With all due respect - too many sticky's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I often ask myself why do I not visit this site more often and it hit me last week and I'm finally stating it out loud. There are way too many stickies all over this board. Much of the information is outdated and could be merged into one or two main posts. I feel the stickies clutter this board (and others on AW) to the point where I just log off in frustration. Seriously, with all due respect it's time to clean this place up.

Respectfully,
Splendor

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Splendor,

Your reason for not visiting the site more often just doesn't make sense.

The answer is very simple. Stickies are a tiny part of this board's content and if a stickie heading is not relevant to what you're looking for -don't bother reading the thread.

And most members contribute a lot more than they take from this site.

:Hug2:

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I often ask myself why do I not visit this site more often and it hit me last week and I'm finally stating it out loud. There are way too many stickies all over this board. Much of the information is outdated and could be merged into one or two main posts. I feel the stickies clutter this board (and others on AW) to the point where I just log off in frustration. Seriously, with all due respect it's time to clean this place up.

Respectfully,
Splendor

Bless your heart.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thing is, those stickies are there to keep the pests out. :evil

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
You say that, but I've been stuck inside this pentagram of stickies for millennia

šŸ˜‚
I couldnā€™t tell if was the stickies or the salt rings.

TheListener

Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest scrolling on by. I have no problem with it and I'm still new. Read them once then don't bother again but remember that new people come onto the boards everyday and they haven't read them yet. Maybe some are outdated or can be merged but that is for the AW to decide. Until then, scroll, scroll, scroll. :Soapbox:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Needs more stickies!

:greenie

(but seriously, Iā€™m the contrarian opposite opinion of OP, as I find most all of the stickies useful references to review...perhaps thatā€™s due to the parts of the forum I spend most of my time in, like QLH and such)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
To be fair to the OP, looking at the stickies in the section this was posted in, there are at least several threads that could probably use a pruning unless backend stats shows them being more useful than they look. Like, is the weekly prompts thread that hasn't been updated since 2013 still being useful? The Party Dirigible thread since 2014? Most of them still seem beneficial, but there are a few that definitely seem past their prime.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're paying attention, you'll notice the forum mods are absentee mods.

I'll get to the stickies when I can. This doesn't strike me as something that has particular urgency, while my day job does.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
But since we're all here, anyone wanna play in the bouncy castle?

(but srsly, this is a great, underrated room)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest scrolling on by. I have no problem with it and I'm still new. Read them once then don't bother again but remember that new people come onto the boards everyday and they haven't read them yet. Maybe some are outdated or can be merged but that is for the AW to decide. Until then, scroll, scroll, scroll. :Soapbox:

Thank you, TheListener. New members do come on board every day and those stickies are meant to be helpful signposts for the rooms. Stickies aren't just rules, they're also great guides to the personalities of the rooms for anyone paying attention. (They're also not all that easy to write sometimes. just sayin')

And for us oldies, the room stickies together with the ever-so-elegant FAQs can be helpful quick reference guides as refreshers.

I do thank the OP, though, for the reminder that I should take a look at mine more often to see if they need updating, clarifying, or replacing.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite posts. It's in 'Teh Super-Secret Hidden Room'
so few stickies? what do i do? what do I not do?

I'm not sure if i'm allowed in here. I'm not even sure I understand what this place is.

Do I get reps for finding it?

Am I a mod now?

Will I be banned? (Please no)

You realize, without at the very least an FAQ sticky or link, there is the danger of DR's (distinguished roaders) like me wandering in and acting malapropriate.

AW is relatively new to me. It appears so far to be fantastic. I've only posted 62 times so far. I hope this isn't my last
Still makes me chuckle.

Last edited:

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I just wish those stickies would go back where they came from. If they don't like it here, why don't they just leave?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I just wish those stickies would go back where they came from. If they don't like it here, why don't they just leave?

Especially when they don't adhere to the rules.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Because they're our stickies.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
So...you're saying the stickies move at night?

*gasps*
*bites nails*

Also, while we're on stickies, is there one somewhere about abuse of mod power on poor innocent little avies of writers who absolutely positively did not just poke a giant fork, twice, into a toaster? Asking for a friend.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
To be fair to the OP, looking at the stickies in the section this was posted in, there are at least several threads that could probably use a pruning unless backend stats shows them being more useful than they look. Like, is the weekly prompts thread that hasn't been updated since 2013 still being useful? The Party Dirigible thread since 2014? Most of them still seem beneficial, but there are a few that definitely seem past their prime.
Thank you.

If you're paying attention, you'll notice the forum mods are absentee mods.

I'll get to the stickies when I can. This doesn't strike me as something that has particular urgency, while my day job does.
Yes I understand and as a Mod you're always very graceful in my interactions with you in this section.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
This is an important topic. The mods should consider making it a sticky.

Dianee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you here. As a fairly new user, I have found all the stickies a bit confusing (and some outdated). I also understand that someone needs to sort and delete them and it's understandably not a priority. Diane

Status
Not open for further replies.