Removing RT from the Google News feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The Russian invasion. It has started.

For the past month or so I've seen a sharp increase in the number of RT articles being proposed by Google News and on the main Google page. The problem is that it doesn't matter if I clean up the data and the cookies, reset my activities, freeze my history, and whatnot. On every platform I have an account on. Flagging RT articles as inapropriate doesn't work. The same articles keep coming back. Every hour of every day to the point that now it takes up 20% of my news feed.

Is there a way to tell Google I want none of that RT crap?

In the same vein, is there a way to tell Google I have no interest in horoscopes, much less those that date two weeks prior?

Thanks.

-cb

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Lol. Apparently my phone thinks I'm obsessed with Teen Mom, or whatever it's called. Really? I've never even heard of the show until it started popping up, and frankly, no offense, I think it's disgusting.

Technology. Psh.

Last edited:

PostHuman

Registered
Reaction score
Tried unsuccessfully to help my mom and dad remove RT from their youtube suggestions on Roku last year. Every time I visit I see all these ridiculous conspiracy documentaries running on youtube autoplay

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In Google News at least, they make it easy to edit sources out of your news feed. There will be a little button near the headline (location differs between one OS and another -- on my Mac desktop, where I am right now, it's a small 3-dot "More" button that is only visible when you mouse over the headline) that, when you click it, brings up some options. One of these will be "Hide all stories from <source>". Click that. You won't see stories from <source> in your news feed anymore. It really works -- I haven't seen anything in my feed from Fox News, RT, or a number of other unwanted places in a very long time.

I'm not sure, though, if there's anything equivalent for Google's search results or for YouTube.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Wish it worked better on Yahoo news. Even when I tell 'em to no longer show me BS from crap like the Daily Caller, it'll work for a few months, then sneak right back in... :(

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, though, if there's anything equivalent for Google's search results or for YouTube.

Would love to get Fox News stories out of my Youtube feed, not sure I should expect a feature to do that soon.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I use Feedly. It only displays the sources you add to it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Applies to family gatherings and most IRL situations as well.

Wouldn't that be nice?

I still use Mozilla as my browser, (I've hated Chrome ever since it got rid of menu bars) and it always lists suggested articles via a system called "pocket." For the longest time it kept offering Babbel language courses, though I've never clicked them and have no interest. I finally figured out how to turn off "sponsored" content (i.e. ads posing as articles).

Now if I could understand how their "recommended by pocket" thing works. At least they haven't been tossing Russian news or Fox crap at me, but they seem to oscillate between stories about the habits of highly effective people telling me how to become more productive and become the kind of person who gets up at 4 AM every day, then recommending stories about how we're too stressed and success focused as a society and need to relax more and embrace the Danish tradition of doing nothing. I also don't get the pocket comments section, which always consists of people simply posting long quotes from the articles. At least it's not like the usual toxic crap that makes it into comments sections.

Speaking of ads posing as articles, has anyone ever learned which vegetable leading gut doctors are begging us to throw out, which simple food is like a pressure wash for our insides, and the five simple ways our cats ask us for help? The world is dying to know.

Last edited:

DMcCunney

Registered
Reaction score
I still use Mozilla as my browser, (I've hated Chrome ever since it got rid of menu bars) and it always lists suggested articles via a system called "pocket." For the longest time it kept offering Babbel language courses, though I've never clicked them and have no interest. I finally figured out how to turn off "sponsored" content (i.e. ads posing as articles).

Now if I could understand how their "recommended by pocket" thing works. At least they haven't been tossing Russian news or Fox crap at me, but they seem to oscillate between stories about the habits of highly effective people telling me how to become more productive and become the kind of person who gets up at 4 AM every day, then recommending stories about how we're too stressed and success focused as a society and need to relax more and embrace the Danish tradition of doing nothing. I also don't get the pocket comments section, which always consists of people simply posting long quotes from the articles. At least it's not like the usual toxic crap that makes it into comments sections.
I've been using Mozilla code since it was still the code name of an internal Netscape Communications effort to create the next generation browser suite to replace the venerable Netscap Communicator 4.

Pocket is a "save it to read later" service Mozilla bought a while back and incorporated into Firefox. "Recommended by Pocket" shows URLs other folks have saved to Pocket.

I never see it. The question is what you use as your Home page in FF. Go to Options/Home, and you get a list of things FF can display on your Home page. Uncheck Pocket.

What I use for the Homepage in FF is an extension called Group Speed Dial. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/groupspeeddial/) It creates a customizable page with entries for sites you frequently use, with a tabbed interface. I have tabs for Main, Web Commics, Social/News, eBooks and a few other things. Takes a bit of setup, but works fine once configured.
______
Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.