• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Digestible

Dr. Jerry

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that it's easier to tell yourself "I'm going to write 500 words twice today" instead of "I'm going to write 1000 words today"?

I know it's a simple mental strategy, breaking things into smaller more digestible pieces, but for me it seems to work. I learned this from running on a treadmill. If I was going for a forty minute run and checked the clock to see that only ten minutes had passed and I was already tired the remaining thirty minutes would seem incredibly daunting. Instead what I would do is break the run into segments. I'd listen to some songs for a set fifteen minutes, then watch a TV show for a set fifteen minutes, etc. When I would check the time my brain, even though I knew I was doing a forty minute run, still looked at the end of each segment like a finish point and this motivated me to keep going.

Sometimes writing flows and before you know it you've written a ton but when it becomes hard and feels more like work I've found this to be an effective strategy.

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
I do this when I'm brainstorming. Rather than stare at a page and internally tear myself to pieces because I can't think of a solution to the problem I've set up, I do that for a set amount of time—10, 15 minutes, 3 songs on Spotify, until my tea is done, etc.—then do something else. When I was a kid I called it "striping activities." (Yup, I used the word activities. I didn't get out much) I find during the other activities my brain gets going again. Well, most of the time.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
I have not done this, but I definitely want to give this a try. I used to be able to write 1,000+ words per day, but I feel like the better I get at writing, the less words I can actually get down in a day. Most days, I'm lucky if I reach 500 words. I'm wondering if writing multiple times per day will help me increase that.

Thorberta

Not a squirrel, but close.
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely like cutting my writing up into digestible pieces. Let's say my goal for the day is 1000 words (I'm okay with that for an overall goal) I'll take a piece of paper and write 1-10 on it for each hundred words. I'll write in bursts (depending how I'm feeling I'll set a small goal like 'write at least 100 words' or 'write for 5 min straight') and as I go cross out the number so I can see my progress and even if I don't make the whole goal I have tangible proof that I did make progress.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Usually, my goal is 4,000 words a day. (I can write more than that, up to 10,000, if I really want to) but I don't do those 4,000 words in one sitting.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what? 4k words per day!! How long? Of what quality? I've never heard of anyone having that kind of production before!

4000 wpd runs to about seven densely paragraphed, single-spaced pages at 12 pt. Times New Roman with 1.25 inch margins. It's far from being a totally impossible output for some writers. But, each person's individual working pace is so unique that I suggest you don't use it as a measure of what you "should" be doing.

I don't use wordcounts myself, because I find it's a false target. It won't make me more or less happy with a scene, and it doesn't help to count something I may not keep in the manuscript anyway. I prefer to gain something substantial in a day's work: a piece of dialogue that developed well; a scene that picked up some emotional impact; or a character blossoming in unexpected ways. If I complete a whole scene and one or more of those things happened, I feel good about it. If I finish a chapter, and it has a "good" feeling on re-reading, then that's satisfying too.

Last edited: