ISBN for EBooks?

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
I know Amazon assigns one to your book when you upload it, but do I need one for B&N, Kobo, and iTunes?

AubreyTCopeland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
That depends on a lot of things. If you're doing traditional publishing, that'll all be decided by the publisher.

If you're self-publishing (which it sounds like you are), it depends on how you're going about it. Is it an ebook only? If so, you'll only need one if you're using IngramSpark over KDP. If you're using KDP, I don't think they require one. If they do, however, I think they'll probably provide one for you. IngramSpark, however, I can 100% confirm they require one for ebooks. Print editions will require an ISBN basically with any company you use, but based on the context, it sounds like you only mean ebooks.

This may be more info than you need, but it's everything I know from personal experience as a self-published author. Hope this helps!

--A.T.C.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I know Amazon assigns one to your book when you upload it, but do I need one for B&N, Kobo, and iTunes?
No. B&N provides an ISBN for ebooks as well as print books you publish through them. Kobo provides an ISBN for ebooks. (They don't do print.) I go to iTunes through Draft2Digital and they provide an ISBN for that. So not 100% positive for if you go direct with them but I don't believe you need one there either.

I self-published for five years in print and ebook without ever needing to buy an ISBN. Only reason I finally broke down and did so was because I was publishing print books through IngramSpark and they require that you have your own. (And do not use IS for ebooks, BTW.)

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score
No. B&N provides an ISBN for ebooks as well as print books you publish through them. Kobo provides an ISBN for ebooks. (They don't do print.) I go to iTunes through Draft2Digital and they provide an ISBN for that. So not 100% positive for if you go direct with them but I don't believe you need one there either.

Okay, thanks. Also, is iTunes the same as Apple books? Because I didn't see iTunes listed as a distributor on D2D.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
From what I can tell from online info you can buy books through both the iTunes app and the Apple Books app, but the book comes from publisher Apple Books as AW Admin says.

https://www.apple.com/apple-books/
https://books.apple.com/us/genre/books/id38

The difference seems to be that thru Apple Books app you get only books, thru ITunes app you can get books and music and video and etc.

Sarah M

Registered
Reaction score