Got a good rejection today

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
I got my first non-form rejection on a short story today. The story is Death, early version posted here

A managing submissions editor said "You're a talented writer; there's no question about that. Ultimately, my feeling is that this story may do best in an anthology, or a print magazine." and then went on to write a several paragraph detail on why, which included detailed reasons that I wouldn't feel right repeating here, but had to do with anticipated reactions to the piece (ones that I hadn't considered, but are valid) rather than the content or writing. But her response showed that she'd definitely read (and maybe re-read) my work, and it was just pretty cool to see. I even felt it deserved a thank you and response to her response, which I wouldn't usually do.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a fantastic rejection! (Is this the only industry where we say things like that without being sarcastic?)

Are you going to look for anthologies or print mags?

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a fantastic rejection! (Is this the only industry where we say things like that without being sarcastic?)I thought so! And yes, I think it might be.

Are you going to look for anthologies or print mags?

I am. I did a first round of various online zines and such, and I'm going to do another round soon (soon being anytime between next week and a couple months from now). This story may turn into a series of shorts so I'd like to get the first one published somewhere. I know it's a difficult subject matter so that might make it harder.

Coddiwomple

shipwrecked in antiquity
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that's great, MadAlice! Congratulations! That story — it's gripping and real and so well-written.

(Yes, it's odd that a fantastic rejection is worth celebrating. You've just achieved my dream. :yessmiley)

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! That was a great piece.

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I really like this piece, and I'm trying to find more places to submit. With the subject matter, it's proving a challenge.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I've yet to experience anything but form rejections so I appreciate why that gave you a lift :)

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I just read that piece. Very well written and… you’ve got guts.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
I saved my rejections because I knew the day would come that I'd get an acceptance. Keep pushing and best of luck to you.

Stew Adams

Registered
Reaction score
That's fantastic news, congrats!

Also, good effort on replying with a thanks to a rejection. I don't know what you normally write but seems like the editor would love for you to submit more stuff if it falls inside their parameters?