blue tree with lights

AW Is an Amazon Associate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: "Different to" in US English?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya Heaney View Post
    In the genres I read/write the issue people have with "gotten" is that US editors put into the mouths of dukes and duchesses in London ...
    True, though it would depend on the period. Not sure when it fell out of "respectable" usage in the UK (sometime after North America was colonized), but if you go back far enough, "gotten" was more commonly used in Britain than it is today.

I was referring more to some of the folks making comments in the article I linked. A number just couldn't admit that it is ever okay to use "gotten," and their implication was that it is sloppy and unimaginative, even in dialects where it is still normal.

The issue of historical fiction and historical romances (or even a contemporary work) set in Britain being edited into (or simply written in) modern US English is something I notice. It becomes more distracting to me, actually, the closer a setting gets to modern times. Maybe it's because books set really far back would entail characters speaking dialects so different from modern English (in any country) that the author is almost translating from another language, so they might as well write it in modern English (minus glaringly modern idioms or anachronistic concepts).
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 12-04-2019 at 02:43 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog