. Relaxed
  10. Calm
  11. Dozing
  12. Fatigued
  13. Bored
  14. Depressed
  15. Sad
  16. Rude
  17. Upset
  18. Stressed
  19. Nervous
  20. Tense

Credit: I took a list from "Quantified Self" and modified it for my own purposes. Here is the web address of the original list: https://quantifiedself.com/blog/how-to-measure-mood-using-quantified-self-tools/

Drew Snider

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fullstoryhollow.com
MY ROLL: 18 / STRESSED

"Easy day, Gents. Easy day." That's what my platoon sergeant used to say. Going for a run? "Easy day, Gents." Patrol time? "Easy day." I met up with my dad early this morning. We were supposed to hit the streets, pound the pavement, sweat it out by running a couple miles.

"Easy Day."

Let's make one thing clear: We did run. We hit that pavement and pounded those streets. The old man's come a long way, and I'm proud of him when we get back to his house and fire up the french press, burping and stretching like two past-prime coyotes at a food court. Someone's heart might give out, but it won't be his.

There's only one thing I can't stand. It shouldn't happen. The mere act of talking about it drives me up the wall, clammy skin, pupils like pin pricks before my morning shower, but it can't be helped. Breakfast burritos. They look like rolled up paper towels, and when you're sweating and wiping your glasses, you might need a paper towel. You might accidentally grab a burrito and wipe it all over your glasses because your calves are burning like the oil lamps in Kandahar Province. It's not your fault. Your hands don't feel as much as they used to, and the burrito felt like a paper towel when you wiped the countertop with it; of course it was going to feel like a paper towel when you wrapped it around your spectacles.

"Easy day, Gents. Easy Day."

Drew Snider

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fullstoryhollow.com
MY ROLL: 3 / EXCITED

Okay, so... I don't want to say this too loud. Not too long ago, I went and opened the fridge. It's full of fruit. We all know this. That's not the point. I could have grabbed a strawberry, but no...
You know what I had? Yeah, you guessed it. Only the best thing in the whole house. It was shiny, ripe, full of juice, and I gobbled that thing right down! An Apple! No hesitation! Wash it; peel it; on the counter, slice 'em, stack 'em; chomp 'em down.
Show me somebody who has a grapefruit in the morning, and I'll show you someone who isn't happy. You know what they need? An apple!
What's easier than flowing asyndeton? Apples! What do you call a talkative fruit? A yapple. What is the quality of this post? Probably crapple, but I don't care! You know why? Because I have my apple, and with my apple at my side nothing can get me down.

Drew Snider

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fullstoryhollow.com
[Just as a reminder, this is a writing exercise. I may be putting a lot of myself into this post, but it's not a cry for help... unless you can cure the common cold. Again, this is just a warm-up exercise. Much love, Drew]

MY ROLL: 14 / DEPRESSED

Internal sickness is part of my life. External sickness makes it worse. You can fight an external sickness. So far, with antibiotics and sheer stubbornness, I've managed to beat external sickness every time.

That doesn't make it my friend.

Getting externally sick can pull shutters down. The inside blows. There's no party in here. When I get sick, it makes me want to destroy everything I've built. Who cares whether I'm a natural storyteller or not, whether I'm meant to use this opportunity, it's meant to use me, or we're meant to use each other? Being sick makes me question myself. The problem is, nothing is worse than it was when I was healthy. I'm sick all the time. You might say sickness is my norm, the background of my life, like a charcoal painting I'm dueling with my eraser. Long live the white space (let's call it what it is: negative space). Negative space is my breathing room. I erase parts of myself, breathe, and the white space turns sour. It becomes negative space, and I let myself fill it up, just to have something to do with it.

This whole sickness mess makes it easy to cut people out. I become a hero by saving other people. Shut them out, spare them, and (of course) earn a little reward. With them gone, I am isolated. I can write. I can feed this pride machine. If pride is good at anything, it is good at keeping me going. It keeps me writing. It makes me feel like I'm going places others are too scared to travel. Well, I might be going places mentally, but does that mean I should? I'm able to think up a story and follow it to completion, but does that mean it's a story worth telling? Is the story just for me?

This is the problem with being sick. I sneeze, I sniffle, I cough, and I feel the burning fever behind my eyeballs. It sucks, and I want to leave it on the page. I want to empty it out of myself, the way I empty myself into my stories. I want to feel like I have no more words and no more sickness. But the sickness remains. This sneezing has lasted a week. The coughing just started. How long will I be sick? How long have I really been sick? It's hard to tell, when the only noticeable change I see is the fact that I take Alka-Seltzer and Mucinex on top of the pills from the shrink. This sickness will pass. I will be back at it again, and I will be content... because when I'm physically well, my SSRI's aren't haywire, and I won't be writing shit like this.

Mister Cold, you are my devil's advocate. Mister Cough, you are the bringer of codeine, the mad chemist who ruins my equilibrium. Mister Bacteria, I command you to wait until I'm in an old folks home. Mister Writer, you little human sleeping in my brain, I need you to wake up, dust it off, and ignore the black goop at your feet. It's all good.