How Many Books Have You Read This Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I had a thirty-day subscription to Kindle Unlimited and in one month, I've read six books.
What about you?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a slow reader since I get distracted a lot. I guess 4, maybe?

But, wow, you read fast.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This month so far? About seven, though two were graphic novels. (Seven and a half, if you count the one I'm in the middle of right now.) I expect I'll finish one or two more before August.

This year so far? About 67, according to my review records.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
61 this year, but the last few months have slowed down for reading

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
71. I get two hours of reading a day on my commute, and I'm in two book clubs.

There are people on Goodreads who read a THOUSAND a year. I assume a lot of those are novellas but still, whoa.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw: All of you, seriously. How do you find the time?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
According to Goodreads I’ve read 30 books so far this year. My original goal was 52 and I’m a bit ahead of the pace. I’ve also read about 55 short stories, documented in the short story thread (linked in my signature).

All of you, seriously. How do you find the time?

One answer for me is audiobooks, which account for about 2/3 of my reading — I listen during my commute, while exercising, while doing chores, when I feel like reading by my eyes are too tired.... I really love them.

The other answer is that reading is so important to me — it helps my writing immeasurably, so I prioritize it. With my day job and other taxes on my mental bandwidth, I don’t write anywhere near every day. But I do read (or listen) every day.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
All of you, seriously. How do you find the time?

As the saying goes, if it's important enough to you, you make the time.

Like Lakey said: prioritize reading if it matters to you as a writer. (And, of course, if you ultimately enjoy it.) Reading's a relatively low-cost leisure option that generates minimal waste and frustration. You don't have to drive anywhere to read. You don't have to buy special equipment or pay for a subscription to read. You can start and stop at will.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
71. I get two hours of reading a day on my commute, and I'm in two book clubs.

There are people on Goodreads who read a THOUSAND a year. I assume a lot of those are novellas but still, whoa.

WOW! How could anyone have a life outside of reading if they burn through 1,000 books a year.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
As the saying goes, if it's important enough to you, you make the time.

Like Lakey said: prioritize reading if it matters to you as a writer. (And, of course, if you ultimately enjoy it.) Reading's a relatively low-cost leisure option that generates minimal waste and frustration. You don't have to drive anywhere to read. You don't have to buy special equipment or pay for a subscription to read. You can start and stop at will.

This is a great post and one I can relate to. I always used to say that I wanted to read more but I just never had the time. Then I decided to make it a priority and all of a sudden I was reading three books a month instead of three a year. The truth is we all have the same amount of time. Twenty four hours in a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, and we can't change the speed of it. What we prioritize will be how we choose to spend that time. Once I got into reading so much I found that spending time with a good book is one of life's great pleasures. Now I just have trouble deciding what to read next.

I also like the point about the cost. Books can be a terrific return on investment. And if you're budget is so tight you can't buy books there are thousands for free reads at the local library. Most libraries now offer books in audio and ebook form too.

Last edited:

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I read pretty quickly. I can read a 300-page e-book in two hours if I read it in one sitting. The last book I read took me two days because I am working on my own stuff. But yeah, and I am reading another book right now. I have about 3 ebooks in my computer I haven't read, and I'm reading one of them now. This one will take no time because it's only 165 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.