AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Entering Writing Contests as a Minor

Threaded View

The Idahoan Horror Writer Dom Perkins's Avatar

Question Entering Writing Contests as a Minor

There's a small problem I need some advice on.

For the past eleven or ten years or so, I've written many essays and short stories as a child and adolescent. I can say confidently that my works have always been above par to those of my peers, for the most part, because I've won most local contests I've entered.

However, a problem arises when I want to enter an online contest for short fiction. You see, most contests require you to have a PayPal account. I've yet to see an online writing contest that direct deposits straight to checking accounts. I understand that using PayPal is probably easier and safer, although I'm no expert. But you have to be at least 18 to create a PayPal account, according to their rules, and I'm about a year and a half shy. And yes, I'm new to this sort of stuff, but I'm trying to find a way around this. So forgive my ignorance.

Now, there used to be a thing called student accounts, but I heard that they discontinued that. I might be wrong, though. I do know, however, that PayPal doesn't verify age, or at least not at first. In fact, I created a fake one to confirm and I immediately deleted it. As long as my checking account is valid, then they assume I'm of age, supposedly. But, I did hear that they will ask for verification once you have a total running value of $1000 in exchanges - this, again, is just a rumor so I don't know for sure. Of course, I doubt I'll ever rack up $1,000 dollars. At least, not before I'm 18, in which case I can just delete it and make a new one.

So, I might be able to create a PayPal and connect it to my checking account. Either way, it sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm interested in what your thoughts are, or if maybe there's a different way to work around this.

(Also, I have no idea if this is the right forum to for this thread. If not, feel free to move it)
    Last edited by Dom Perkins; 07-22-2019 at 08:39 AM.