Writing Excuses podcast

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
I've been listening through seasons 13 and 14 and I've found them to be full of useful advice. Is anyone else listening to this? Are th early seasons just as valuable?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and yes. And it's entertaining, too.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
The Gift (Directed by Sam Raimi. With Cate Blanchett, Katie Holmes, Keanu Reeves, Giovanni Ribisi)

This movie was highly entertaining. :)

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
You in the right thread, Auteur?

Anyways, I've listened to all of season 1 and am on the last episode of season 2 now. So far, I've found it helpful. I do think some things they talk about in the early episodes are a bit outdated, but not enough for those episodes to be useless. I will say this, though: You have to have a strong tolerance for affluent, white, Christian, male privilege because those guys exude it. I haven't listened to the newer seasons yet (I like to follow chronological order because I'm a bit OCD), so I can't compare the old episodes with the new.

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I hated it when they 'disclosed' they were on a cruise with an (affluent) audience joining them (for a fee I likely can't afford, thus the hatred ^_^). But on the plus side, I really like Mary Robinette Kowal's voice. She makes an excellent audiobook narrator.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
I think that her addition to the cast really helped things out, although I fell out of listening around... I forget which season. When they started guiding the writing prompts at the end of the episodes towards 'we're taking you through a writing course,' direction.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I listened to a large part of season 1 on my cross-country drive this week and while there wasn't earth-shatteringly new in there for me (possibly specifically because it was the first season, so touching in a lot of fairly fundamental topics) a number of things were articulated in such a way as be to deeply thought-provoking and give a fresh perspective on the topic at hand. Definitely worthwhile, and yes entertaining.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
You in the right thread, Auteur?

I will say this, though: You have to have a strong tolerance for affluent, white, Christian, male privilege because those guys exude it. I haven't listened to the newer seasons yet (I like to follow chronological order because I'm a bit OCD), so I can't compare the old episodes with the new.

On this end of time, they are reasonably conscious of that. While the guys and Mary Robinette are still the backbone, they have a rotating stable of regular guest hosts from more varied backgrounds and this season they're doing a sub-series of episodes with Tempest Bradford of Writing the Other.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I've listened to every episode, every season over the past few months. I find them extremely helpful. There have been a few take-aways I have been trying to apply to my writing and have been noticing in what I read and watch. Specifically, "Yes, but; no, and," and keeping in mind the promises to the reader.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
I love Writing Excuses!! I've listened to every episode (and some of the earlier seasons multiple times.) I used to do a lot of driving for my previous job and I'd just load a bunch of them up on my phone and listen to them and think about my own writing. They helped me immensely, and I probably wouldn't be where I'm at with writing right now if it wasn't for that podcast. I do agree that some of the earlier seasons aren't especially great, but around season 4 (I think) when they add Mary Robinette Kowal, it starts to get a lot better.

Side note, I got to meet Mary at a conference last year and sat two chairs away from her at dinner and silently fan-girled the whole time. She's an awesome human-being.