Crime / Suspense with a literary bent

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm normally more of a fantasy or historical fiction kind of bloke, but I've been dabbling with the crime genre recently. I recently read 'His bloody project' by Graeme Macrae Burnet and loved it. I tried a few fast-paced page-turners after that but they don't do anything for me. I was wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for a decent, recently-written crime or suspense novel which is character driven and has beautiful prose that jumps off the page. Or, at least, authors I should be looking at?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ed

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Both French and Islandic noir are pretty much holding me in thrall right now for Crime/Suspense. You might try Blood Wedding by Pierre Lemaitre or Climate of Fear by Fred Vargas.

For Mystery/Suspense, two of my favorites are The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and, of course, Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier.

Beyond that, pretty much anything by Tana French. The Likeness is very good, in my opinion.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not recent, but otherwise so thoroughly fits your bill: Patricia Highsmith. I'd start with Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr Ripley.

:e2coffee:

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lakey and Ari - I'll have an Amazon-browse!

Ed

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger and also Fingersmith
Emma Flint's Little Deaths
Iain Reid's I'm Thinking of Ending Things

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Cbenoi1 & pdichellis - very much appreciated.

Ed

NikkiArcher

Registered
Reaction score
Tana French is an Irish writer who works exclusively in crime/suspense and is incredibly artful in her delivery. Her books work well standalone but have a chronological through-line and some common characters so it might be worthwhile to begin with her first and read them in order.

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
I second Ari's suggestion of Pierre Lemaitre's books. Irene, which is part of a trilogy, is simply amazing and has one of the best twists I've ever seen in literature. He's also a well-respected screenwriter, so his work is both literary and very cinematic in nature. Good stuff.