Entering Writing Contests as a Minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dom Perkins

The Idahoan Horror Writer
Registered
Reaction score
There's a small problem I need some advice on.

For the past eleven or ten years or so, I've written many essays and short stories as a child and adolescent. I can say confidently that my works have always been above par to those of my peers, for the most part, because I've won most local contests I've entered.

However, a problem arises when I want to enter an online contest for short fiction. You see, most contests require you to have a PayPal account. I've yet to see an online writing contest that direct deposits straight to checking accounts. I understand that using PayPal is probably easier and safer, although I'm no expert. But you have to be at least 18 to create a PayPal account, according to their rules, and I'm about a year and a half shy. And yes, I'm new to this sort of stuff, but I'm trying to find a way around this. So forgive my ignorance.

Now, there used to be a thing called student accounts, but I heard that they discontinued that. I might be wrong, though. I do know, however, that PayPal doesn't verify age, or at least not at first. In fact, I created a fake one to confirm and I immediately deleted it. As long as my checking account is valid, then they assume I'm of age, supposedly. But, I did hear that they will ask for verification once you have a total running value of $1000 in exchanges - this, again, is just a rumor so I don't know for sure. Of course, I doubt I'll ever rack up $1,000 dollars. At least, not before I'm 18, in which case I can just delete it and make a new one.

So, I might be able to create a PayPal and connect it to my checking account. Either way, it sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm interested in what your thoughts are, or if maybe there's a different way to work around this.

(Also, I have no idea if this is the right forum to for this thread. If not, feel free to move it)

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If the contests require that you have a valid Paypal account, then you cannot enter without having that valid account.

If Paypal requires you to be over 18 in order to open an account with them, and you are not yet 18, then you cannot legally open a Paypal account.

If you try to find a way round this, by opening an account and lying about your age, you are going to get into all sorts of problems.

If you want to do this right, then you cannot enter those competitions until you are 18. You just can't.

It's only a year and a half before you can get that Paypal account and start submitting. Instead of cheating and lying, spend that time working on your craft. Get better at writing, so that when you can enter those competitions you are at the top of your game.

Dom Perkins

Registered
Reaction score
If the contests require that you have a valid Paypal account, then you cannot enter without having that valid account.

If Paypal requires you to be over 18 in order to open an account with them, and you are not yet 18, then you cannot legally open a Paypal account.

If you try to find a way round this, by opening an account and lying about your age, you are going to get into all sorts of problems.

If you want to do this right, then you cannot enter those competitions until you are 18. You just can't.

It's only a year and a half before you can get that Paypal account and start submitting. Instead of cheating and lying, spend that time working on your craft. Get better at writing, so that when you can enter those competitions you are at the top of your game.

There is nothing illegal about it. Breaking a company's private policy does not equate breaking the law. Hell, I'm not even breaking my bank's policy. In fact, if they discover I'm a minor all they'll do is shut down my account - and any money in it will be withheld for 6 months before they transfer back to me. Worst case scenario, I'll just get banned indefinitely.

I'm looking for ways around this. Telling me to wait does not answer my question.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There is nothing illegal about it. Breaking a company's private policy does not equate breaking the law. Hell, I'm not even breaking my bank's policy. In fact, if they discover I'm a minor all they'll do is shut down my account - and any money in it will be withheld for 6 months before they transfer back to me. Worst case scenario, I'll just get banned indefinitely.

I'm looking for ways around this. Telling me to wait does not answer my question.

Mate, no one's going to help you to misrepresent yourself to PayPal. Have you looked at all their terms and conditions?

Dom Perkins

Registered
Reaction score
Mate, no one's going to help you to misrepresent yourself to PayPal. Have you looked at all their terms and conditions?

Yes, and I don't agree with their policies. If I could avoid PayPal altogether, I would. However, I don't set the terms of these online contests. And I don't see any other alternatives so far.

I'm not asking for anyone to help "misrepresent me to PayPal." I'm only looking for alternatives, and advice other than "just wait." For example, if anyone knows of any contests that don't require PayPal. Perhaps that's my fault for not clarifying. Because I've looked, and haven't found any good ones.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not asking for anyone to help "misrepresent me to PayPal."
Good to hear.

I'm only looking for alternatives, and advice other than "just wait." For example, if anyone knows of any contests that don't require PayPal. Perhaps that's my fault for not clarifying. Because I've looked, and haven't found any good ones.
If the contest itself doesn't have a minimum age limit, I would try contacting the organisers with your dilemma to see if they can offer an alternative.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When my kids were younger, we just used to round-robin with things like this. Is that an option? Have a trusted adult let you piggyback on their account? I mean if there's no age-limit for the contest itself.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of laws involved in opening bank accounts, credit card accounts, and yes, Paypal accounts, and many of those laws state that you have to be a certain age to have one of those accounts. These aren't policies that Paypal and the credit card companies have decided upon for themselves: they are laws.

Most of the reputable writing competitions I've seen say that you can't enter until you are at least eighteen.

Put these two factors together and you are doing yourself no favours trying to find a way round this issue.

If you can't meet the entry requirements for a competition, then you don't enter it. Simple.

I repeat my earlier advice: it's only a year and a half until you're eighteen. Spend that time becoming a better writer, rather than trying to weasel your way around the age limits in front of you.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the reputable writing competitions I've seen say that you can't enter until you are at least eighteen.
That's worth noting. If they expected under 18s, they'd have appropriate accessibility options in place - as well as protections.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

The result of that worst case scenario is that for the rest of your adult career you're going to hit payment issues. Overseas places will have to send you cheques, which are expensive to cash. Some will decide they don't want to do that and will only work with people who have PayPal accounts, much like these contests you want to enter. For the sake of being able to enter a contest this year, rather than waiting, you remove the chances of being able to enter that contest ever again.

You might want to be told how to lie to PayPal, but that's not what you need to hear. You'll struggle in the future if you don't have a PayPal account. It's not worth messing it up.

A better alternative is to forget contests and just submit to markets. Let them know you're a minor. They'll let you know if that's a problem. Do make sure you have an adult willing to sign things for you.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Dom, I sense a bit of rebellious frustration in the tone of your responses. I get it; at the moment you're underage and there's not a damn thing you can do about it . . . Well, actually there is--just keep living; you'll attain the magic age of eighteen soon enough. In the meantime, you can avail yourself of the sage wisdom offered here by those who have been there, done that--or not, your call.

One fact is undeniably clear; if you lie, you destroy your credibility at the outset of your writing career. That can precipitate a lifetime of regret.

I recommend you choose the path of honesty; for now, that only requires a little patience and a touch of restraint. After all, time is on your side.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There is nothing illegal about it.

Dude, it's called fraud.

Moreover, there are all sorts of potential legal issues about contests and publishing while a minor.

You can't legally sign any contract as a minor.

And while I sympathize with your frustration, I'm not sympathetic with your reaction.

As someone who published as a minor, I worked with my parents. That's the best suggestion I have for you, and I'm locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.