• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can't Pick a Point of View

Goettsch

Registered
Reaction score
I went through a major writing slump that lasted years, but I'm trying to get back in the saddle. After spending about a month working on and off getting the major details of my world set in writing, I've been trying to do some practice scenes and chapters. However, this hasn't been easy, especially because I can't decide what perspective to use.

I usually write the first draft in first person. The metaphors and descriptions are easier, since I'm "in the character's head" as you put it, and I know what they would think and say. The downside is that my pacing takes a severe blow and I have an extremely difficult time moving from scene to scene (i.e. progressing the story/passage) in a natural-sounding way. When I write in third-person, this isn't a problem. This is why I've been rewriting in third person when I hit a block. I mostly just incorporate the word choices I like from the first draft. Third person is also easier to improvise when I don't have a plan in mind.

I don't think writing everything twice is feasible or reasonable, though the practice might be worth it.

Anyone know what to do?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
If you are having trouble writing certain things in first person, then you could dedicate some time to reading books written in first, just to get some ideas how other authors deal with passage of time, scene breaks etc there. That is, if you prefer to continue writing in first person. From what you're saying though, it seems that writing in third person comes easier for you as there seem to be no snags. Except maybe that part where you say first is more "in the character's head". But you can be "in the character's head" in third person just the same. Maybe dedicate some time to reading a few books written in close third? Third person can be really "close", too.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of first person. That said, there seems to be a trend nowadays to mix first and third in the same novel. I've read a couple of books like that recently. Not a big fan of those either, but the mixed mode seemed to add a lot to the stories. The Martian, for example, wouldn't have been possible in first person only. Obviously (I hope) the switch has to occur at chapter breaks.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I had the same problem. Write in third until you get stuck. Sort out the character thoughts in first then convert it back to third. This way you only have to break third for a scene or paragraph.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a case of use whatever method helps you get the story down on the page.

Of course, I am not sure how you write, whether you create a first draft that is a mess, or one that is good to go with just a little rejigging. If it is the former, however, you would still be at the preliminary stage, so whether your original draft is in first or third person pov, seems moot, when substantial rewrites and revisions would be expected anyway.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I usually write the first draft in first person. The metaphors and descriptions are easier, since I'm "in the character's head" as you put it, and I know what they would think and say.

You can do all that in close/deep third. Since the rest of your pro/con list is all pro for third, it seems sensible to switch to a deep third perspective for this project.

Goettsch

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions

I think it's a case of use whatever method helps you get the story down on the page.

Of course, I am not sure how you write, whether you create a first draft that is a mess, or one that is good to go with just a little rejigging. If it is the former, however, you would still be at the preliminary stage, so whether your original draft is in first or third person pov, seems moot, when substantial rewrites and revisions would be expected anyway.
I agree with your logic (I'm definitely more of the former). Even if my method takes longer, I'm still getting the best of both worlds with extra practice.

You can do all that in close/deep third. Since the rest of your pro/con list is all pro for third, it seems sensible to switch to a deep third perspective for this project.
I looked up this term, and it sounds similar to what I'm trying to achieve when I rewrite in third person. Could you give me any examples of books that use this method?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I looked up this term, and it sounds similar to what I'm trying to achieve when I rewrite in third person. Could you give me any examples of books that use this method?

Sure! Any particular genres you enjoy?

I write in deep third so feel free to PM if you wanted me to look at some passages and tell you how I would deep third them. Obviously we all have our own style but it could give you an idea.

AubreyTCopeland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sounds to me like you need to write some scenes in first person and others in third; then, once you're done, convert one over to third or first depending on what seems natural. I realize this sounds a bit messy, but most projects are a tad on the messy side. Anyway, that's what I would do. Don't shoot me if it doesn't work! :tongue

Goettsch

Registered
Reaction score
Sure! Any particular genres you enjoy?

I write in deep third so feel free to PM if you wanted me to look at some passages and tell you how I would deep third them. Obviously we all have our own style but it could give you an idea.

If I don't have the book you suggest, I'd very much appreciate the opportunity to look at your work.

I'm trying to read as many classics as I can (both modern and old). Is there one you know of that uses this technique? If not, just list off anything you like :).

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
This may be of no help to you what so ever but have you considered that maybe which POV to write in isn't the problem, it's which character you're writing it? If you're truly inside the characters head it's really not that hard to drum out what they see, think and feel. Maybe you haven't found the right character, not just to tell your story but one you can click with.