Domain and Wordpress

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I'm setting up my (free) website on WP.com and I was wondering, is it better to transfer my domain from GoDaddy or just map it from there? If I map it there's an extra $13 fee per year + the yearly fee from GoDaddy. Regardless of that, I do want to use the better option.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Both are good paths from what I can tell. I went strictly WP.com for the convenience of having one place relating to my domain.

I believe that if you go with WP.com it automatically keeps my address and so on private for the owner (us) so I don't have to deal with harassment from trolls. You WILL get them when you become popular.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I believe that if you go with WP.com it automatically keeps my address and so on private for the owner (us) so I don't have to deal with harassment from trolls. You WILL get them when you become popular.

Okay thanks. :)

I went on WP yesterday to set up my website and transfer my domain and apparently because I just bought it within the last week, I can't transfer it until mid-September, which I find a bit odd. I could just map it to WP and set up my site now, but I'm okay waiting. It made me decide on a bit later release date for my first book, but this way I can get everything else set up and ready to go by then. Plus, I don't want to pay the extra $13 when I renew over a couple months of waiting. lol

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Okay thanks. :)

I went on WP yesterday to set up my website and transfer my domain and apparently because I just bought it within the last week, I can't transfer it until mid-September, which I find a bit odd. I could just map it to WP and set up my site now, but I'm okay waiting. It made me decide on a bit later release date for my first book, but this way I can get everything else set up and ready to go by then. Plus, I don't want to pay the extra $13 when I renew over a couple months of waiting. lol

I wouldn't transfer your domain registration. It's not a great idea to host and register a domain at the same service.

It means, for instance, that they can hold your domain hostage if there's a billing dispute.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't transfer your domain registration. It's not a great idea to host and register a domain at the same service.

It means, for instance, that they can hold your domain hostage if there's a billing dispute.

Okay. Thanks.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
Can I still do a free website on WP.com if I map my domain from somewhere else? I ask because when I went to map it, WP sent me to the paid plans.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Can I still do a free website on WP.com if I map my domain from somewhere else? I ask because when I went to map it, WP sent me to the paid plans.

If you use the WordPress option to map to your domain, you need to pay a fee. I think it's $5.00 a month, billed annually. They will see yourdomain.com only.

If you redirect your domain name to wordpress.com via a non Wordpress registrar, it's usually free. They will be redirected from yourname.com to your wordpress.com site.

Were I you, I'd redirect via your non-wordpress registrar, until you start making money.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
If you redirect your domain name to wordpress.com via a non Wordpress registrar, it's usually free. They will be redirected from yourname.com to your wordpress.com site.

Were I you, I'd redirect via your non-wordpress registrar, until you start making money.

So, if I redirect it would be yourname.wordpress.com?