Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Normally I'd be the sort of person who was snarky and cynical about Amazon ordering Season 5 when Season 4 hasn't even aired yet, but since it's The Expanse, :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Bumping with a new trailer and a Tor.com review of the NYCC premiere of the first ep of S4.

Trailer Link on YouTube - spoiler-free, except insofar as knowing certain people are obviously still around, set to JFK's moonshot speech...

Review Link - fairly spoiler-free, especially if you've read the books and caught up with S1 - S3

So far, I'm getting good vibes.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I see that Amazon has added a Kevin Smith fanboying over the show and doing a previously on The Expanse.

I am probably a cheap date, but it made me laugh.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I see that Amazon has added a Kevin Smith fanboying over the show and doing a previously on The Expanse.

I am probably a cheap date, but it made me laugh.

YouTube link to Kevin Smith explaining The Expanse.

I saw that. Fun, though I think the rushed summary kinda missed the mark on some major plot points, and would confuse more than help anyone planning to jump in cold-turkey. (And... it's streaming, folks. This ain't like the old days where you had to wait for the benevolence of network reruns to catch up.)

Also: The real, actual, we-totally-mean-it-this-time final trailer for S4, with some more plot details.

Want... want now...

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m loving the series, and hoping they can massage book 4 — which was the weakest of them for me — appropriately.

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score
I’m loving the series, and hoping they can massage book 4 — which was the weakest of them for me — appropriately.

I actually couldn't read past book 1. It wasn't a bad book, but kind of lacked stakes for me...or something. Not sure. I enjoyed the show more than the one book. Do they get better? I'm a big fan of the UN ambassador lady, and I've heard she shows up in the books at some point.

I'm really curious to see what this new season brings, knowing nothing about the series past 1. I'm staying away from trailers as I'd prefer to experience it as it happens. I'm excited though. There's been more and more good SF/Fantasy shows on TV these past 10 years.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I actually couldn't read past book 1. It wasn't a bad book, but kind of lacked stakes for me...or something. Not sure. I enjoyed the show more than the one book. Do they get better? I'm a big fan of the UN ambassador lady, and I've heard she shows up in the books at some point.

I'm really curious to see what this new season brings, knowing nothing about the series past 1. I'm staying away from trailers as I'd prefer to experience it as it happens. I'm excited though. There's been more and more good SF/Fantasy shows on TV these past 10 years.

If you mean Chrisjen Avasalara, she was spliced in to the first season from Book 2 - and, yes, she does indeed have a strong recurring role in the books. I thought the books got stronger as the stakes raised with the opening of the ring gates and the increasing danger from the force/entity responsible for the extermination of the original protomolecule creators; this season looks like it gets into one of the main new conflicts, not just with the land rush to the new worlds but with the precarious position it puts the Belters in.

I like the tweaks they make in the storyline for the TV series, and generally prefer them, though I also enjoy the books; I consider them parallel universes.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the show more than the one book. Do they get better?

Not really. :tongue

They’re kind of the Kraft macaroni mix of dinners, only the box (the world building) is more savory than the contents (the characters). You make the meal so you can enjoy looking at the box while you swallow the macaroni without chewing.

The characters are fleshed out far better in the series.

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score
If you mean Chrisjen Avasalara, she was spliced in to the first season from Book 2 - and, yes, she does indeed have a strong recurring role in the books. I thought the books got stronger as the stakes raised with the opening of the ring gates and the increasing danger from the force/entity responsible for the extermination of the original protomolecule creators; this season looks like it gets into one of the main new conflicts, not just with the land rush to the new worlds but with the precarious position it puts the Belters in.

I like the tweaks they make in the storyline for the TV series, and generally prefer them, though I also enjoy the books; I consider them parallel universes.

Yeah her, she was my favorite! I like strong female leads who are more than just "great fighters." You don't see that often enough in stories, especially bigger mainstream stuff. But maybe I'm reading and watching the wrong stuff.

Parallel universes. That tends to be how I watch my book to TV/movie adaptations. If I don't, I'll go mad. I think the show did a better job with how and when parts of the story were shown. I can't remember exacts, but I remember when I started reading the book wondering why the author showed X at Y moment.

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score
Not really. :tongue

They’re kind of the Kraft macaroni mix of dinners, only the box (the world building) is more savory than the contents (the characters). You make the meal so you can enjoy looking at the box while you swallow the macaroni without chewing.

The characters are fleshed out far better in the series.

I suppose, as with anything, it comes down to taste, but that's about how I felt about book 1. It had some really cool elements, but the plot just seemed to stay at the same even level. Even when things 'ramped up,' I never felt a sense of danger or intensity. I never gave it much thought as to why, though. Might be an interesting exercise, but then I'd have to re-read the book... I'll leave that to someone else. :)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, as much as it embarrasses me to admit it, I love the book series but have yet to be grabbed by the TV show. Might give it another try in a season or two (personally woulda just skipped Cibola Burn if I was the showrunners, not that they can't make it work).

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, as much as it embarrasses me to admit it, I love the book series but have yet to be grabbed by the TV show. Might give it another try in a season or two (personally woulda just skipped Cibola Burn if I was the showrunners, not that they can't make it work).

Don't be embarrassed to like or not like what you like or don't like. They are different media, and different presentations, and we all have different tastes. Some like the book or the series, some like both, and some like neither.

(Though those who like neither are wrong, wrong, wrong! ;) J/K, of course... there are plenty of franchises out there I don't enjoy that others see as gospel. I'm personally rather sick of the endless Star Trek iterations, for instance.)

ALShades

Registered
Reaction score

I agree with Brightdreamer. Never be embarrassed by what you like or don't like. Unless, of course, I ever publish my book and you don't like it. You should very much be embarrassed by your refined tastes. :)

Out of curiosity, what did you like more from the books as opposed to the show? It sounds like we're kind of on opposite spectrums in that I prefer the show and you prefer the books.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Somewhat related, but the entire Expanse book series (so far) is part of today's (November 24th) Kindle deals, if anyone were looking to stock up and binge...

And fans of the show, take a look at the Expanse: Origins graphic novels, based on the show more than the books; the collected Kindle edition has a bonus origin story. Not on special today, but worth a read.

(Will not include the link, since it'll be obsolete in a day anyway - go to Amazon through the link at the top of AW, give this site some click-throughs.)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, thanks folks, I'm actually not *that* embarassed, just trying to be a more responsible contrarian.

I'm not sure what it is about the show that hasn't wowed me yet, tbh I think I just haven't sat down this it long enough. I suspect I'll be glutting it in two years or so when the hit the 'old Holden' phase

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is about the show that hasn't wowed me yet, tbh I think I just haven't sat down this it long enough.

Maybe. For me, it's the interaction between the characters. Much better developed IMO than the books, where most of the characters seemed a bit shallow or flat to me.

I particularly love how the actor Wes Chatham portrays Amos -- it's "more Amos than Amos", down to every little deadpan twitch and quirk.

Thomas Jane also does far better at fleshing out Detective Miller than the books did, IMO -- I credit both his performance and the writing here.

Shohreh Aghdashloo is just superb as Chrisjen Avasarala, one of my favorite characters from the book.

All of the cast, really, are good. But if it hasn't grabbed you, it's just not your thing. We forgive you. :Shrug: :ROFL:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maybe. For me, it's the interaction between the characters. Much better developed IMO than the books, where most of the characters seemed a bit shallow or flat to me.

I particularly love how the actor Wes Chatham portrays Amos -- it's "more Amos than Amos", down to every little deadpan twitch and quirk.

Thomas Jane also does far better at fleshing out Detective Miller than the books did, IMO -- I credit both his performance and the writing here.

Shohreh Aghdashloo is just superb as Chrisjen Avasarala, one of my favorite characters from the book.

All of the cast, really, are good. But if it hasn't grabbed you, it's just not your thing. We forgive you. :Shrug: :ROFL:

I believe some of that comes from interaction with actors and other writers, particularly people used to visual media that is, by necessity, driven more by character portrayal and dialog than a written POV; the characters in the books can be a little flat at times, but I find the overall story interesting enough to make up for it, and the politics are very astute and relevant. (There's also a bit of that "second bite at the apple" when you adapt a book, I think, allowing one to make minor adjustments in light of later material.) Though, as I said, I consider that each version works well in its own medium, IMHO.

Amazon just informed me that my pre-order of The Art and Making of The Expanse has shipped, due Tuesday (which probably means Wednesday, because Amazon is almost always a day late anymore... and we live within proverbial spitting distance of both Amazon HQ and a major warehouse, so there's really no excuse.) Anyone else pre-order? I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

--

ETA: I finished reading the book. Nice visual compendium of various aspects of the show (though I think I found an error on Page 12: I rewatched the scene, and I'm pretty darned sure it was Holden, not Amos, erasing the Roci's markings in S3 Ep 1 when they hear that Earth and Mars declare war. I mean, we just saw Amos and Alex go in and have their argument in the airlock while Holden lingers outside and gets the wristpad alert before he starts sweeping the hull markings, so unless Amos was really quick about suiting back up and cycling the lock... plus the build looks more like Strait than Chatham... but I could be wrong. Probably am.) I would've liked a few more interviews and articles about the thought processes, development, and actual concept-to-reality translation, but I usually do in these books. Worth the money to me, at least.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Probably everybody on this thread is already aware, but...

Season 4 is up.

Just saw that...

And I have early start at work tomorrow, so I can only get an episode or two in before I have to go to bed - and this weekend I'll have to sneak shows during drying breaks on my stubborn holiday projects.

Rarely have I felt such a mixture of elation and frustration...

--

ETA: I watched the first episode tonight (all I can manage due to aforementioned Other Things).

Spoiler-free initial thoughts:

- There is a definite shift in this season. Higher FX budget, different overall "look," slower pacing (so far) with a more cinematic feel, longer episode run times, plus a larger sense of scale in some ways; we see Mars and it's not just domes or a valley, but huge shipyards and commuter corridors and apartments and bars, for instance. So, while it's still The Expanse, it's not quite the same Expanse we knew from SyFy. I can see this turning a few die-hards off, but overall I think I'm liking what I see (and hear.)

- Some characters are in very different places, mentally and physically and otherwise, than they were before, though so far I'm buying the transitions and nobody reads as "off" (at least not yet.)

- There's been a time jump, as one might expect, so a good bit of this episode is establishment/"where they are now", with callbacks to previous seasons of the show and events from the book, plus new material that has been integrated to maintain character arcs and interactions.

- The first episode picks a bit of an odd place to end, IMHO; I think they're counting on binge watchers just plowing straight through, so concluding points may not be considered as important a punctuation as they would be for weekly-airing shows.

- Lest I forget: New opening credits! Not just minor tweaks like in previous seasons (like when Deimos was destroyed), but new shots altogether in with the old.

TL,DR: One episode down, very much enjoyed, and I'm still cheering in my head that the show is back from the dead. The ship's logo should be a phoenix, because the Roci's risen from the ashes and is more beautiful than ever.

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I binged the lot, so my eyes are like poached eggs. At least it distracted from the pain in my left elbow.

And now I have a hell of a wait, until S5 is released.

I thought it much better than the last half of S3, which is not terribly surprising. They had a full 10 episodes in which to deliver the story. The one major problem I did have was that the bad guy was a little too moustache twirlingly nasty. I thought that could have been a little more subtle and nuanced.

Anything with David Straithairn in it is usually worth watching. I think he's one of those actors, like Patrick Stewart, where you get your moneysworth, and this performance was no different.

Overall I enjoyed S4 and thought it worth the wait. Interesting where they left it and what they have set up for S5.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DW and I binged season 4 this weekend.

I've read all seven books. Most are enjoyable popcorn, with compelling world-building but uneven characters. Book 4 has always seemed the weakest in the book series to me; I nearly put it down. For my money, the TV adaptation is far better than the source material. No, or only super mild, spoilers below.

Caveat: I honestly can't be sure how well I remember the events of book 4, nor frankly of book 5. I only read them once, and not recently.

I'm fairly certain the TV series has pulled forward plot-points from book 5 into season 4. And I'm somewhat sure I don't remember Bobbie's involvement in what Mars is clandestinely doing. I'm almost certain that details about Naomi's past weren't shared in season 4's source material, but were revealed in book 5.

That said, I think these changes worked well. I think doing some set-up to what happens in book 5 added tension, and makes sense in terms of giving the TV series a more consistent narrative arc?

Amos continues to be my favorite character. "Thanks." Hahaha, how perfectly Amos.

I thought both Naomi and Alex's characters were... smoother? than they have been. The TV series has always fleshed-out Naomi far better than the books, but I thought season 4 did a very nice job with her, despite giving her what seemed like relatively less on-screen time?

Overall, a very nice set-up for season 5, which now I must wait for, wahhhhhhh. :cry:

Last edited: