Any clean YA authors here?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Many of my YA story ideas tend to be more tame. My teenage years were not full of experiences with drugs, alcohol, and sex, so in my story ideas I like to explore the very real and high-stakes drama that can occur in the lives of teens who do not have that particular brand of conflict.

With that said, if the story calls for darker themes, I won't shy away from it.

I'm similar and different to you - my teenage years were also not full of drugs, alcohol and sex, so perhaps I look into those things in my work because they're an experience very outside my own! That said, I hear you: things that might seem less drama packed can very much feel like they have high stakes. Exams, for example.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I'm similar and different to you - my teenage years were also not full of drugs, alcohol and sex, so perhaps I look into those things in my work because they're an experience very outside my own! That said, I hear you: things that might seem less drama packed can very much feel like they have high stakes. Exams, for example.

Yes, I agree! I have written some stories that explore quite dark sides that I did not experience. That's the great thing about fiction: it can be a nice way to sort of have a vicarious experience.

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an author because I'm not published yet but my book has no swearing or any of the things you mentioned.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
My teen years were extremely tame and I hung out with a group of friends that were the same. No drinking, no smoking, no boyfriends - they were studious and I was introverted. Due to my own experiences, my characters don't tend to engage in those activities. It isn't out of judgement of young people who were different to me, it's more that it wouldn't come naturally and would certainly require a lot of research!!