• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Space: How NASA safe-guards Apollo moon rocks

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating. I never gave it much thought, and to read the details of what they must do makes me really respect those who designed and implemented the processes used to keep these samples uncontaminated.

Lunar samples have solved plenty of mysteries, with more answers to come

Science News said:
I’m not allowed to touch the moon rocks.

In the room where NASA stores the samples that Apollo astronauts brought to Earth decades ago, I peer at rocks and trays of dirt through glass. But my tour guides are firm: Nobody touches the moon rocks.

This is the pristine sample lab at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. Being here is a big deal for me. I’ve spent years looking at cosmic rocks from a distance — my childhood involved lots of stargazing through a telescope, and in my college lab job, I processed pictures of Mars. I’ve been itching to scoop up a handful of alien sand and let it run through my fingers. Today, the opportunity feels as close as it is unlikely.

Before entering this clean room, I remove all my jewelry, including my wedding ring. My guides and I cover our shoes with blue paper booties and step into full-body jumpsuits with zippers from navel to neck and snaps at the ankles, wrists and throat. Once in the white bunny suits, we put on neoprene gloves, a hair cover, plus a pair of knee-high boots pulled over the blue booties. Finally, we spend a full minute standing in a phone booth–sized air shower, under a steady breeze blowing from ceiling to floor to clear us of any lingering dust.

Inside the clean room, I face another barrier: The rocks are stored in secure, pressurized cabinets — like big terrariums — filled with pure nitrogen. The only way to reach the samples is by sticking already-gloved hands into another set of gloves that wave from the cabinets like zombie arms.

Only five people in the world get to routinely handle these precious pebbles, sample processor Charis Krysher tells me. She’s one of them. But even Krysher and the lucky few can’t touch the samples directly. To pick up an Apollo rock, Krysher must either use stainless steel tweezers or slide her fingers into a third set of gloves made of Teflon.