two peppercorns
lemon zest.

Make jam out of it.

It's really nice.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds really good! Are they regular black peppercorns?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Will have to try this! I might try lime juice instead...

Very ripe mango, or not so ripe? Did you mash the fruit, or just tiny-cube it up?

How much sugar, relative to fruit? Did it gel up okay without added pectin?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is, in fact, delicious.

I'm a terrible recipe follower with jams because I don't like them too sweet so I do it all to taste. I used four mangoes (diced and frozen in summer - it's midwinter here now). Two of them were barely ripe, the other two just ripe enough. I don't like pectin, so I always use some under-ripe fruit and hope that it's pectin-rich. Some is, some isn't. If it isn't I call it a syrup. ;).

I put the frozen mango chunks in a bowl with maybe a third cup of sugar to bring out the juices while they melted (no heat at this stage).

Then - into a pan on very low heat with a splash of water and a couple of regular black peppercorns, stir occasionally, cook till the mango has softened. Took them off the heat, splashed in some brandy (again - to taste: I didn't want it to overpower anything.)

Then squeezed juice of one lemon in, and some lemon zest to taste, moved it all to a blender just for a moment (I like jams chunky) back onto the low heat until it just began to simmer, stirred it and fine-tuned the lemon. It passed the chilled-saucer-gel-test on the first attempt, and this morning it's gelled very nicely, though it's a touch sweeter than I like, so I'll be adding more lemon juice and zest before I use it. Maybe some thyme?

I'd play around with the pepper next time,too - it's there now, but the sugar overload makes the pepper hard to catch - it's more aftertaste.

The base taste of mango is at the forefront (and has a lovely mouthfeel!) with lemon and a slight background heat from the pepper. Although - yeah - too much sugar, really for my taste. It sweetened overnight.

Served on home-made crusty white sourdough with home-made butter, oh my.

Last edited: