Poem for children advice

Lou Trent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lou-trent.com
I have been asked by a friend to write a poem for his ten year old niece about a birthday gift. I have accepted even though I really struggle writing for children. I have written one but I've no idea if it is suitable so I've decided I should do some research by reading popular poems for children of about that age. The trouble is that I have no idea what is currently popular for children and the only other friend who has a child of that age doesn't read and nor does her son. The poem itself is a gift so I don't want to go to her parents to ask them what they think and the reason I was asked to do it is because my friend is not a big reader and hasn't written poetry since school. Does anyone know any currently popular poems aimed at children of this little girls age? Anything would be appreciated as I feel so far out of my depth than I'm in danger of drowning.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to write a poem for his ten year old niece about a birthday gift. I have accepted even though I really struggle writing for children. I have written one but I've no idea if it is suitable so I've decided I should do some research by reading popular poems for children of about that age. The trouble is that I have no idea what is currently popular for children and the only other friend who has a child of that age doesn't read and nor does her son. The poem itself is a gift so I don't want to go to her parents to ask them what they think and the reason I was asked to do it is because my friend is not a big reader and hasn't written poetry since school. Does anyone know any currently popular poems aimed at children of this little girls age? Anything would be appreciated as I feel so far out of my depth than I'm in danger of drowning.

I can't help except to say this is where librarians and bookshop owners really come into their own. Good luck with it. I'd be interested to see the recommendations :)

ETA: I know three-year-olds can't get enough of Billy Collins... ;)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Some more contemporary than others:

Chris Harris
Adam Rex
Calef Brown
Odgen Nash
Joyce Sidman
Naomi Nye
Hope Smith

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Matt Haig's Truth Pixie books are in rhyme and very popular at the moment.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
JACK PRELUTSKY
"The frogs wore red suspenders, and the pigs wore purple pants . . ."